Re: Hello...I'm new to this site.

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 15, 2008
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...> wrote:
      > Because it *really* means "camp curtain government", but "tent" is
      > easier to translate and explain without footnotes.

      And we couldn't possibly use something that makes sense like "camp
      government." Never mind. You'd think I'd know better by now.

      Saionji no Brain Hurts
      West Kingdom
    • Anthony Bryant
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 15, 2008
        On Aug 15, 2008, at 4:29 PM, wodeford wrote:

        > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>
        > wrote:
        > > Because it *really* means "camp curtain government", but "tent" is
        > > easier to translate and explain without footnotes.
        >
        > And we couldn't possibly use something that makes sense like "camp
        > government." Never mind. You'd think I'd know better by now.

        Course not. That would make too much sense.

        Heck, the PMJS has been discussing for two weeks why not (or why)
        "uji" should be translated as "clan" vs. "lineage" vs. "aaargh."

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 15, 2008
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...> wrote:
          > Heck, the PMJS has been discussing for two weeks why not (or why)
          > "uji" should be translated as "clan" vs. "lineage" vs. "aaargh."

          I'm having flashbacks to Pennsic 28 (you know, back when I was still
          all gaijin all the time), when Fujimaki dragged me along to a class
          you were teaching on court ranks and such and I sat there the entire
          time going, "Huh?" "Left of What?" "She Who Is In Front of Whom?"

          Saionji no TGIF
          West
        • Anthony Bryant
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 15, 2008
            On Aug 15, 2008, at 9:11 PM, wodeford wrote:

            > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>
            > wrote:
            > > Heck, the PMJS has been discussing for two weeks why not (or why)
            > > "uji" should be translated as "clan" vs. "lineage" vs. "aaargh."
            >
            > I'm having flashbacks to Pennsic 28 (you know, back when I was still
            > all gaijin all the time), when Fujimaki dragged me along to a class
            > you were teaching on court ranks and such and I sat there the entire
            > time going, "Huh?" "Left of What?" "She Who Is In Front of Whom?"

            Ah, those were the days.

            Such innocence. <mwa ha ha ha>

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 15, 2008
              Baron Edward!

              Greetings from Solveig!

              > Heck, the PMJS has been discussing for two weeks why not (or why)
              > "uji" should be translated as "clan" vs. "lineage" vs. "aaargh."

              "lineage" BARF! I would think that they should be cogitating about
              things like "tribe" v. "clan".

            • Anthony Bryant
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 15, 2008
                On Aug 16, 2008, at 12:22 AM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

                > Baron Edward!
                >
                > Greetings from Solveig!
                >
                > > Heck, the PMJS has been discussing for two weeks why not (or why)
                > > "uji" should be translated as "clan" vs. "lineage" vs. "aaargh."
                >
                > "lineage" BARF! I would think that they should be cogitating about
                > things like "tribe" v. "clan".

                That could work.

                I'm just amused that a magazine's style sheet should set the policy of
                academics and translators everywhere. ;)

                Effingham
              • Rich Goble
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 15, 2008
                  Well, mass media tries to give us our opinions about everything else...  :-)

                  - Imagawa Tadamori

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 16, 2008
                    Baron Edward!

                    Greetings from Solveig!

                    > I'm just amused that a magazine's style sheet should set the policy of
                    > academics and translators everywhere. ;)

                    If you are referring to Monumenta Nipponica, then characterizing it as
                    a magazine is at best misleading. It is the premier journal in the
                    field.
                    While journals resemble magazines in that they are serial publications,
                    their policies tend to be rather different from than those of say Time
                    Magazine. Monumenta Nipponica fulfills the role of setting style largely
                    because there is not a dominant scholarly society fulfilling this
                    role. For
                    example, in Mathematics, the style guides of the American Mathematical
                    Society are pretty dominant.

                  • James Eckman
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 16, 2008
                      > Greetings from Solveig!
                      > Well met and all of that warm fuzzy stuff! The problem with tents is
                      > that the Japanese just didn't live in the things. If you wish a portable
                      > (more or less) structure which presents itself as a Japanese dwelling,
                      > then I suggest that you check out the yashiki described at the following
                      > web page:
                      >
                      > http://www.yamakaminari.com
                      >
                      > Your Humble Servant
                      > Solveig Throndardottir
                      > Amateur Scholar

                      Noble Cousin,
                      Sadly the pictures seem to be missing but Googling "buke yashiki" leads
                      to a lot of interesting sites and pictures!

                      Jim Eckman
                      The Idiot Cousin...
                    • Anthony Bryant
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 16, 2008
                        On Aug 16, 2008, at 9:11 AM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:
                        > > I'm just amused that a magazine's style sheet should set the
                        > policy of
                        > > academics and translators everywhere. ;)
                        >
                        > If you are referring to Monumenta Nipponica, then characterizing it as
                        > a magazine is at best misleading. It is the premier journal in the
                        > field.

                        Yes, but it isn't the only one. There are other journals in the field
                        of East Asian Stuff that are well respected. Just, perhaps, not as
                        tightly focussed.

                        The point, however, stands. The style sheet is for MN.

                        It isn't a style sheet to regulate usage in doctoral dissertations,
                        private publications, or other publishing houses.