Kosode options for the single young woman of the Sengoku Jidai

  • backhanded.compliment
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2008
      Hello to all.

      I have a few questions.

      Was the kosode in the sengoku jidai comparable to the furisode for an
      unmarried young woman of 20, notably the daughter of a Samurai and a
      merchant? Or was there a different set of clothes for her to wear? What
      weapons would she be allowed to carry on her person?

      On another note, I am having such difficulty if finding a good name for
      my persona that has proof of existance back then. I wanted her given
      name to be Tsukiyo. Yet, I can't find it.

      I would be very honored if you could be of assistance to me.

      Lady Tsukiyo
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2008
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "backhanded.compliment"
        <backhanded.compliment@...> wrote:
        > Was the kosode in the sengoku jidai comparable to the furisode for an
        > unmarried young woman of 20, notably the daughter of a Samurai and a
        > merchant? Or was there a different set of clothes for her to wear?

        The whole sleeve/obi/neckline = marital/social status is an Edo period
        development. There is some evidence of furisode existing prior to
        1600, but they were worn only by small children.

        There are some examples of what a woman of the samurai caste would
        wear at the Kyoto Costume Museum here:
        http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/29.htm
        While they technically have their own names depending on whether it is
        an undergarment layer or the outermost worn open like a coat, she's
        basically wearing several layers of kosode-form garments.

        Basically, a woman of higher social status would have kosode of better
        and more decorated materials than one of lower social status.

        > What weapons would she be allowed to carry on her person?
        I'll defer this answer to the bushi on the list. Weapons are what one
        has guards for. ;-D

        Likewise, I shall defer to the name mavens on that question.

      • Scott
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2008
          I do not know that much about the clothing question. However, as far as
          weapons go I am not aware of any official regulations in any province
          or from the bakufu limiting the types of weapons women were ALLOWED to
          carry as opposed to men of the same status, at least not before the
          Tokugawa period. But, I believe that even in the Sengoku Jidai it would
          have been socially awkward for a women to walk around town carrying a
          weapon other than some form of dagger. At least, openly. As far as
          disguised or hidden weapons, who knows for sure. Now in times to war
          this could be different. It is more of an Edo period idea that the
          naginata was a woman's weapon, however I believe that the root is found
          in the 16th century as the practice of women using naginata as a home
          defensive weapon become more common. There were men who carried
          naginata onto the battlefield, although fewer since the increased
          popularity of the spear, and there were also some samurai women that
          were trained in the use of more weapons than just the naginata and
          dagger. But, even in the 15th or 16th century I think unlike men, it
          would have been weird to see a womam, even if buke status, carrying
          swords or spears, or even naginata around with them on a daily basis.
        • Elaine Koogler
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2008
            Now there may be more recently located information, but I did find
            information at one point...I can't remember where...that Samurai women
            frequently carried an /aikuchi/ in the fold of their kosode much as they
            also carried a kind of billfold and a fan. I've never seen anything to
            dispute this, so it is something I usually do, especially with formal garb.

            Kiri
            Atlantia