Your Horse Trots Too Roughly for Me

  • reishi00
    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 3, 2008
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "seven_add1" <seven_add1@...> wrote:

      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I think this whole discussion is missing the point that the
      garment is
      > > just massively bogus.
      > >
      > > Just because the artist is Japanese doesn't mean he has any
      > > understanding of historical Japanese clothing. Consider the
      costuming
      > > and armour atrocities perpetrated by the makers of "Elizabeth,"
      > > "Braveheart," and "Robin of Sherwood," for example.
      > >
      > > It's just a totally bogus outfit.
      > >
      > > Re-create it if you want, but don't try to find anything
      historical to
      > > identify with it, or dignify it with the name of something real.
      > >

      > > Effingham
      > >

      > Okay okay. Forget I even asked. Jaa ne.
      >
      > Tatsume

      Alright everyone...

      I hate to feel the need to address this, but I'm rather sick of this
      kind of attitude. Every time I read my JML digest I cringe because
      more often than not people post Fail blog worthy Courtesy!fail
      no, in fact, Japanese society wasn't based on courtesy and all that
      gokensou and keigo I learned is not indicative of how much being
      polite is required in Japanese society. (Never mind that one of the
      SCA's three pillars is Courtesy...) As a Japanese persona I always try
      to have the proper level of politeness, judging from the way you
      people treat each other maybe I should stop.

      The most useful advice I've ever gotten about how to be polite is when
      you are going to open your mouth to comment check if what you are
      going to say is at least two of these three things:

      1.) is it kind?
      2.) is it true?
      3.) is it necessary?

      Better to be all three. Or as the proverb says, "chew and taste your
      words before spitting them out."

      Tatsume-dono, the outfits look like an artist's interpretation of
      basic hakama and gi outfits. Manga is a really sketchy style and it
      might be a case of simply and artist drawing what s/he sees and
      simplifying it because s/he will have to draw a few thousand of them.
      That's why manga fans praise CLAMP and Kaori Yuki's work, because is
      it so detailed and complicated. I would check the illustration books
      for the manga, just in case the artist decided to get fancy or
      detailed, the TV ink drawings are bound to be less detailed. Also keep
      in mind that as an artist, the point is to make a pretty picture or
      tell the story, not historical accuracy. Or... any kind of accuracy.
      Reality can quite happily be kicked out the window. How often have you
      seen some pull off those wild hair-styles?

      The artist can simply decide, s/he wants the kimono to sit like this,
      or for the haori to float like whatever and the ONLY way it would
      happen in real life is with invisible wires and duct tape or said
      garment would fall off the body. Realism is not something found in
      anime. Just sayin'. Ganbatte, ne?

      That being said, Good bye. Farewell. Auf Wiedersehen. Adieu.

      Tanikawa no Reishi
    • seven_add1
      Message 34 of 34 , Sep 5, 2008
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...> wrote:

        > Sorry didn't mean to give you a headache =(
        >
        > Change is in the heart... age is in the mind... Beauty and or truth
        is in the eye of the beholder....But Kindness is Eternal.
        > Jeanel Walker

        Oh no. You had just given me an idea for a fanfic. Headache is my own
        doing.

        Tatsume