Re: Sitting Seiza

  • konradvonb
    Message 1 of 36 , Oct 1 1:52 PM
      Seiza is painful, but tatehiza is way worse.

      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "tatsumechan" <kanamori.tatsume@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Wow. This question got a whole lot more input than I expected and
      > > all been useful. Random thought that just popped into my head, I
      > > wonder how many people would show up to a "Tips about sitting
      > > class at Pennsic.
      > >
      > > But yeah, basically this is what I get as major points:
      > > 1) your legs are going to fall asleep regardless
      > > 2) sit up straight
      > > 3) not everyone can do it (weight and flexibility being an issue)
      > >
      > > I'm glad they had us sit cross legged in elementary school for
      > > long assemblies.
      > >
      > > Arigatou gozaimasu Minna-dono
      > >
      > > Tatsume

    • Marten
      Message 36 of 36 , Oct 10 8:55 AM
        Ohayo Gozaimashita,

        Basically what he said below is what I have read about and been told by
        Stroud Sensei. Thus the oldest iaido forms are the Okuden Tachiwaza
        which are felt to have been part of the original Hayashizaki-ryu (with
        thee possible exception of the Itomagoi waza which are performed from

        These forms are shown here <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhH_tPEnHFU>
        and suetome alone is shown here
        <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmNKFZ21GEM> .

        Forms or kata are listed as follows
        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mus%C5%8D_Shinden-ry%C5%AB#Okuden> :

        1. Ikizure
        2. Tsure-dachi
        3. Somakuri (Continuous Attack)
        4. Sodome (Attack One After Another)
        5. Shinobu (Secret Attack)
        6. Yukichigai (Receive and redirect the opponent's attack)
        7. Sodesuri-gaeshi (Pushing Through the Crowd)
        8. Mon-iri (Entering Through the Gate)
        9. Kabezoi (By the Wall)
        10. Uke-nagashi
        11. Ryohi-hikitsure
        12. Oikake-giri
        13. Gishiki
        Having said that, I've been authoritatively told that you can start an
        iaido enbu with any form you want, as long as it's Mae
        <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b6MXeNJnkA> . [;)]

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
        > On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 9:48 PM, Rick Johnson rikjohnson@... wrote:
        > > I watched that video last night and wondered what Lord would allow
        anyone to sit in a ready-posture that would make it so easy for them to
        draw, rise and attack?