Mourning

  • David
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 19, 2008
      I recently lost a friend.
      Well, to me a friend but he was probably more of a mentor since we
      never really hung out or anything but he left a profound impact on me
      and I would like to create a tribute of some kind.
      Haiku is too recent and too short.
      I plan on floating a candle at Lilies.
      I had heard of 'death poems' but I think that was only rumor.
      Basically, I'm looking for a framework to put my own words into to
      express what I feel in a way that fits.

      David "Ookami" Mc.
      The Confused...
    • Franzi Dickson
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 19, 2008
        >Well, to me a friend but he was probably more of a mentor since we
        >never really hung out or anything but he left a profound impact on me
        >and I would like to create a tribute of some kind.
        >Haiku is too recent and too short.
        >I plan on floating a candle at Lilies.
        >I had heard of 'death poems' but I think that was only rumor.
        >Basically, I'm looking for a framework to put my own words into to
        >express what I feel in a way that fits.

        The old poetry collections tend to be divided up by theme, and mourning is one of the typical sections (along with the seasons and love). Those poetic forms are still short, but they're not quite as short as a haiku. I like that 1996 translation of the Kokinshu with the dark green cover (Rasplica Rodd, Henkenius).

        --Franzi
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 19, 2008
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "David" <elecwolf@...> wrote:

          > I had heard of 'death poems' but I think that was only rumor.

          Japanese death poems do exist. They were traditionally written to
          reflect upon one's OWN mortality, in old age, on one's death bed,
          before battle or even before committing seppuku.

          That said, there is nothing preventing you from writing something in
          memory of your friend.
          http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/miscellany.html includes an
          overview of period Japanese poetic forms, if that is where your
          inspiration takes you.

          Condolences,
        • David
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 21, 2008
            I couldn't think of double meaning words but I think I got my
            thoughts across.

            There are some people
            Who belong in heaven for
            They made here brighter

            The teacher is gone for now
            Let us show what we have learned

            I also found that I can't seem to remember how syllables
            break anymore.

            > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "David" <elecwolf@> wrote:
            >
            > > I had heard of 'death poems' but I think that was only rumor.
            >
            > Japanese death poems do exist. They were traditionally written to
            > reflect upon one's OWN mortality, in old age, on one's death bed,
            > before battle or even before committing seppuku.
            >
            > That said, there is nothing preventing you from writing something in
            > memory of your friend.
            > http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/miscellany.html includes an
            > overview of period Japanese poetic forms, if that is where your
            > inspiration takes you.
            >
            > Condolences,
            > Saionji no Hanae
            > West Kingdom

          • Michael Peters
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 22, 2008
              I have a cherry tree in my front yard which is blooming (southern hemisphere), a free weekend and forecasted fine weather.

              Will I get to have a hanami party?? Of course not. I am too sick to drink sake and eat O-bento all night. Instead I will get to huddle in my daughter's bedroom bundled up with soup while I gaze out the window instead. It's almost worse than missing all the parties in Tsukuba in March. :(

              .