Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese Folklore

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 15, 2008
      On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 1:14 AM, Jamie Picon A.K.A. Jacob Simon
      <perfectchef@...> wrote:
      > I'm looking for help with some Japanese folktales, specifically dealing
      > with the value of a person. Can anyone help?

      I can't think of much as far as monetary value, but if you have more
      detail I might be able to offer a suggestion. That said, my
      recommendations start with a mirror of what was already offered:

      "Japanese Tales" by Royall Tyler

      "Konjaku Monogatari" aka "Tales of a Time Now Past" (English version
      I've found is abridged, but it contains stories written down in the
      Kamakura era, iirc)

      "Nihongi" or "Nihon Shoki" and "Kojiki". These are the early
      chronicles of Japan, and contain a lot of good stories, especially in
      the earlier periods. These stories can work very well if you can work
      through the long names.

      "Riverside Counselor's Stories". These are a collection of stories
      from around the 11th century, translated into English.

      Not Japanese, but I also recommend looking at Chuang Tzu (aka
      Zhuangzi) and various Chinese tales as well, since I've seen them on
      both sides of the 'belt'.

      Hope that helps.