Re: [SCA-JML] Shirabyoshi....

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 27, 2008
      On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 8:04 AM, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...> wrote:
      > I am so sorry I dint mean to imply that some were not tolerant ...I just dint want to offend anyone and cause a derailment on the thread...I'm part of two other groups and a good topic sometimes get obscured and then everyone is gossiping instead of enlightening others.
      > Some things I keep to myself...tho it is hard to know that if you ever meet me...I'm an open book...but it is very hard to judge what one should reveal about ones self to a group of people.
      >
      > as I see it I have really confused a lot of people...and I am truly sorry it was not my intent.
      >
      > below is the copy of the letter I wrote to Anthony

      As an historian, amateur or otherwise, I cannot prove that Christ rose
      from the dead. Neither can I prove that Siddartha Gautama achieved
      nirvana. In religion, though I may use bits of history, logic, and
      rhetoric, my beliefs come down to faith.

      I'm sorry, but I cannot reach inside your dreams and prove them. In
      truth, were I to do so, it would be poor scholarship on my part. What
      we can do is show you the sources.

      You've brought up a complex subject. There is a large grey area here.
      If you want, you can e-mail me off-list and describe your dreams in
      detail and I will attempt to tell you whether they match the
      historical record in any way, shape, or form. You must be open with
      me and yourself, however, and describe it to your fullest, and please
      do not be upset if the historical record does not agree with your
      beliefs or does not provide proof of them.

      From what I have seen on the subject, though, different dances with
      tachi or ken (not 'taichi'--taichi sword usually refers to a Chinese
      jian, which in the Tang period was similar to the straight,
      double-edged swords [ken/tsurugi] Japan was using at the same time)
      have come down. You have bugaku, from Chinese and Korean music and
      dance, built on by centuries of Japanese tradition. You have 'stage'
      dancing like kabuki and noh. You have religious dances at Shinto
      shrines. You have records of shirabyoshi dancers (though I don't know
      if the dances have been handed down--that would be some serious
      research).

      So, best thing to do: Describe the dance and the accoutrement.
      Describe it in English: when you use Japanese words, they have very
      specific meanings. Unless you are 100% sure of the meaning of the
      word, avoid it. For instance, 'tachi' is a particular type of sword,
      and denotes a specific timeframe, etc.

      As I said, however, I cannot claim that I will prove your vision as
      historical, and may give you evidence to the contrary. If that isn't
      what you want, then I would not pursue this further. Either this is
      important enough for you to believe it in face of contrary evidence
      (faith) and you must be willing to allow others their disbelief, or
      you should be willing to accept that the dream may not be what you
      believe it to be.