Re: [SCA-JML] ok another question...sorry so thick

  • Anthony Bryant
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 22, 2008
      Re. shirabyôshi:

      I think what we need to do is look at the Japanese view of
      shirabyôshi. Just doing a look on the Japanese wiki page on them, for
      example, the third sentence is:

      男装の遊女が今様や朗詠を歌いながら舞ったもの
      dansô no asobime ga imayô ya rôei wo utainagara odotta mono.
      This was "asobime" dressed as men singing imayô and rôei while
      dancing.

      First: imayô and rôei were types of songs, so don't worry about that.
      The issue is "asobime."

      Asobime were courtesans. The word is a compound of the kanji "play"
      and "woman." We have to remember the general attitude toward
      performers and dancers and actors through history. Not exactly high-
      society or high-culture folks. Being an actress was a step above a
      harlot (perhaps) in most views until fairly recently (somewhat
      ironical considering some of the actresses out there today).

      Yes, some of them became mistresses of powerful men. Nell Gwynne did,
      too. That doesn't mean she was high society.

      Some shirabyôshi had been miko (shrine maidens) as well, but at some
      point, you gotta make a living.