Scroll Question

  • Ezequiel
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 28, 2008
      Greetings!
      I need help with putting together a SCA award for a japanese persona.
      Can anyone help?

      Humbly,
      Nakagawa Sukeie
      Silverhart Chatelain
    • Maddalena Alessandra
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 28, 2008
        Ezequiel
        If no one here has a fanatastic idea, you might also try the SCA scribe list if you aren't a member I'd be happy to forward something.
        Maeda/Madd Alex

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 28, 2008
          When my Purple fret was awarded  the woman that made it did an exquiste job. There is an alphabet that looks like kanji but is not. It is really cool. This is her name and email address.
          Lady Philippa of Otterbourne otterbourne@... She also did the illumination which was a beautiful ink painting.
          Fuyu

          "Well behaved women rarely made history"

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 28, 2008
            What I do is I paint or wood burn the scroll text on a scroll box (one of the larger recipe card or index card boxes from Michaels or AC Moore).  Inside the box I present a small scroll that is a Heart Sutra text, usually on indigo paper done in gold ink.
            The scroll will fit in the box in one roll.
            That is how I've been handling them.
            YIS,
            Lady Mori Matsunomae
            a humble scribe of Atlantia

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 28, 2008
              Greetings!
              Thanks for all the quick replies,as soon as I figure out what the
              group wants to do I will use your talents and references.

              Humbly,
              - Sukeie
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ezequiel" <sekinakagawa@...> wrote:

                > Greetings!
                > I need help with putting together a SCA award for a japanese persona.
                > Can anyone help?

                Found it. This one was done by Kurokamakiri-hime:
                http://signet.eastkingdom.org/gallery.php?img=63&scribe=31

              • danabren
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
                  > > Greetings!
                  > > I need help with putting together a SCA award for a japanese
                  persona.
                  > > Can anyone help?
                  >
                  > Found it. This one was done by Kurokamakiri-hime:
                  > http://signet.eastkingdom.org/gallery.php?img=63&scribe=31
                  >
                  > Saionji no Hanae
                  > West Kingdom

                  Alas, that image was too large to fit on the color copier, and Kass
                  hasn't been able to get a photograph of it to me. But what looks
                  like kanji is actually a "hack" hand, and is legible if you have the
                  key.

                  I am more than happy to send along the handout from my "Hack" class,
                  if you and your group would like it. Please understand that I won't
                  be able to send it until after Pennsic ;)

                  Kurokamakiri/Danabren
                • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
                    Thanks,
                    That is a beautiful piece of work, very inspiring. Any help is welcome, I
                    have not been told exactly what the group wants but will seek further help s
                    soon as I know and any help is gracefully welcome.

                    Humbly,
                    -Sukeie

                    but not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

                    FanHouse Fantasy Football today.

                  • Aaron Grossman
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
                      When I have a chance I'll upload my AoA as another example. I'll try to find time before we leave for war. I look forward to meeting many of you next week.

                      Yours in service,
                      Kawaguchi no Ryutaro

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
                        Here is a link to mine.
                        http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/moonflake1978/scroll.jpg
                        Fuyu

                        "Well behaved women rarely made history"

                        When I have a chance I'll upload my AoA as another example. I'll try to find time before we leave for war. I look forward to meeting many of you next week.

                        Yours in service,
                        Kawaguchi no Ryutaro

                        > > I need help with putting together a SCA award for a japanese
                        persona.
                        > > Can anyone help?
                        >
                        > Found it. This one was done by Kurokamakiri- hime:
                        > http://signet. eastkingdom. org/gallery. php?img=63& scribe=31
                        >
                        > Saionji no Hanae
                        > West Kingdom

                        Alas, that image was too large to fit on the color copier, and Kass
                        hasn't been able to get a photograph of it to me. But what looks
                        like kanji is actually a "hack" hand, and is legible if you have the
                        key.

                        I am more than happy to send along the handout from my "Hack" class,
                        if you and your group would like it. Please understand that I won't
                        be able to send it until after Pennsic ;)

                        Kurokamakiri/ Danabren

                      • aimee brooks
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
                          I would b very interested in this "hack' hand kanji script. If you're
                          sending out copies, please include me on the list.
                          Domo Arigato,
                          -Hirokawa no Tsuru

                        • Aaron Grossman
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
                            Ok, it's my AoA is online. It's viewable at the address below. Click on the image to see the much higher resolution full sized version, where you can see the text. I've transcribed it for comparison purposes.

                            http://aarongrossman.com/sca/aoa.html

                            All the best on your project.

                            YiS,
                            Kawaguchi no Ryutaro

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
                              it's the same script on mine too.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
                                > Posted by: "Ezequiel"
                                >
                                > Greetings!
                                > I need help with putting together a SCA award for a japanese persona.
                                > Can anyone help?
                                >
                                > Posted by: "wodeford"
                                > Found it. This one was done by Kurokamakiri-hime:
                                > http://signet.eastkingdom.org/gallery.php?img=63&scribe=31

                                This is a lovely scroll, if you can get it done by them, I recommend it.
                                The other option is getting one of the pre-made Japanese scrolls you can
                                find in Asian bookstores and on-line and work something with that. There
                                are some nice scripts available for the computer if you look around.

                                Jim Eckman
                              • sekinakagawa@aol.com

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 29, 2008
                                    Kombanwa,

                                    I cannot be much help in the creation/crafting process, but here is an
                                    example of a Japanese-inspired scroll that might be if some use to your
                                    project.

                                    Overall -
                                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/41108267@N00/2715365321/in/photostream/

                                    Detail -
                                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/41108267@N00/2715365335/

                                    Yoshi

                                    Akitsuki Yoshimitsu - Barony of Coeur d'Ennui, Kingdom of Calontir
                                    Wealth and rank are like the clouds; I do not wish for such transient
                                    things.

                                    > I need help with putting together a SCA award for a japanese persona.
                                    > Can anyone help?
                                  • seven_add1
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 12, 2008
                                      On www.dafont.com they have a font called Sumdumgoi that looks pretty
                                      Japanese.
                                    • seven_add1
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 12, 2008
                                        On www.dafont.com they have a font called Sumdumgoi that looks pretty
                                        Japanese.

                                        Tatsume
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 12, 2008

                                          > On www.dafont.com they have a font called Sumdumgoi that looks pretty
                                          > Japanese.

                                          With all possible respect, in a word BARF! Please, please, please try to
                                          learn Japanese. Please do not write English with a "Japanesey" script.

                                        • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 12, 2008
                                            Greetings!
                                            That is what I am trying to attempt with this scroll. I am just waiting to
                                            see what the baroness wants before I attempt to use a translator or seek
                                            further help, but I am very happy and gratefully that the e-mails on this topic
                                            still coming and I am taking full advantage of all given information. Long
                                            time ago when I was a young Marine I was station in Yokosuka, Japan,
                                            unfortunately for me all the language that I learned is now in a hidden spot in my brain
                                            and I am unable to recall much or any (if only small common phrases).

                                            Humbly,
                                            -Sukeie

                                            To ask a question may be a moments' shame,
                                            But not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

                                            Read reviews on AOL Autos.

                                          • seven_add1
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Aug 13, 2008
                                              wrote:

                                              > Noble Cousin!
                                              >
                                              > Greetings from Solveig!
                                              > > On www.dafont.com they have a font called Sumdumgoi that looks pretty
                                              > > Japanese.
                                              >
                                              > With all possible respect, in a word BARF! Please, please, please try to
                                              > learn Japanese. Please do not write English with a "Japanesey" script.
                                              >
                                              > Your Humble Servant
                                              > Solveig Throndardottir
                                              > Amateur Scholar

                                              I was just mentioning it because there was an example of a scroll that
                                              was written in English with a "Japanesey" script (I think they were
                                              calling it hack or something) so I was just giving another example. I
                                              personally prefer to write in Japanese.

                                              Tatsume