Re: Kosode options for the single young woman of the Sengoku Jidai

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2008
      I do not know that much about the clothing question. However, as far as
      weapons go I am not aware of any official regulations in any province
      or from the bakufu limiting the types of weapons women were ALLOWED to
      carry as opposed to men of the same status, at least not before the
      Tokugawa period. But, I believe that even in the Sengoku Jidai it would
      have been socially awkward for a women to walk around town carrying a
      weapon other than some form of dagger. At least, openly. As far as
      disguised or hidden weapons, who knows for sure. Now in times to war
      this could be different. It is more of an Edo period idea that the
      naginata was a woman's weapon, however I believe that the root is found
      in the 16th century as the practice of women using naginata as a home
      defensive weapon become more common. There were men who carried
      naginata onto the battlefield, although fewer since the increased
      popularity of the spear, and there were also some samurai women that
      were trained in the use of more weapons than just the naginata and
      dagger. But, even in the 15th or 16th century I think unlike men, it
      would have been weird to see a womam, even if buke status, carrying
      swords or spears, or even naginata around with them on a daily basis.
    • Elaine Koogler
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2008
        Now there may be more recently located information, but I did find
        information at one point...I can't remember where...that Samurai women
        frequently carried an /aikuchi/ in the fold of their kosode much as they
        also carried a kind of billfold and a fan. I've never seen anything to
        dispute this, so it is something I usually do, especially with formal garb.

        Kiri
        Atlantia