Re: [SCA-JML] inquiring about a name possibility

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 23, 2008

      > My son, also, is looking. He likes a given name of Yoshi, which I
      > think works. For a surname, tho, he wants Wakizashi, after the
      > sword.
      > This would come out as Wakizashi Yoshi. Aside from the two "shi"
      > syllables, which are a bit strange to my tongue, would this work?

      In a word, no. The two shi syllables are not the problem. The problem
      is that Wakizashi is not a name. Also, while Yoshi is arguably a name,
      it would generally work better as part of a nanori such as Hideyoshi.
      Finally, if your son intends to be part of the buke (military class),
      then
      he should have a middle name. These middle names usually
      express birth order and possibly membership in one of the ancient
      uji such as the Minamoto or Tachibana.