Hello...I'm new to this site.

  • brytephyre
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 15, 2008
      Konnichiwa and greetings.

      I live in the Barony of Seleone (south Mississippi) And have decided
      on a Japaneses heritage prosona ....have been able to make three
      kimonos and one pair of hakamas thus far...
      I have two little girls and they enjoy getting dressed up too.
      however my husband dose not like to and will not be apart of the fun
      activities that we all hold dear here in the S.C.A.

      I am in the process of trying to learn Nihongo (Japanese)language off
      the computer and the kanji and Hiragana as well.

      I would love to get with anyone who is willing to share there
      knowledge and ideas to make it fun. I'm a slow learner right now I'm
      using Utube and writing the alphabet over and over....

      I was also wondering....what kind of tent would a mother with two
      daughters work within the prosona ....as of yet I cant make the far
      off trips and events but I hope one day to be able to.
      but I would like to know so I can keep an eye out.

      I love to paint and sew and meet new people.
      I've got my history ...up to my grandparents pretty much down
      pat....waiting on my devise to be passed. and thats pretty much all
      there is about me.

      Arigatou
      and Blessing to you
      Eilionoria of Kismuil lost in the wandering seas.
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 15, 2008

        > I was also wondering....what kind of tent would a mother with two
        > daughters work within the prosona ....as of yet I cant make the far
        > off trips and events but I hope one day to be able to.
        > but I would like to know so I can keep an eye out.

        Well met and all of that warm fuzzy stuff! The problem with tents is
        that the Japanese just didn't live in the things. If you wish a portable
        (more or less) structure which presents itself as a Japanese dwelling,
        then I suggest that you check out the yashiki described at the following
        web page:

        http://www.yamakaminari.com

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 15, 2008
          wrote:

          > Well met and all of that warm fuzzy stuff! The problem with tents is
          > that the Japanese just didn't live in the things.

          Thank you for that memory jog - I have been meaning to ask this for
          awhile now:
          If the Japanese had no tents, why, then, is bafuku (as in the Kamakura
          bafuku) translated as "Tent Government?"

        • Anthony Bryant
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 15, 2008
            On Aug 15, 2008, at 2:54 PM, wodeford wrote:
            > Thank you for that memory jog - I have been meaning to ask this for
            > awhile now:
            > If the Japanese had no tents, why, then, is bafuku (as in the Kamakura
            > bafuku) translated as "Tent Government?"

            Because it *really* means "camp curtain government", but "tent" is
            easier to translate and explain without footnotes.

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 15, 2008
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...> wrote:
              > Because it *really* means "camp curtain government", but "tent" is
              > easier to translate and explain without footnotes.

              And we couldn't possibly use something that makes sense like "camp
              government." Never mind. You'd think I'd know better by now.

              Saionji no Brain Hurts
              West Kingdom
            • Anthony Bryant
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 15, 2008
                On Aug 15, 2008, at 4:29 PM, wodeford wrote:

                > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>
                > wrote:
                > > Because it *really* means "camp curtain government", but "tent" is
                > > easier to translate and explain without footnotes.
                >
                > And we couldn't possibly use something that makes sense like "camp
                > government." Never mind. You'd think I'd know better by now.

                Course not. That would make too much sense.

                Heck, the PMJS has been discussing for two weeks why not (or why)
                "uji" should be translated as "clan" vs. "lineage" vs. "aaargh."

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 15, 2008
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...> wrote:
                  > Heck, the PMJS has been discussing for two weeks why not (or why)
                  > "uji" should be translated as "clan" vs. "lineage" vs. "aaargh."

                  I'm having flashbacks to Pennsic 28 (you know, back when I was still
                  all gaijin all the time), when Fujimaki dragged me along to a class
                  you were teaching on court ranks and such and I sat there the entire
                  time going, "Huh?" "Left of What?" "She Who Is In Front of Whom?"

                  Saionji no TGIF
                  West
                • Anthony Bryant
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 15, 2008
                    On Aug 15, 2008, at 9:11 PM, wodeford wrote:

                    > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > Heck, the PMJS has been discussing for two weeks why not (or why)
                    > > "uji" should be translated as "clan" vs. "lineage" vs. "aaargh."
                    >
                    > I'm having flashbacks to Pennsic 28 (you know, back when I was still
                    > all gaijin all the time), when Fujimaki dragged me along to a class
                    > you were teaching on court ranks and such and I sat there the entire
                    > time going, "Huh?" "Left of What?" "She Who Is In Front of Whom?"

                    Ah, those were the days.

                    Such innocence. <mwa ha ha ha>

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 15, 2008
                      Baron Edward!

                      Greetings from Solveig!

                      > Heck, the PMJS has been discussing for two weeks why not (or why)
                      > "uji" should be translated as "clan" vs. "lineage" vs. "aaargh."

                      "lineage" BARF! I would think that they should be cogitating about
                      things like "tribe" v. "clan".

                    • Anthony Bryant
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 15, 2008
                        On Aug 16, 2008, at 12:22 AM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

                        > Baron Edward!
                        >
                        > Greetings from Solveig!
                        >
                        > > Heck, the PMJS has been discussing for two weeks why not (or why)
                        > > "uji" should be translated as "clan" vs. "lineage" vs. "aaargh."
                        >
                        > "lineage" BARF! I would think that they should be cogitating about
                        > things like "tribe" v. "clan".

                        That could work.

                        I'm just amused that a magazine's style sheet should set the policy of
                        academics and translators everywhere. ;)

                        Effingham
                      • Rich Goble
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 15, 2008
                          Well, mass media tries to give us our opinions about everything else...  :-)

                          - Imagawa Tadamori

                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 16, 2008
                            Baron Edward!

                            Greetings from Solveig!

                            > I'm just amused that a magazine's style sheet should set the policy of
                            > academics and translators everywhere. ;)

                            If you are referring to Monumenta Nipponica, then characterizing it as
                            a magazine is at best misleading. It is the premier journal in the
                            field.
                            While journals resemble magazines in that they are serial publications,
                            their policies tend to be rather different from than those of say Time
                            Magazine. Monumenta Nipponica fulfills the role of setting style largely
                            because there is not a dominant scholarly society fulfilling this
                            role. For
                            example, in Mathematics, the style guides of the American Mathematical
                            Society are pretty dominant.

                          • James Eckman
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 16, 2008
                              > Greetings from Solveig!
                              > Well met and all of that warm fuzzy stuff! The problem with tents is
                              > that the Japanese just didn't live in the things. If you wish a portable
                              > (more or less) structure which presents itself as a Japanese dwelling,
                              > then I suggest that you check out the yashiki described at the following
                              > web page:
                              >
                              > http://www.yamakaminari.com
                              >
                              > Your Humble Servant
                              > Solveig Throndardottir
                              > Amateur Scholar

                              Noble Cousin,
                              Sadly the pictures seem to be missing but Googling "buke yashiki" leads
                              to a lot of interesting sites and pictures!

                              Jim Eckman
                              The Idiot Cousin...
                            • Anthony Bryant
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 16, 2008
                                On Aug 16, 2008, at 9:11 AM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:
                                > > I'm just amused that a magazine's style sheet should set the
                                > policy of
                                > > academics and translators everywhere. ;)
                                >
                                > If you are referring to Monumenta Nipponica, then characterizing it as
                                > a magazine is at best misleading. It is the premier journal in the
                                > field.

                                Yes, but it isn't the only one. There are other journals in the field
                                of East Asian Stuff that are well respected. Just, perhaps, not as
                                tightly focussed.

                                The point, however, stands. The style sheet is for MN.

                                It isn't a style sheet to regulate usage in doctoral dissertations,
                                private publications, or other publishing houses.