Re: Unable to deliver your message

  • Cowan Jeremy
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2008
      I thought perhaps I might join the discussion here. However, as it is my first time posting here I thought a short introduction was in order. I am not a member of SCA, though I would be very interested in finding other Japanese "personalities" to hang out with and learn from in the Chicago area. I study aikido, kyudo, and Shinbukan Kuroda Ryugi. I'm overweight and not as limber as I really should be to do all that, but I'm getting better. I am also teaching myself the (modern) Japanese language.

      We do tatehiza for Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu (different Kanji from the more famous Tamiya Ryu). If you watch videos of Kuroda Sensei (like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6z_aWw7Oo4 ) and other iaido practitioners, they can sometimes make it look easy to get up from tatehiza. One of the secrets is to use your tanden properly (like Martin said). But another, as far as I understand it, is that you should not put your left foot under your center (so that your heel is in your butt crack). I believe the left leg should pretty much be in the same position that it is for seiza. If your knee isn't flexible enough, like mine, then this becomes a delicate balancing act.

      Good luck!
      Jeremy

    • Rich Goble
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 8, 2008
        Hi Jeremy!

        This response to the list is so folks know that someone answered you; I'll contact you privately by email. I live near you and know other folks in the area.

        - Imagawa Tadamori