Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Kamon Size?

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
      On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 7:13 AM, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
      > Here's Ii-dono's interpretation of a large kamon design on a kataginu.
      > http://wodefordhall.com/iikataginuback.jpg

      I should point out that while the placement of the design is too low,
      I took this from a display at the Hikone museum that had a kataginu of
      hemp with the character for well ('i') write large upon its back. At
      the same time, I think the garment itself was a repro for the
      character of Ii Naomasa in 'Aoi Tokugawa Sandai', so keep that in
      mind.

      -Ii
    • sekinakagawa@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
        Greetings and well met!
        Thank you all, as always the fact of so many periods comes out, and all
        your answers are so well put. So, for shorts I could use a single large one on
        the back of the upper portion of the garment and it would be ok (what about
        the front?) or I could do as in the Nobunaga picture and again what would the
        approximate size of the "small ones" when you use 5 markings would be?

        Humbly,
        - Sukeie
        but not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sekinakagawa@... wrote:

          > Greetings and well met!
          > Thank you all, as always the fact of so many periods comes out, and
          all
          > your answers are so well put. So, for shorts I could use a single
          large one on
          > the back of the upper portion of the garment and it would be ok
          (what about
          > the front?) or I could do as in the Nobunaga picture and again what
          would the
          > approximate size of the "small ones" when you use 5 markings would be?

          If you do the large one, there really isn't room on the front to
          repeat it, though you could certainly embellish both sides with
          stripes above the kamon as in Ii-dono's red kataginu.

          For the smaller two-front/one-back arrangement, maybe 2 to 2.5 inches
          in diameter. (Modern crested haori and kimono tend to have even
          smaller kamon on them, around 1.5 to 2 inches.)

        • Ezequiel
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2008
            Hanae-hime,
            Thank you so much for the info and thanks to Solveig, Ii, and everyone
            else. I will be working on marking my garbs this weekend as I am not
            going to make it to the An Tir / West War (couldn't get out of work)
            and will post picures of them (maybe even with me wearing them,
            hehehe).

            Humbly,
            - Sukeie