Newbie looking for patterns

  • padruigmctavish
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 15, 2008
      Greetings, great and noble ones,

      I hight Padruig MvTavish, and I come to you from the highlands of
      Scotland, ca 1462. My family and I currently reside in the
      wondrously beautiful lands of Arrows' Flight, in the Kingdom of
      Artemesia.

      We are a mixed family, in that I am a highlander, my Lady Wife is an
      Mantuan (Italy) heiress, my 13 year old daughter is also Italian,
      though from a rival city-state(Venice, I think), My 11 year old is
      northern germanic, my 6 year old daughter favors Scandinavia as an
      origin, which leaves my 8 year old son. He seeks to develop a
      japanese samurai persona.

      As an encouragement, I am in the process of creating youth combat
      armor for him. I have finished his Kabuto, and have patterns I can
      use for all the rest of his armor (currently adult size, but I can
      reduce as needed), save a useable pattern for a mempo.

      Are there any of you that have patterns for mempo, or various
      combinations of face armor, that you would be willing to share? As
      well, if any of you have already made youth armor, and have patterns
      to share, I would be greatly appreciative. I do not mind creating
      and adapting my own, but also do not mind saving time by using those
      developed by others ;-)

      Thank you for your time, and consideration of my request

      Sincerely yours,

      Lord Padruig McTavish, OGM
      Kingdom Youth Combat Marshal
      Bard of Arrows' Flight
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 15, 2008
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "padruigmctavish" <rayzentz@...> wrote:

        > Are there any of you that have patterns for mempo, or various
        > combinations of face armor, that you would be willing to share? As
        > well, if any of you have already made youth armor, and have patterns
        > to share, I would be greatly appreciative. I do not mind creating
        > and adapting my own, but also do not mind saving time by using those
        > developed by others ;-)

        Have you seen these?
        http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/graphics/patterns/Menpo.PDF
        http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/graphics/patterns/Somen.PDF
        http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/graphics/patterns/Hanbo.PDF

      • rayzentz@aim.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 16, 2008
          I have seen the links to those, but for some reason the files would not
          open on my computer. I thank you for a different way to access them.
          Your links do open. Ain't modern technology great?

          Any others, anyone.

          Incidentally, I will post photos of my son's armor when complete.

          Padruig McTavish

            > I have seen the links to those, but for some reason the files would
            > not
            > open on my computer. I thank you for a different way to access them.
            > Your links do open. Ain't modern technology great?

            They're PDFs. You have to save them to disc and open them with Adobe
            Reader.

            As for armour patterns -- have you seen my website? ;)

            http://www.sengokudaimyo.com (specifically the armour manual)

            Effingham
          • Jeanel Walker
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 16, 2008
              sorry for piggy backing.....but!!!
              I LOVE your site....thank you for making it so user friendly....I send everyone I know there.
              Blessing!!!

              Change is in the heart... age is in the mind... Beauty and or truth is in the eye of the beholder....But Kindness is Eternal.
              Jeanel Walker

              -
            • Anthony Bryant
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 16, 2008
                On Aug 16, 2008, at 4:30 PM, Jeanel Walker wrote:

                > sorry for piggy backing.....but!!!
                > I LOVE your site....thank you for making it so user friendly....I
                > send everyone I know there.
                > Blessing!!!

                Thank you!

                Effingham
              • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 16, 2008
                  I must second those coments, your site has given me so much to work on to
                  the point that I started to become the going to person in my area of An Tir,
                  without the knowledge that you have put in your site I would still be in the
                  "nihonji persona dark ages" wearing a modern hakama with a yukata from the
                  days when I was station in Japan. Thank you so much as well as the rest of you
                  here whom have given me of your wisdom.

                  Humbly,
                  Nakagawa Sukeie
                  Silverhart's Chatelain

                  To ask a question may be a moments' shame,
                  But not to ask and remain ignorant is a life long shame.

                  Read reviews on AOL Autos.

                • seven_add1
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 16, 2008
                    I third the comments. The name section has been useful for picking out
                    my own name and for creating names for my original characters that
                    have a Japanese background.

                    Tatsume

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 16, 2008
                      On Aug 16, 2008, at 11:07 PM, sekinakagawa@... wrote:

                      > I must second those coments, your site has given me so much to work
                      > on to
                      > the point that I started to become the going to person in my area of
                      > An Tir,
                      > without the knowledge that you have put in your site I would still
                      > be in the
                      > "nihonji persona dark ages" wearing a modern hakama with a yukata
                      > from the
                      > days when I was station in Japan. Thank you so much as well as the
                      > rest of you
                      > here whom have given me of your wisdom.

                      Thank you very much. :)

                      I really appreciate the kind words.

                      Effingham
                    • Anthony Bryant
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 16, 2008
                        On Aug 17, 2008, at 12:16 AM, seven_add1 wrote:

                        > I third the comments. The name section has been useful for picking out
                        > my own name and for creating names for my original characters that
                        > have a Japanese background.

                        Thank you!

                        Effingham
                      • rayzentz@aim.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 18, 2008
                          Yes, I have, and was not only impressed with their overall content, but
                          also depth. I did have a question, however. Some of your links
                          (particularly the gold pattern boxes in the Kabuto section) open a
                          repeat of the same page. Is that intentional. or a glitch from my
                          computer?

                          Padruig

                          <snip>