Re: [SCA-JML] Kamon Color

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 3, 2008

      > What is the correct color for at 16th century Kamon?

      Although depictions of kamon in rolls of arms such as Daibukan are
      monochromatic and frequently simply outline drawings, battle paintings,
      town paintings, &c. tell a different story. Typically kamon have up to
      three colors with high contrast. Typical colors are: White, black,
      red, and blue.

      > Additionally would an allied family use the the Mori red color as a
      > backgroungd for thier Kamon? Or would they use another color?

      I doubt that it goes either way. Just pick colors that you like.

      > Her choice would be to use a purple background with a white kamon.

      I recommend against using purple. Not only will it likely raise eyebrows
      at the College of Arms, there is also reason to believe that its use in
      pre-modern Japan was rather unusual.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 3, 2008

        > While we are on this subject; does anyone knows if badges that are
        > fieldless need to be color? (I already have a device I am just curious
        > as to the rule on badges).
        One piece badges can be any of the standard "tinctures" used by the
        college of arms. In particular: yellow, white, red, blue, and black.
        Some other colors such as green and purple can also be used, but
        are generally discouraged. Some other colors such as orange are
        highly controversial.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 3, 2008

          > I'd also check about registering a device that's part of one's
          > family's
          > heraldry. At least there used to be a rule against this...still
          > may be.

          Shhh! Just don't tell them. The real concern is that people not claim
          rank or status that was not awarded within the Society. The reality
          of Japanese kamon is that they are generally used widely and not
          restricted to specific individuals. Consequently, you should not
          expect to have the same sort of problems with them that people
          can have with Anglo-Norman practice.

        • Elaine Koogler
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 4, 2008
            Out of curiosity, is this prejudice against green and purple just for
            Japanese heraldry or do you believe it to be across the board? I do
            know that, in the past at least, the use of these colors has been
            encouraged as they are not used as commonly as the others and are
            therefore more likely to pass as their use reduces the possibility of
            conflict.

            However, what the CoH does with Japanese heraldry is constantly
            changing. When I registered my heraldry originally, it was blazoned
            just like European heraldry and used all of the same rules/colors. A
            few years later, they changed the rules to say that mon would be
            registered without color and could be used in any color the owner
            preferred. Several years later, the rules again were changed to say
            that all Japanese mon (badge and device) had to be registered using only
            black and white. Again, the heraldry could be displayed in any color.
            More recently, they have gone back to the original rules, or so I
            understood. The thing that's been "fun" is that my blazons/emblazons
            have changed with each modification of the rules. It was during the all
            black and white period that I was granted my augmentation of arms...when
            I tried to register them as they were given to me (two golden dragons) I
            was told that I should register them in white/silver to conform to the
            rules regarding mon. I argued that the SCA rules said that I was a
            visitor to a European court and as such should use the augmentation as
            it was given to me! So....that's the way it's registered.

            Just a short history lesson on how Japanese heraldry has been done by
            the SCA over the past 30 years!

            Kiri (former Triton Principal Herald of Atlantia)

            Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

            > Noble Cousin!
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig!
            > > While we are on this subject; does anyone knows if badges that are
            > > fieldless need to be color? (I already have a device I am just curious
            > > as to the rule on badges).
            > One piece badges can be any of the standard "tinctures" used by the
            > college of arms. In particular: yellow, white, red, blue, and black.
            > Some other colors such as green and purple can also be used, but
            > are generally discouraged. Some other colors such as orange are
            > highly controversial.
            >
            > Your Humble Servant
            > Solveig Throndardottir
            > Amateur Scholar

          • Ezequiel
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 4, 2008
              Greetings!
              This is another reason I have come to love our culture and this site.
              Is interresting the way the CoH have made changes base on the needs of
              our SCA culture.
              When my device passed the rule was B&W with the understanding that I
              could use it in any color that would clearly show it in my Japanese
              Garbs, and it was in Atlantia were I submitted.
              Today, I am not sure of the rules, I truely would like to know what
              they are doing with our submitions. Anyone have a clue?

              Humbly,
              -Sukeie
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 4, 2008

                > Out of curiosity, is this prejudice against green and purple just for
                > Japanese heraldry or do you believe it to be across the board?

                I believe that the prejudice is across the board. Within a strictly
                Japanese context, both colors are somewhat unusual and may
                have at various times been restricted. I do not recall seeing
                purple and green used by banners in battle paintings.

              • Elaine Koogler
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 4, 2008
                  I hate to disagree with you, Solveig, but I know that, unless things
                  have changed drastically, folks were encouraged to register heraldry
                  using purple and green specifically because there weren't a whole lot of
                  devices registered with the CoH that used those colors...the other
                  colors and the metals aare heavily used. Also encouraged were the
                  unusual furs...plummety, etc. I even have one friend, a Countess, whose
                  heraldry has a purple and green (divided per pale...vertically, for
                  those of you who are unfamiliar with heraldic terminology) field! And,
                  given that more and more heraldry is being registered, which means that
                  bringing devices/badges clear of conflict, I find it hard to un is more
                  difficult, I do not understand why they would do this. Yes, there is a
                  restriction on orange as it does not conform with the 14th century basis
                  for how we do heraldry in the SCA.

                  However, it may have changed, so I will check with our current heraldic
                  staff and inquire.

                  Kiri

                  Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

                  > Noble Cousin!
                  >
                  > Greetings from Solveig!
                  >
                  > > Out of curiosity, is this prejudice against green and purple just for
                  > > Japanese heraldry or do you believe it to be across the board?
                  >
                  > I believe that the prejudice is across the board. Within a strictly
                  > Japanese context, both colors are somewhat unusual and may
                  > have at various times been restricted. I do not recall seeing
                  > purple and green used by banners in battle paintings.
                  >
                  > Your Humble Servant
                  > Solveig Throndardottir
                  > Amateur Scholar

                • Elaine Koogler
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 4, 2008
                    I just heard back from one of the heralds who has, for several years,
                    worked with the submission process (devices in particular) with the
                    Wreath Herald. This is the person who handles submissions for the
                    Laurel Sovereign of Arms. According to him:

                    "Vert and purpure were certainly not common in period European heraldry.
                    There were practical problems with vert fields (they blended into the
                    background too well in most places), and the color was associated with
                    the Saracens (green is quite common in Islamic heraldry). Purpure
                    started out as a purplish gray -- described as "a mixture of all the
                    other tinctures" in a number of early sources -- and wasn't terribly
                    popular as such; true purples would not have been very colorfast on
                    shields, and the colorfast purple fabric dyes were so expensive that
                    only the serious uppermost crust could afford them.

                    However, we do have some examples of both vert and purpure being used
                    throughout medieval and renaissance Europe (East and West). So, while
                    the heralds will often point out that the two tinctures are less common,
                    and we may try to dampen enthusisasm for OVER-using them, we do NOT
                    discourage their use."

                    I hope this will sort things out...

                    Kiri

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 5, 2008
                      Kiri hime!

                      > I hate to disagree with you, Solveig, but I know that, unless things
                      > have changed drastically, folks were encouraged to register heraldry
                      > using purple and green specifically because there weren't a whole
                      > lot of
                      > devices registered with the CoH that used those colors...the other
                      > colors and the metals aare heavily used.

                      That changed after the "modest proposal" eliminated conflict checking
                      against Papworth, &c.

                    • Maddalena Alessandra
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 5, 2008
                        As someone who passed a European style  device purpure(purple) and blue(azure) per pale (vertical split) for the field and  with these same colors and division for  the charge a badge fieldless(no specified background color), it passed a decade ago, but you get some looks especially from heralds if the colors kinda meld, such as mine and a friend who use a green and blue split field

                        Maeda/Madd Alex

                        --- On Fri, 7/4/08, Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@...> wrote:

                        This is the person who handles submissions for the
                        Laurel Sovereign of Arms. According to him:

                        "Vert and purpure were certainly not common in period European heraldry.
                        Purpure started out as a purplish gray ---- and wasn't terribly
                        popular true purples were so expensive

                        However, we do have some examples of both vert and purpure being used throughout medieval and renaissance Europe (East and West). So,  we may try to dampen enthusisasm for OVER-using them, we do NOT discourage their use."

                        Kiri

                        .