Re: [SCA-JML] plaid ok?

  • Jeanel Walker
    Message 1 of 52 , Oct 21, 2008
      http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg208/brytephyre/101_1293.jpg

      ok the pic dint show so I'll try this

      --- On Tue, 10/21/08, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...> wrote:
      From: Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...>
      Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] plaid ok?
      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, October 21, 2008, 9:50 PM

      the plaid that I have is a med weight cotton ....it has two types of green and one blue in it along with a gold thread

      I have attached a pic hope you can see it

      Change is in the heart... age is in the mind... Beauty and or truth is in the eye of the beholder.... But Kindness is Eternal.

      Jeanel Walker

      Date: Tuesday, October 21, 2008, 9:21 PM

      On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@ yahoo. com> wrote:

      > I have a question...I have seen several pic of earlier kimonos and they look checkered and plaid

      > did they have plaid kimonos back then....for I have some nice plaid material but my prosona is Japanese.

      > any help to this question would be grateful

      What kind of plaid?

      Wool plaid--possible through trade, but unlikely.

      A nice plaid linen, however, would have been very popular. Usually

      more checkered--I don't know that I've seen the complex plaids as we

      see in Scotland, etc., but you have good evidence for various types of

      simple plaids.

    • tatsumechan
      Message 52 of 52 , Oct 31, 2008
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:

        > On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 1:45 AM, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...> wrote:
        > > Bless you and thank you for clearing that up for me.
        > >
        > > I've come across a name "Kaida" meaning little dragon
        > > how do I find out if its before my date line
        > > I wanted to put "ma" with it meaning dance so that it would look
        like Kaidama -little dragon dancing.

        > Where did you find the name?
        >
        > FYI, it doesn't sound like it means what you say it does. 'Ryu' or
        > 'Tatsu' are words for dragon. 'Ko' 'O' or 'Sho' are typically the
        > words for little. 'Mai' might be dancing, but not in this instance.
        >
        > Where are you located at? Perhaps we can find someone with a copy of
        > the Big Japanese Name Book. I believe 'Tatsume' might be possible.
        > You'll also want a family name.
        >

        > -Ii Katsumori

        In Solveig-sensei's book that the herald's had "Tatsume" was written
        as 龍賣, which if I'm correct has been translated as "Dragon woman". I
        don't know if there's a name that means "dragon dance" that's period.

        Tatsume