Re: [SCA-JML] Sleeve containment, was Re: Introduction and question

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 19, 2008
      On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 12:33 AM, <Luiseach@...> wrote:

      > Ii-dono,
      >
      > The hitatare sleeves in the picture from the costume museum look like the
      > left is held in the forearm armour and the right is wrapped to the back around
      > the man's arm and secured to his belt--am I interpreting that correctly? If
      > so, would the lace at the bottom of the sleeve be used for the purpose or
      > would ha have had some sort of variant on a tasuke?
      >
      > Luighseach

      You mean here?
      http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukushoku/f_disp.php?page_no=0000086

      The right sleeve is tied about the wrist with the cords of the
      hitatare and the left is encased inside the kote. He is in
      partial-dress--good for walking about camp when you need to be ready
      to put on your armour, but not immediately. The 'cords' you see are
      the cords for the kote (his armoured sleeve) which appears to match,
      but is not actually attached to, the hitatare. FYI, the reason the
      hitatare cords are actually used here is because he would be getting
      ready for archery--the o-yoroi he would be wearing on the battlefield
      was notoriously assymmetrical because your two hands did different
      tasks.

      Sometimes I have seen it where the sleeve appears to be taken off and
      attached at the waist-ties or obi. In such a case, no tasuke is
      needed. Just tuck it into the waist ties or obi (or leave them behind
      you). Once you put on the armour, you are going to pretty much keep
      them in place. Personally, I find another layer of padding on my arms
      is not necessarily a bad thing.