Re: [SCA-JML] Scroll Question

  • Maddalena Alessandra
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 28, 2008
      Ezequiel
      If no one here has a fanatastic idea, you might also try the SCA scribe list if you aren't a member I'd be happy to forward something.
      Maeda/Madd Alex

      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 28, 2008
        When my Purple fret was awarded  the woman that made it did an exquiste job. There is an alphabet that looks like kanji but is not. It is really cool. This is her name and email address.
        Lady Philippa of Otterbourne otterbourne@... She also did the illumination which was a beautiful ink painting.
        Fuyu

        "Well behaved women rarely made history"

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 28, 2008
          What I do is I paint or wood burn the scroll text on a scroll box (one of the larger recipe card or index card boxes from Michaels or AC Moore).  Inside the box I present a small scroll that is a Heart Sutra text, usually on indigo paper done in gold ink.
          The scroll will fit in the box in one roll.
          That is how I've been handling them.
          YIS,
          Lady Mori Matsunomae
          a humble scribe of Atlantia

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 28, 2008
            Greetings!
            Thanks for all the quick replies,as soon as I figure out what the
            group wants to do I will use your talents and references.

            Humbly,
            - Sukeie
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ezequiel" <sekinakagawa@...> wrote:

              > Greetings!
              > I need help with putting together a SCA award for a japanese persona.
              > Can anyone help?

              Found it. This one was done by Kurokamakiri-hime:
              http://signet.eastkingdom.org/gallery.php?img=63&scribe=31

            • danabren
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
                > > Greetings!
                > > I need help with putting together a SCA award for a japanese
                persona.
                > > Can anyone help?
                >
                > Found it. This one was done by Kurokamakiri-hime:
                > http://signet.eastkingdom.org/gallery.php?img=63&scribe=31
                >
                > Saionji no Hanae
                > West Kingdom

                Alas, that image was too large to fit on the color copier, and Kass
                hasn't been able to get a photograph of it to me. But what looks
                like kanji is actually a "hack" hand, and is legible if you have the
                key.

                I am more than happy to send along the handout from my "Hack" class,
                if you and your group would like it. Please understand that I won't
                be able to send it until after Pennsic ;)

                Kurokamakiri/Danabren
              • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
                  Thanks,
                  That is a beautiful piece of work, very inspiring. Any help is welcome, I
                  have not been told exactly what the group wants but will seek further help s
                  soon as I know and any help is gracefully welcome.

                  Humbly,
                  -Sukeie

                  but not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

                  FanHouse Fantasy Football today.

                • Aaron Grossman
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
                    When I have a chance I'll upload my AoA as another example. I'll try to find time before we leave for war. I look forward to meeting many of you next week.

                    Yours in service,
                    Kawaguchi no Ryutaro

                    > > I need help with putting together a SCA award for a japanese
                    persona.
                    > > Can anyone help?
                    >
                    > Found it. This one was done by Kurokamakiri- hime:
                    > http://signet. eastkingdom. org/gallery. php?img=63& scribe=31
                    >
                    > Saionji no Hanae
                    > West Kingdom

                    Alas, that image was too large to fit on the color copier, and Kass
                    hasn't been able to get a photograph of it to me. But what looks
                    like kanji is actually a "hack" hand, and is legible if you have the
                    key.

                    I am more than happy to send along the handout from my "Hack" class,
                    if you and your group would like it. Please understand that I won't
                    be able to send it until after Pennsic ;)

                    Kurokamakiri/ Danabren

                  • Jamie Ritter
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
                      Here is a link to mine.
                      http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/moonflake1978/scroll.jpg
                      Fuyu

                      "Well behaved women rarely made history"

                      When I have a chance I'll upload my AoA as another example. I'll try to find time before we leave for war. I look forward to meeting many of you next week.

                      Yours in service,
                      Kawaguchi no Ryutaro

                      > > I need help with putting together a SCA award for a japanese
                      persona.
                      > > Can anyone help?
                      >
                      > Found it. This one was done by Kurokamakiri- hime:
                      > http://signet. eastkingdom. org/gallery. php?img=63& scribe=31
                      >
                      > Saionji no Hanae
                      > West Kingdom

                      Alas, that image was too large to fit on the color copier, and Kass
                      hasn't been able to get a photograph of it to me. But what looks
                      like kanji is actually a "hack" hand, and is legible if you have the
                      key.

                      I am more than happy to send along the handout from my "Hack" class,
                      if you and your group would like it. Please understand that I won't
                      be able to send it until after Pennsic ;)

                      Kurokamakiri/ Danabren

                    • aimee brooks
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
                        I would b very interested in this "hack' hand kanji script. If you're
                        sending out copies, please include me on the list.
                        Domo Arigato,
                        -Hirokawa no Tsuru

                      • Aaron Grossman
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
                          Ok, it's my AoA is online. It's viewable at the address below. Click on the image to see the much higher resolution full sized version, where you can see the text. I've transcribed it for comparison purposes.

                          http://aarongrossman.com/sca/aoa.html

                          All the best on your project.

                          YiS,
                          Kawaguchi no Ryutaro

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
                            it's the same script on mine too.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
                              > Posted by: "Ezequiel"
                              >
                              > Greetings!
                              > I need help with putting together a SCA award for a japanese persona.
                              > Can anyone help?
                              >
                              > Posted by: "wodeford"
                              > Found it. This one was done by Kurokamakiri-hime:
                              > http://signet.eastkingdom.org/gallery.php?img=63&scribe=31

                              This is a lovely scroll, if you can get it done by them, I recommend it.
                              The other option is getting one of the pre-made Japanese scrolls you can
                              find in Asian bookstores and on-line and work something with that. There
                              are some nice scripts available for the computer if you look around.

                              Jim Eckman
                            • sekinakagawa@aol.com

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
                                  Kombanwa,

                                  I cannot be much help in the creation/crafting process, but here is an
                                  example of a Japanese-inspired scroll that might be if some use to your
                                  project.

                                  Overall -
                                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/41108267@N00/2715365321/in/photostream/

                                  Detail -
                                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/41108267@N00/2715365335/

                                  Yoshi

                                  Akitsuki Yoshimitsu - Barony of Coeur d'Ennui, Kingdom of Calontir
                                  Wealth and rank are like the clouds; I do not wish for such transient
                                  things.

                                  > I need help with putting together a SCA award for a japanese persona.
                                  > Can anyone help?
                                • seven_add1
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 12, 2008
                                    On www.dafont.com they have a font called Sumdumgoi that looks pretty
                                    Japanese.
                                  • seven_add1
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 12, 2008
                                      On www.dafont.com they have a font called Sumdumgoi that looks pretty
                                      Japanese.

                                      Tatsume
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 12, 2008

                                        > On www.dafont.com they have a font called Sumdumgoi that looks pretty
                                        > Japanese.

                                        With all possible respect, in a word BARF! Please, please, please try to
                                        learn Japanese. Please do not write English with a "Japanesey" script.

                                      • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 12, 2008
                                          Greetings!
                                          That is what I am trying to attempt with this scroll. I am just waiting to
                                          see what the baroness wants before I attempt to use a translator or seek
                                          further help, but I am very happy and gratefully that the e-mails on this topic
                                          still coming and I am taking full advantage of all given information. Long
                                          time ago when I was a young Marine I was station in Yokosuka, Japan,
                                          unfortunately for me all the language that I learned is now in a hidden spot in my brain
                                          and I am unable to recall much or any (if only small common phrases).

                                          Humbly,
                                          -Sukeie

                                          To ask a question may be a moments' shame,
                                          But not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

                                          Read reviews on AOL Autos.

                                        • seven_add1
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 13, 2008
                                            wrote:

                                            > Noble Cousin!
                                            >
                                            > Greetings from Solveig!
                                            > > On www.dafont.com they have a font called Sumdumgoi that looks pretty
                                            > > Japanese.
                                            >
                                            > With all possible respect, in a word BARF! Please, please, please try to
                                            > learn Japanese. Please do not write English with a "Japanesey" script.
                                            >
                                            > Your Humble Servant
                                            > Solveig Throndardottir
                                            > Amateur Scholar

                                            I was just mentioning it because there was an example of a scroll that
                                            was written in English with a "Japanesey" script (I think they were
                                            calling it hack or something) so I was just giving another example. I
                                            personally prefer to write in Japanese.

                                            Tatsume