Re: [SCA-JML] two questions

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 6, 2008

      Greetings from Solveig! I recommend that you look at quivers
      appearing in battle paintings or in paintings of individuals wearing
      armor. Please do not argue with what you discover. Japanese ideas of
      suitability may not match your ideas of suitability.

    • seven_add1
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 12, 2008
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, karl.j.jacobs@... wrote:

        > Greetings!
        >
        > The incoming Prince of Northshield is Tatsu Kitakaze Raito, who will be
        > leading our troops in battle at the Great Pennsic War. My Laurel
        has put
        > two questions to me, which I turn to this august audience in trying to
        > answer:
        >
        > First, His Highness has asked her to be in charge of waterbearing
        for the
        > Principality, and would like to give her a title reflective of this
        > position. While I understand that there was no such period office,
        > position, or title, I would like to be able to give her the best
        > approximation that I can. His Higness suggested "Water General" or
        > "General of the Waterbearers" as possible terms for translation. Can
        > anyone advise as to what the most correct term would be, in English and
        > Japanese?
        >
        > Arigato Gozaimasu,
        > Kou Toshikage

        People seem to have gotten distracted from your post. My best bet
        would be Mizuka no Oyadama 水舁の親玉. The "ka" is from verb kaku 舁く
        "to bear; to carry". Mizu is water. Oyadama means "boss; chief; head".
        Now whether or not it's periodish I don't know. Japanese language is
        not my strong suit and I used my dictionaries to come up with this.

        Tatsume