Re: [SCA-JML] Blatant subject change. What are you working on?

  • rayzentz@aim.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 5, 2008
      Hey, a lot of you folks are really into cool stuff.

      Me, I'm still working on a complete Samurai armor kit for my eight year
      old. Kabuki is complete. the Do is finished, complete with the hangy
      tasset thingies (My apologies to those of you who are annoyed by my
      lack of accurate terminology... I'm still very new at this). Should
      have both Sode finished this weekend, and be beginning on Kote. still
      working on... hmm, forgot the word... shinguards.

      All done in Kebiki (?) lacing, red and gold, with red armor pieces
      (plastic, of course, he is only eight).

      He will use this for youth combat in our local area (Arrows' Flight, in
      Artemesia). Our Shire is being elevated to Province status in two
      weeks, and I am trying to have it complete by then.

      I will post process pictures, as soon as I get them developed and in
      digital format.

      Padruig McTavish
      Bard of Arrows' Flight
      Artemesia Youth Combat Marshal
    • Kay Swanson
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 5, 2008
        I'm working on the third volume of my Feudal Japan Epic. Set in 1500 Japan, it follows the heir of Lord Sanematsu Yoshihide, the product of his joining with Portuguese/Welsh shipwreck survivor. The second volume is scheduled for release this fall.
        Thanks for asking.

        Kay Swanson w/a Kei Swanson
        www.keiswanson.com
        THE WORDS OF THE PITCHER, Genesis Press
        A DRUMMER'S BEAT TO MEND, Genesis Press
        EBONY EYES, Genesis Press
        THE SEABIRD OF SANEMATSU, Zumaya Publications
        THE SEASON OF SANEMATSU

      • masahide@summerscauldron.com
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 5, 2008
          Greetings all,

          I'm mostly working on cleanup projects right now.

          I have some Kosode that I bought from an SCA vendor, and later realized
          that they really had no idea how to make kosode, so I have been tearing
          them apart and putting them back together in a way that fits... One down,
          one to go.

          I am also trying to finish up a pair of Tattsuke-bakama that I started a
          while back. These are going to be mostly for camping use, but the pattern
          I'm figuring out will be used for a pair for heavy armor....

          Which leads me to my new armor plans. I had been working on a full kozane
          suit, but kept slowing down on production. Mostly because I'm loosing
          weight, and don't want to make armor that will not fit me. In order to get
          on the field, and wait until I am a better fighter before making a "bling"
          suit, I recently decided to shift to a Tatami Do. This I can sew, etc. So
          once I get my base wearables done, I'm going to start on that.

          Furukusu Masahide
          Barony of Caerthe
          Kingdom of the Outlands

          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 5, 2008
            Saionji-hime,

            BTW, I'm looking at a copy of that Shibori book, as you have inspired me to
            try that as a banner making technique, instead of using a more
            Chinese/French painting method.

            Furukusu Masahide
            Barony of Caerthe
            Kingdom of the Outlands

            >Is anyone working on any interesting projects?

            <snip>

            >I'm also getting ready to start some experiments with shibori
            >techniques. Current reads include Shibori: The Inventive Art of
            >Japanese Shaped Resist Dyeing by Yoshiko Iwamoto Wada, Mary Kellogg
            >Rice, and Jane J. Barton, ISBN 978-4770023995. I LOVE THIS BOOK! Not
            >only are the photos yummy, there are detailed instructions and
            >diagrams of how-to information on various techniques AND historical
            >information. Did I mention that I love this book?
            <snip>

            >Saionji no Hanae
            >West Kingdom

            http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE
          • Jeanel Walker
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 5, 2008
              Thank you....lets see if this works
              tell me what you think?
              Garb at book fair I made for me and my girls Yahoo pics

              Change is in the heart... age is in the mind... Beauty and or truth is in the eye of the beholder....But Kindness is Eternal.
              Jeanel Walker

              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 5, 2008
                alright does anyone know how to link the pics from the yahoo group or do you just put in the page???

                Change is in the heart... age is in the mind... Beauty and or truth is in the eye of the beholder....But Kindness is Eternal.
                Jeanel Walker

                Garb at book fair I made for me and my girls Yahoo pics

                Change is in the heart... age is in the mind... Beauty and or truth is in the eye of the beholder.... But Kindness is Eternal.

                Jeanel Walker

                > I still havint figure out how you get your links to work but I hope

                to be able to have the pics up soon for you to see.

                You can upload photographs to the group at

                http://ph.groups yahoo.com/ group/sca- jml/photos

              • savan39
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 5, 2008
                  Several things.

                  1. Making a tsuba in the design of my mon (Which is not easy, because
                  it has a lot of cut outs, and is made of hardened stainless)
                  2. Making a Sujibachi Kabuto (16 plates). So far, I have 7 cut out.
                  3. Fixing the Kosode I made. The collar dips down too low, and looks
                  like the Edo period Geisha style, and Im a guy, so... The body pannels
                  are too wide, and the arm panels are too narrow (I screwed up my
                  measurements)

                  > Is anyone working on any interesting projects?
                  >
                  > I'm currently participating in a workshop to build anachronistic
                  > practice taiko drums out of PVC sewer pipe - because wine barrels are
                  > more expensive and far more labor intensive. Last weekend, my
                  > classmates, sensei (both of them) and I cut, sanded and routed 2'
                  > sections of 16" diameter PVC pipe, then painted them so they are not
                  > Bilious Sewer Pipe Green. This Saturday we will cut and fit rawhide
                  > drumheads. I will be joining the intermediate/advanced class when
                  > sessions resume on September 16 and expect to be madly dog paddling at
                  > the deep end of the pool.
                  >
                  > I'm also getting ready to start some experiments with shibori
                  > techniques. Current reads include Shibori: The Inventive Art of
                  > Japanese Shaped Resist Dyeing by Yoshiko Iwamoto Wada, Mary Kellogg
                  > Rice, and Jane J. Barton, ISBN 978-4770023995. I LOVE THIS BOOK! Not
                  > only are the photos yummy, there are detailed instructions and
                  > diagrams of how-to information on various techniques AND historical
                  > information. Did I mention that I love this book?
                  >
                  > Also feeling the love for a lucky find at my favorite used book store:
                  > Jodai-Gire: 7th and 8th Century Textiles in Japan From the Shoso-in
                  > and Horyu-Ji by Kaneo Matsumoto. Out of print and really hard to find,
                  > as I discovered when I came home and googled it. It's in both Japanese
                  > and English with over 160 pages of full color plates of early textile
                  > fragments and roughly 50 pages of descriptive notes in English (plus
                  > 50 corresponding pages in Japanese). Gorgeous!
                  >
                  > Saionji no Hanae
                  > West Kingdom

                • seven_add1
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 5, 2008
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...> wrote:

                    > alright does anyone know how to link the pics from the yahoo group
                    or do you just put in the page???

                    > Change is in the heart... age is in the mind... Beauty and or truth
                    is in the eye of the beholder....But Kindness is Eternal.
                    > Jeanel Walker

                    Jeanel-dono

                    Correct me if I'm wrong but are you not wearing the overlaps backwards
                    in this picture?

                    Tatsume
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 5, 2008
                      Ii dono!

                      Greetings from Solveig! You realize of course that the rank system
                      evolved over time. It's not like there was a single rank system out
                      there.

                    • Jeanel Walker
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 5, 2008
                        I don"t know??? I dont think so!!....Mistress Isolda who taught the class on making the kimono and the obi tided it to me....I put a decorative design on the ends and in the sorta middle of the entire obie then she tided it.

                        Change is in the heart... age is in the mind... Beauty and or truth is in the eye of the beholder....But Kindness is Eternal.
                        Jeanel Walker

                        > alright does anyone know how to link the pics from the yahoo group

                        or do you just put in the page???

                        > http://ph.groups yahoo.com/ group/sca- jml/photos/ browse/9e6d? c=

                        > Change is in the heart... age is in the mind... Beauty and or truth

                        is in the eye of the beholder.... But Kindness is Eternal.

                        > Jeanel Walker

                        Jeanel-dono

                        Correct me if I'm wrong but are you not wearing the overlaps backwards

                        in this picture?

                        http://ph.groups yahoo.com/ group/sca- jml/photos/ view/9e6d? b=1

                        Tatsume

                      • seven_add1
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 7, 2008
                          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...> wrote:

                          > I don"t know??? I dont think so!!....Mistress Isolda who taught the
                          class on making the kimono and the obi tided it to me....I put a
                          decorative design on the ends and in the sorta middle of the entire
                          obie then she tided it.

                          It's possible she could have gotten it backwards by mistake. I know I
                          have to think about it when I'm not putting it on myself. Now here's
                          how I explain it, pretend your arms are the overlap. Cross your arms
                          over each other, your right arm should be against you chest, your left
                          arm on top of your right one. Your kimono should go the same way.

                          Tatsume
                        • Jeanel Walker
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 7, 2008
                            ahhhh....I see cool thing to remember.
                            if I could just remember it...giggle

                            as for my obie I only had enough material for one go around....wish I had more =) but don't we all