sumo

  • lynnx@enteract.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 18, 2000
      "Sally"? I think i missed a paragraph or 2...

      > > Incidentally, as I recall at least, Takamiyama had a post Sumo
      > > extra income from doing futon TV commercials where he held
      > > the futon on end by both sides and pulled out the two sides
      > > saying ni'mai ni'mai to illustrate the double layer feature
      > > of that particular shikibuton.
      >
      > An oft-parodied commercial. <G>

      Got a source for that so I could see it? Sounds cute.

      (remembering an advertisement contest, where I think Japan
      took Funniest, for a soap commercial with an ...uh,
      unavoidable faux pas... in the traditional bath. Still
      snickering over that one)

      > As I recall, he was called Takao and changed his name to
      > Futahaguro. Then he went off to play professional wrestler.)

      Not i *hope* "Hulk Hogan" et. all???!! (yes i am sure i
      just date-stamped myself with that ref ;-)

      Hey, has anyone heard of a wrestler (US or J) that went by
      "Tsunami"? (Seems a little All-Star-ish for a serious
      rikishi...)

      > (Basically, the Sumo Kyokai was
      > hard pressed to find someone to make yokozuna opposite Chiyonofuji.)

      I assume you mean "make yokozuna" *by beating* Chiyonofuji,
      not just *finding* another yokozuna who could take him out?
      Onokuni ["Giant Panda"] was a yokozuna when he stopped
      Chiyonofuji's 53-win, 26-yusho ("touney" in SCA terms?)
      record. Also ending a reeeal loooong (years?) Bad Hair Day
      for "Panda".

      A scene I'd like to have been there for, since i guess the
      audience absolutely went **nuts** screaming, jumping up and
      down, throwing chair pillows etc. at the ring when "Panda"
      turned the tables on one of his most Difficult opponent (and
      everybody else's too). Unexpected wins are always a blast
      to watch... (Nonetheless I want to be in California or
      Mongolia or *anywhere* but the Chi&suburban area if the Cubs
      ever win a pennant...) ;-P

      (Note: I use short(ened) words like "panda" not out of
      insolence or pseudo-familiarity - but cause i am a lousy
      typist and the shorter the words, the likelier i'll ever
      finish a post)

      > As I recall, Chiyonofuji retired after the death of the Showa emperor.

      BTW what chronological order did these 2 or 3 or ??? periods
      after Edo (meiji, showa, ??) go in?

      YIS
      s.e.
      (Oh No, Not Another Hobby!!!)
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 18, 2000
        lynnx@... wrote:

        > "Sally"? I think i missed a paragraph or 2...

        Konishiki's real name is Salevaa Atisano'e, and his popular nickname was
        "Sally." Don't ask.

        He's since been naturalized Japanese under the name Shiota Yasokichi
        (Shiota being his wife's last name, and Yasokichi being the given name of
        the first Konishiki a century or so ago.

        > > > Incidentally, as I recall at least, Takamiyama had a post Sumo
        > > > extra income from doing futon TV commercials where he held
        > > > the futon on end by both sides and pulled out the two sides
        > > > saying ni'mai ni'mai to illustrate the double layer feature
        > > > of that particular shikibuton.
        > >
        > > An oft-parodied commercial. <G>
        >
        > Got a source for that so I could see it? Sounds cute.

        I wish I could give you one. It's just something that appeared often in
        comedy skits and TV shows when I lived in Japan.

        > Hey, has anyone heard of a wrestler (US or J) that went by
        > "Tsunami"? (Seems a little All-Star-ish for a serious
        > rikishi...)

        Nope...

        > > (Basically, the Sumo Kyokai was
        > > hard pressed to find someone to make yokozuna opposite Chiyonofuji.)
        >
        > I assume you mean "make yokozuna" *by beating* Chiyonofuji,
        > not just *finding* another yokozuna who could take him out?

        No, it's just that when there's only one (or no) yokozuna, sumo gets
        "boring" to some. Without grand champions, what's the point? And butaha...
        uhm, Futahaguro was promoted ahead of his time to be another yokozuna so
        there was someone "else" of Chiyo's stature. Ha.

        > Onokuni ["Giant Panda"] was a yokozuna when he stopped
        > Chiyonofuji's 53-win, 26-yusho ("touney" in SCA terms?)
        > record. Also ending a reeeal loooong (years?) Bad Hair Day
        > for "Panda".

        And incurred the wrath and unending enmity of thousands of sumo fans for
        doing so. Yes, we like the unexpected win, but Onokuni wasn't expected to
        -- and shouldn't have -- defeated Chiyo. It was a surprise to everyone. It
        sealed Onokuni's fate, too, as he was never that popular to begin with.

        > A scene I'd like to have been there for, since i guess the
        > audience absolutely went **nuts** screaming, jumping up and
        > down, throwing chair pillows etc. at the ring when "Panda"
        > turned the tables on one of his most Difficult opponent (and
        > everybody else's too). Unexpected wins are always a blast
        > to watch... (Nonetheless I want to be in California or
        > Mongolia or *anywhere* but the Chi&suburban area if the Cubs
        > ever win a pennant...) ;-P

        I remember watching that one on TV. Not quite the reaction you expected.
        There were a few "whoopie, what an upset," but on the whole it was stunned
        audience reaction shots, and some muttering on the point of the color
        announcers.

        > > As I recall, Chiyonofuji retired after the death of the Showa emperor.
        >
        > BTW what chronological order did these 2 or 3 or ??? periods
        > after Edo (meiji, showa, ??) go in?

        Well, Edo included a whole pile of nengo, beginning in Keicho 5 (1600) and
        ending with Keio 4 in 1868. 1868 was year one of Meiji. Meiji died in 1912,
        and the Taisho period began then. Taisho died in 1926, and that's when the
        Showa era began. Emperor Showa died in 1989. It's now Heisei 12.

        Effingham
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 18, 2000
          Baron Edward!

          About all that I can say for Onokuni is that he made Futahaguro look good.
          *SIGH*

          I suppose that Takamiyama's stable is interesting in that it seems to
          have consisted of primarily or even exclusively Samoans either from
          Hawaii, American Samoa or Western Samoa. (I was just thumbing through
          an old Sumo book and checking out which beya the different rikishi
          were from.)

          | techie.com, msn.com |
        • Mokurai
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 15, 2002
            the underwear is optional. I expect most people will choose to wear sweats
            or medieval pants and just go topless. Of course, if it is freezing cold, we
            may have no takers for the thing anyway. Just have to see...
            But anyone who has the guts to do it in underwear/fundoshi (the traditional
            diaper...) gets extra points in my book and perhaps an extra prize.

            BTW, this is such a pertinent question, I have decided to CC it to the
            lists. Hope you don't mind, Tom!

            - mokurai

          • Richard Brooks
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 16, 2002
              For what it's worth, I have a diagram I drew up in photoshop showing how
              to make and wear Ecchu- fundoshi (the most comfortable style)..I can
              also dig up the URL's for a couple of sites explaining how to wear the
              other styles as well..just in case anyone is brave enough to make the
              attempt..BTW, ecchu fundoshi cover more than alot of bthing suit bottoms
              I'v seen:)

              Mokurai wrote:

              > the underwear is optional. I expect most people will choose to wear
              > sweats
              > or medieval pants and just go topless. Of course, if it is freezing
              > cold, we
              > may have no takers for the thing anyway. Just have to see...
              > But anyone who has the guts to do it in underwear/fundoshi (the
              > traditional
              > diaper...) gets extra points in my book and perhaps an extra prize.
              >
              > BTW, this is such a pertinent question, I have decided to CC it to the
              >
              > lists. Hope you don't mind, Tom!
              >
              > - mokurai

            • Steve Gill
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 16, 2002
                Hi,

                I'm basically just a lurker here, so sorry to intrude, but I can confirm
                that fundoshi are a lot more comfortable than you may think - wore them for
                a week this summer.

                Richard Brooks wrote:

                > For what it's worth, I have a diagram I drew up in photoshop showing how
                > to make and wear Ecchu- fundoshi (the most comfortable style)..I can
                > also dig up the URL's for a couple of sites explaining how to wear the
                > other styles as well..just in case anyone is brave enough to make the
                > attempt..BTW, ecchu fundoshi cover more than alot of bthing suit bottoms
                > I'v seen:)
                >

                > Mokurai wrote:
                >
                > > the underwear is optional. I expect most people will choose to wear
                > > sweats
                > > or medieval pants and just go topless. Of course, if it is freezing
                > > cold, we
                > > may have no takers for the thing anyway. Just have to see...
                > > But anyone who has the guts to do it in underwear/fundoshi (the
                > > traditional
                > > diaper...) gets extra points in my book and perhaps an extra prize.
                > >
                > > BTW, this is such a pertinent question, I have decided to CC it to the
                > >
                > > lists. Hope you don't mind, Tom!
                > >
                > > - mokurai

              • Mokurai
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 16, 2002
                  I'd like to see this stuff, yeah. Maybe have it on hand at the event,
                  although I doubt anyone would be making them that day. That's one class I
                  didn't think to schedule!

                  Thanks.

                  - mokurai

                • Marc Choronzey
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 16, 2002
                    Ohayo all,

                    I would also love to see these designs!

                    -Shisen.

                    ----Original Message Follows----
                    From: "Mokurai" <mokurai@...>

                    I'd like to see this stuff, yeah. Maybe have it on hand at the event,
                    although I doubt anyone would be making them that day. That's one class I
                    didn't think to schedule!

                    Thanks.

                    - mokurai

                    Get faster connections�-- switch to�MSN Internet Access!
                  • michael A
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 16, 2002
                      i would as well.
                      would you please postit to the listsphoto/file section
                      as appropiate.
                      -kiyohara

                      http://faith.yahoo.com