Great Western War 10/8-10/13/08, Taft, CA

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 25, 2008
      http://www.caid-gww.org/

      Anyone going? I'm currently in discussion with the person who is
      organizing classes about offering both a Japanese poetry class and one
      on clothing (it's the one I presented at Costume Con 26 this spring.)

      The House of Cheerful Monkeys will also be serving sake and treats on
      Saturday evening of the war.

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 20, 2008

        > http://www.caid-gww.org/
        >
        > Anyone going? I'm currently in discussion with the person who is
        > organizing classes about offering both a Japanese poetry class and one
        > on clothing (it's the one I presented at Costume Con 26 this spring.)

        The good news is that I found the binder with the CostumeCon 26
        presentation materials in it. I am still waiting for word on class
        scheduling from the collegium coordinator and will keep you posted as
        I hear more.

        > The House of Cheerful Monkeys will also be serving sake and treats >
        on Saturday evening of the war.
        It will be in West Kingdom territory, and I'm hoping for a spot on the
        lake shore once again. Sunset last year was so lovely.
        http://flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/1511647880/in/set-72157602308190120/

        Looking forward to seeing some of you there.

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 21, 2008

          Greetings from Solveig! As I recall, a US serviceman recently moved
          to Japan and is living off base. Could you possibly get in touch with
          me again? Thank you very much!

        • hector baez
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 22, 2008
            don't know if you are speaking about me Solveig we spoke a few months ago over email I live in japan off base but I am not tied to the military.

            best regards

            hector aka Ector

            Greetings from Solveig! As I recall, a US serviceman recently moved
            to Japan and is living off base. Could you possibly get in touch with
            me again? Thank you very much!

          • Mayra Figueras
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 22, 2008
              Greetings!

              Coming out of lurk mode just to say that I am deputy publicity for GWW. I
              just wanted to let you know is that the Gatebook for GWW has already gone to
              the printer. Any class additions will not make the gate book. I understand
              that the plan is to post any class additions on a sandwich board at Gate, 2
              sandwich boards in Merchants, and one sandwich board at A&S. You may want
              to consider having your class announced in the Herald’s cry. There will be
              a book you can put in your announcement at headquarters. I believe the cry
              will be at 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. daily. I personally am definitely
              interested in the costuming class for my husband. I won him Japanese body
              armor at a raffle earlier this year and we are working on acquiring the rest
              of the necessary pieces and I have to make appropriate clothing for him to
              wear underneath. If there is no pavilion space for when you want to hold
              the class and this may be the case for the more busier days, i.e., Friday
              and Saturday, you may want to consider hosting the class in your encampment.
              Again, definitely run it through the A&S sub-steward, I can only say what I
              did in the past, she may be doing things differently. =)

              A su servicio,

              Madelena Hidalgo de Valencia
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 22, 2008
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Mayra Figueras" <medievalmom@...> wrote:
                > I understand
                > that the plan is to post any class additions on a sandwich board at
                Gate, 2
                > sandwich boards in Merchants, and one sandwich board at A&S.

                Ah, that explains the cryptic email I got. Would've been nice if she
                gave me a clue WHEN she'd scheduled me for.....

                Saionji no Hanae
              • Mayra Figueras
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 22, 2008
                  I’m sorry about that.

                  If I were you just email her again and ask her when and where she has
                  scheduled your class.

                  Push comes to shove, I will be on site on Tuesday 9/7. If you give me
                  contact information I can find out and call you from the site.

                  A su servicio,

                  Madelena Hidalgo de Valencia

                  > that the plan is to post any class additions on a sandwich board at
                  Gate, 2
                  > sandwich boards in Merchants, and one sandwich board at A&S.

                  Ah, that explains the cryptic email I got. Would've been nice if she
                  gave me a clue WHEN she'd scheduled me for.....

                • donald seebald
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 23, 2008
                    Gomen Nasai!

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 23, 2008
                      Whoops old compy is acting up again,  I have been real busy lately aside to my own arrival and settiling we are going to be having a rather large addition added to the base soon. so the build up has been tremendous.  Speaking of tremendous  the Pensic pictures I have seen look  Amazing. perhaps next year...  anyway just back in for a bit, Throndardottir sama anything I can do to help you with your reasearch or crafts  from my end of the pond please feel free to let me  know.
                      Taka Farstrider (name in progress;)
                      Yokosuka Japan

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 23, 2008

                        > Throndardottir sama anything I can do to help you with your
                        > reasearch or crafts from my end of the pond please feel free to
                        > let me know.
                        > Taka Farstrider (name in progress;)

                        THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

                        Actually, the thing that I am greatest need of is package forwarding.
                        Some vendors simply do not ship outside of Japan. So, if you have an
                        off-base address, I can have stuff shipped to you, and then you can
                        forward them to me. Very likely, you can send them via APO or
                        whatever from base at considerable savings over sending things via
                        international post or UPS. If you are up to this, I will forward
                        packing lists to you so that you will know what is coming and from
                        whom. If you are feeling energetic, you can combine shipments, or
                        you can just slap a shipping label on them. Do you have a paypal
                        account or some other convenient way to reimburse you?

                        Now, if you are feeling really adventurous and are traveling into
                        Shinjuku sometime, then I can possibly have you pick up calligraphy
                        practice paper for me. The stuff that is on this side of the Pacific
                        is mostly junk. I can even send a paper sample to you so you know
                        what I am looking for. And then, there is the monster arts and crafts
                        store. I hope to make a hanging scroll for Ice Dragon. I've picked up
                        a couple of Japanese books on mounting calligraphy, and so I can put
                        together a shopping list.

                      • donald seebald
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 29, 2008
                          Solveig Sama!  Of course I will be glad to help. I apologize again for responding so late but  with  George Washington being added to our little family over here its been pretty hectic lately.  but  ..Adventure?  HA!  Milady as you know that is what life is for!  My wife and I are always back and forth across Japan we are going to Saitama next week so I can break my back in her hometown's Mikoshi festival.  But I will be sure to pick up some trade goods  on the way back.  (Hm mm  a Viking persona who specializes with trade goods from far off lands? adopting local fighting styles... ponder ponder)  ICE DRAGON?  ooo INA. sounds like fun and that time is of the essence.  Now it goes without saying That I have to be assure of what I am Sending into the US,  of course I cannot ship plants or Oriental medicines or any other products that would have restricted access into the US.  But Throndardottir Sama it seems to me that you are an artist
                          and scholar and always willing to help others with their research and requests so I will stick my neck and address on the line for you.

                          My PCS address is
                          Seebald. Donald MA2
                          PCS 473 Box: 1100
                          FPO AP 96349-1100

                          My mailing address of Gyoinjo  (Garden Castle does that work? The house structure is very old style. Tatami, long hardwood floors, fusama and the tea garden bit, I love it I'll send pictures later.. anyway)

                           1-29-2 Sakuragaoka
                          Yokosuka city
                          kanagawa ken
                          239-0803

                          Pay pal  dseebald1@... OK sorry for the long post.   and is it a specialty store in shinjiku because there is a Yuzawaya very close to Saitama with a wide varaiety of arts and crafts.
                           Well send me a list and we will work out the details.

                          --- On Tue, 9/23/08, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote:

                          Actually, the thing that I am greatest need of is package forwarding.
                          Some vendors simply do not ship outside of Japan. So, if you have an
                          off-base address, I can have stuff shipped to you, and then you can
                          forward them to me. Very likely, you can send them via APO or
                          whatever from base at considerable savings over sending things via
                          international post or UPS. If you are up to this, I will forward
                          packing lists to you so that you will know what is coming and from
                          whom. If you are feeling energetic, you can combine shipments, or
                          you can just slap a shipping label on them. Do you have a paypal
                          account or some other convenient way to reimburse you?

                          Now, if you are feeling really adventurous and are traveling into
                          Shinjuku sometime,

                          Recent Activity

                           8
                          New MembersVisit Your Group

                          Only on Yahoo!
                          World of Star Wars
                          Meet fans, watch
                          videos & more.

                          Yahoo! News
                          Odd News
                          You won't believe
                          it, but it's true

                          Y! Groups blog
                          the best source
                          for the latest
                          scoop on Groups.
                          .

                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 30, 2008

                            Greetings from Solveig! First of all, THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK
                            YOU! THANK YOU!

                            > My mailing address of Gyoinjo (Garden Castle does that work? The
                            > house structure is very old style. Tatami, long hardwood floors,
                            > fusama and the tea garden bit, I love it I'll send pictures later..
                            > anyway)

                            The floors are more likely to be Port Orchard Cedar which is a soft
                            wood and not a hard wood. Regardless, it sounds lovely. As for the
                            name. If you really want to call it a caste you can, however there
                            are lots of other charming options. 御苑城 Gyoenjō (lit. Honorable
                            Garden Castle) sounds a tad unlikely if for no other reason than lots
                            of castles might sport gardens on their grounds. Why not check out
                            the following directory of castles arranged by prefecture?

                            http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~xt8k-msm/link00.htm

                            Their current poster child is Gojōmokujō (?) 五城目城 http://
                            www.asahi-net.or.jp/~XT8K-MSM/link206.html

                            > Pay pal dseebald1@... OK sorry for the long post. and is
                            > it a specialty store in shinjiku because there is a Yuzawaya very
                            > close to Saitama with a wide varaiety of arts and crafts.

                            Yuzaway is HUGE! Regardless, I don't recall ever going calligraphy
                            shopping there. I do believe I bought a tube of lacquer there. I also
                            bought a do it yourself hina ningyo set.