Pennsic Gathering

  • danabren
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 16, 2008
      Yes, we know, tea isn't really period for we idle Heian women.

      Join the ladies of Takuaki* at Pennsic 36, on the afternoon of
      Monday, August 4, 2008, in N13, on the corner of Cariadoc and
      Chandlers. We will have tea, and onigiri, and maybe shaved ice and
      Pocky sticks**.

      Look for the Autumn banner, a golden maple leaf on a silken red
      field, to guide your pilgrim's feet to our modest sanctuary.

      Please BYO feast gear, or least your own cup and chopsticks. Donations
      are always welcomed, but not necessary.

      Japanese garb is strongly encouraged, but if you have a friend who is
      really REALLY interested in Japanese culture and doesn't have
      anything to wear, they may join us.

      Saka-hime, Mishime, and myself all hope that you can join us for a few
      fleeting hours of clever puns, waka, and maybe a sip of sake or two.

      More details to come, I wanted to make sure that we caught people
      before they left for Staff Week

      *Taku = Hall Aki = Autumn. Ergo, "Autumn Hall"

      ** Also very not period. But still yummy.

      Kurokamakiri/Danabren
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 16, 2008
        Noble Cousins!

        Greetings from Solveig! I do also hope that a few of you will have
        time for my tea demo and my poetry class. If you are of the Heian
        persuasion, you may also be interested in my incense demo as well.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 17, 2008

          On 2008 Jul 16, at 1:08 PM, danabren wrote:

          > *Taku = Hall Aki = Autumn. Ergo, "Autumn Hall"

          I fear that you folks may be confusing Japanese with French.
          French does indeed place adjectives after nouns, but Japanese
          pretty much can not. Thus, 宅秋 (Takuaki) more or less means
          "residential autumn". Further, I should mention that "hall" is not
          the primary meaning for 宅 (taku), rather "residence" is the'
          primary meaning as in 自宅 (jitaku). 宅 can also refer to the
          plot of land on which your residence stands. Another potential
          problem with your construction is that while "aki" is a kun-yomi
          reading, while taku is an on-yomi reading. Thus, it would more
          likely force an onyomi reading on Autum, which is "SHŪ". If you
          want something which means "Autumn Residence", then I
          suppose that you can consider "shūtaku".

          Incidentally, I really like Poky. I also rather enjoy Calpis.

        • danabren
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 17, 2008
            > > *Taku = Hall Aki = Autumn. Ergo, "Autumn Hall"
            >
            > I fear that you folks may be confusing Japanese with French.
            > French does indeed place adjectives after nouns, but Japanese
            > pretty much can not. Thus, 宅秋 (Takuaki) more or less means
            > "residential autumn". Further, I should mention that "hall" is not
            > the primary meaning for 宅 (taku), rather "residence" is the'
            > primary meaning as in 自宅 (jitaku). 宅 can also refer to the
            > plot of land on which your residence stands. Another potential
            > problem with your construction is that while "aki" is a kun-yomi
            > reading, while taku is an on-yomi reading. Thus, it would more
            > likely force an onyomi reading on Autum, which is "SHŪ". If you
            > want something which means "Autumn Residence", then I
            > suppose that you can consider "shūtaku".
            >
            > Incidentally, I really like Poky. I also rather enjoy Calpis.
            >
            > Your Humble Servant
            > Solveig Throndardottir
            > Amateur Scholar

            The ladies had been discussing what to call our little group, and
            Master Edward was kind enough to give some general assistance in
            translation. Because we couldn't get an exact translation, we opted
            for a loose translation and pleasant word sounds, since "akitaku" did
            not sound pleasing to our ear.

            We will certainly take your information under advisement, and
            appreciate the time you took.

            Kurokamakiri/Danabren
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 17, 2008

              > The ladies had been discussing what to call our little group, and
              > Master Edward was kind enough to give some general assistance in
              > translation. Because we couldn't get an exact translation, we opted
              > for a loose translation and pleasant word sounds, since "akitaku" did
              > not sound pleasing to our ear.
              >
              > We will certainly take your information under advisement, and
              > appreciate the time you took.

              Ahh! The major problem is that you publicized either your ignorance
              or your disregard for research by what you previously posted.
              Basically, being incorrect is just fine as long as you are not making
              claims of research or are open to correction. Unfortunately, you
              folks attempted to explain your name in your earlier posting.

              Thus, your announcement makes me worry about just how genuinely
              friendly your gathering may be.

            • danabren
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 17, 2008
                Lady Solveig,

                Your courtesy is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your
                words. I will give them all the consideration that they are due.

                Kurokamakiri/Danabren
              • d0n4peace
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 21, 2008
                  Ohayoo Gozaimasu,
                  I am a humble samurai sent by my Lord (US NAVY) to Yokosuka, (Nihon
                  Daisuke!! ;) and I am in search of any SCA kingdoms in Japan (kanto
                  plane prefered) that I may offer my skills and enthusiasm to a worthy
                  cause. I have a background in Aikido and jujitsu and an sca pesona of a
                  Norse origin, and am eager to learn all that I can while here (3 year
                  billet with odd hours for study, and yes my wife speaks native
                  nihongo.) also If any one needs any omiage please let this humble
                  servant of fate now what he may do.
                  Taka Farstrider
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 21, 2008

                    > Ialso If any one needs any omiage please let this humble
                    > servant of fate now what he may do.

                    That is a dangerous offer! For example, do you have a
                    Japanese postal address? If you do, then I would like
                    to act as a relay service. I can order things in Japan from
                    vendors who do not ship out of Japan. Also, just how
                    willing are you to make side trips? There is a wonderful
                    arts and crafts supply store in Kamata. Then there are
                    calligraphy shops, &c. I am quite happy to reimburse you.

                  • d0n4peace
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 22, 2008
                      Noble lady-
                      I am in the semi unique (about a thousand more of us sailors here)
                      position that I am soon to live out in town (A beautefull Japanese
                      house I call GoyenJo.) and work on base and thusly will have both a
                      JN address and an american FPO adress. As such I am in a similar
                      position that there are many companies that will not ship to FPO
                      adresses (Darn you Mantiss swords.com!) At any rate my whole mission
                      here is all about side trips! I am not farmiliar with kamata? This
                      is a store or province? is it close to tokyo? do you mean kyoto? have
                      you ever heard of Yuzawaya? it is Ameretsu's gift to craftsman here
                      in Japan! each floor of these chain store buildings has large (by
                      space limited JN standards) sections devoted to a craft,
                      woodworking, textiles, stained glass, beadwork ect. are these
                      specialty pens and ink stones that the lady requires? or perhaps the
                      next time My travels take me near there I will bring a camera and
                      post some pictures of items that you may require for comparison
                      shopping. (any excuse to go there is a good excuse it is almost too
                      fun wandering that store and looking at all the gadgets they have
                      there.) at any rate Thorondottir-San if you would like to seriously
                      discuss buissness please Email me a shopping list and preffered
                      stores to d0n4peace@... and we can discuss the details.

                      So no active groups you know of in Japan? I am joining a kendo club
                      on base but its not the same.

                      Humbly
                      Taka Farstrider

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 22, 2008

                        > I am in the semi unique (about a thousand more of us sailors here)
                        > position that I am soon to live out in town (A beautefull Japanese
                        > house I call GoyenJo.) and work on base and thusly will have both a
                        > JN address and an american FPO adress.
                        This means that you should be able to receive things at your Japanese
                        house with its Japanese address, and ship things using US domestic
                        rates from your FPO address!! You should find out what your Japanese
                        address is.
                        > I am not farmiliar with kamata?
                        It is a train station in the Tokyo area. Lets see, Toyoko Mekama Sen
                        runs from Meguro to Kamata where it meets a JR line. I
                        suppose that I can look up the exact name for the JR line.
                        > Yuzawaya?
                        Actually, that is the name of the Arts and Crafts store which I
                        recall being
                        located in Kamata. I bought a bunch of stuff there. The store is truly
                        awesome. For those of you who have never been there, imagine something
                        the size of a couple of Walmart Super Centers glued together and devoted
                        to people engaged in arts and crafts.
                        > So no active groups you know of in Japan? I am joining a kendo club
                        > on base but its not the same.

                        Well, there was a stronghold in the Kanto area a number of years ago.
                        All of Japan, is part of the Barony of the Far West.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 22, 2008
                          wrote:
                          > That is a dangerous offer! For example, do you have a
                          > Japanese postal address? If you do, then I would like
                          > to act as a relay service. I can order things in Japan from
                          > vendors who do not ship out of Japan.

                          I have not used this service for buying from sellers who don't ship
                          outside Japan, but I've heard good things from folks who have:
                          http://www.crescent-shop.com/

                        • donald seebald
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 23, 2008
                            Fair Lady,
                            As it happens a Yuzawaya store quite convienently  exists well within the beaten path between My residence in Yokosuka and where the local heavies ply their sword play in camp Zama.  At any rate Fair Thorndardottir-san If you would wish to check out the Yuzawaya at the Yamato station on the keiku line between ebina and yokohama on the net, I am sure you will find It is one of the larger ones, I have been to said shop many times in the past (I'm a repete offender in Japan) and I am sure that they will have what you may need or point me in the direction I will need to find it.
                            As for my Mailing address out in town I do not move into said castle untill mid next week paperwork and exchange rate permitting. so I want to be sure of the address and my precense within before I have random Packages enroute,
                            I pray for your understanding and paitence.
                            Humbly
                            Taka Farstrider

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 23, 2008
                              Noble Cousin!

                              Greetings from Solveig! I am in no rush as I am currently in the
                              midst of pre-Pennsic insanity!

                            • panimagdalena56
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 28, 2008
                                > Yes, we know, tea isn't really period for we idle Heian women.

                                And a Kamakura insect, but Pennsic should be fun as well.

                                Mushime