Re: Kamon Size?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ezequiel" <sekinakagawa@...> wrote:

      > Greetings and well met!
      > My question is really quick and posibly easy. What is the size of the
      > kamon on the Kataguni? (top and hakama)

      It varies. You can go really big and bold or with smaller kamon in
      this period.

      Examples of the use of kamon or kamon-like designs on kataginu:

      Several figures in this detail of "The Maple Viewers", a 16th century
      painting. Kneeling man at left in black kataginu and the standing man
      with parasol at right both show large designs, while the figure in the
      green cloud patterned ensemble (which looks rather like OD green camo)
      has smaller ones:
      http://www.tnm.go.jp/gallery/search/images/max/C0042445.jpg

      Here's Ii-dono's interpretation of a large kamon design on a kataginu.
      http://wodefordhall.com/iikataginuback.jpg

      This figure from the Kyoto Costume Museum displays smaller kamon on
      his kataginu. The outfit is based on a portrait of Oda Nobunaga.
      http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/27.htm
      http://www.samurai-archives.com/image/nobunaga.jpg

    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
        On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 7:13 AM, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
        > Here's Ii-dono's interpretation of a large kamon design on a kataginu.
        > http://wodefordhall.com/iikataginuback.jpg

        I should point out that while the placement of the design is too low,
        I took this from a display at the Hikone museum that had a kataginu of
        hemp with the character for well ('i') write large upon its back. At
        the same time, I think the garment itself was a repro for the
        character of Ii Naomasa in 'Aoi Tokugawa Sandai', so keep that in
        mind.

        -Ii
      • sekinakagawa@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
          Greetings and well met!
          Thank you all, as always the fact of so many periods comes out, and all
          your answers are so well put. So, for shorts I could use a single large one on
          the back of the upper portion of the garment and it would be ok (what about
          the front?) or I could do as in the Nobunaga picture and again what would the
          approximate size of the "small ones" when you use 5 markings would be?

          Humbly,
          - Sukeie
          but not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sekinakagawa@... wrote:

            > Greetings and well met!
            > Thank you all, as always the fact of so many periods comes out, and
            all
            > your answers are so well put. So, for shorts I could use a single
            large one on
            > the back of the upper portion of the garment and it would be ok
            (what about
            > the front?) or I could do as in the Nobunaga picture and again what
            would the
            > approximate size of the "small ones" when you use 5 markings would be?

            If you do the large one, there really isn't room on the front to
            repeat it, though you could certainly embellish both sides with
            stripes above the kamon as in Ii-dono's red kataginu.

            For the smaller two-front/one-back arrangement, maybe 2 to 2.5 inches
            in diameter. (Modern crested haori and kimono tend to have even
            smaller kamon on them, around 1.5 to 2 inches.)

          • Ezequiel
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2008
              Hanae-hime,
              Thank you so much for the info and thanks to Solveig, Ii, and everyone
              else. I will be working on marking my garbs this weekend as I am not
              going to make it to the An Tir / West War (couldn't get out of work)
              and will post picures of them (maybe even with me wearing them,
              hehehe).

              Humbly,
              - Sukeie