Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Kamon Color

  • Elaine Koogler
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 4, 2008
      I hate to disagree with you, Solveig, but I know that, unless things
      have changed drastically, folks were encouraged to register heraldry
      using purple and green specifically because there weren't a whole lot of
      devices registered with the CoH that used those colors...the other
      colors and the metals aare heavily used. Also encouraged were the
      unusual furs...plummety, etc. I even have one friend, a Countess, whose
      heraldry has a purple and green (divided per pale...vertically, for
      those of you who are unfamiliar with heraldic terminology) field! And,
      given that more and more heraldry is being registered, which means that
      bringing devices/badges clear of conflict, I find it hard to un is more
      difficult, I do not understand why they would do this. Yes, there is a
      restriction on orange as it does not conform with the 14th century basis
      for how we do heraldry in the SCA.

      However, it may have changed, so I will check with our current heraldic
      staff and inquire.

      Kiri

      Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

      > Noble Cousin!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig!
      >
      > > Out of curiosity, is this prejudice against green and purple just for
      > > Japanese heraldry or do you believe it to be across the board?
      >
      > I believe that the prejudice is across the board. Within a strictly
      > Japanese context, both colors are somewhat unusual and may
      > have at various times been restricted. I do not recall seeing
      > purple and green used by banners in battle paintings.
      >
      > Your Humble Servant
      > Solveig Throndardottir
      > Amateur Scholar

    • Elaine Koogler
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 4, 2008
        I just heard back from one of the heralds who has, for several years,
        worked with the submission process (devices in particular) with the
        Wreath Herald. This is the person who handles submissions for the
        Laurel Sovereign of Arms. According to him:

        "Vert and purpure were certainly not common in period European heraldry.
        There were practical problems with vert fields (they blended into the
        background too well in most places), and the color was associated with
        the Saracens (green is quite common in Islamic heraldry). Purpure
        started out as a purplish gray -- described as "a mixture of all the
        other tinctures" in a number of early sources -- and wasn't terribly
        popular as such; true purples would not have been very colorfast on
        shields, and the colorfast purple fabric dyes were so expensive that
        only the serious uppermost crust could afford them.

        However, we do have some examples of both vert and purpure being used
        throughout medieval and renaissance Europe (East and West). So, while
        the heralds will often point out that the two tinctures are less common,
        and we may try to dampen enthusisasm for OVER-using them, we do NOT
        discourage their use."

        I hope this will sort things out...

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 5, 2008
          Kiri hime!

          > I hate to disagree with you, Solveig, but I know that, unless things
          > have changed drastically, folks were encouraged to register heraldry
          > using purple and green specifically because there weren't a whole
          > lot of
          > devices registered with the CoH that used those colors...the other
          > colors and the metals aare heavily used.

          That changed after the "modest proposal" eliminated conflict checking
          against Papworth, &c.

        • Maddalena Alessandra
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 5, 2008
            As someone who passed a European style  device purpure(purple) and blue(azure) per pale (vertical split) for the field and  with these same colors and division for  the charge a badge fieldless(no specified background color), it passed a decade ago, but you get some looks especially from heralds if the colors kinda meld, such as mine and a friend who use a green and blue split field

            Maeda/Madd Alex

            --- On Fri, 7/4/08, Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@...> wrote:

            This is the person who handles submissions for the
            Laurel Sovereign of Arms. According to him:

            "Vert and purpure were certainly not common in period European heraldry.
            Purpure started out as a purplish gray ---- and wasn't terribly
            popular true purples were so expensive

            However, we do have some examples of both vert and purpure being used throughout medieval and renaissance Europe (East and West). So,  we may try to dampen enthusisasm for OVER-using them, we do NOT discourage their use."

            .