Re: [SCA-JML] Kamon Size?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008

      Generally speaking, the farther back you go, the bigger the kamon
      get. Also, the business about putting only one, two, three, or five
      on your clothes is pretty recent. Early practice was to stick the
      things all over the garment sort of like polka dots.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ezequiel" <sekinakagawa@...> wrote:

        > Greetings and well met!
        > My question is really quick and posibly easy. What is the size of the
        > kamon on the Kataguni? (top and hakama)

        It varies. You can go really big and bold or with smaller kamon in
        this period.

        Examples of the use of kamon or kamon-like designs on kataginu:

        Several figures in this detail of "The Maple Viewers", a 16th century
        painting. Kneeling man at left in black kataginu and the standing man
        with parasol at right both show large designs, while the figure in the
        green cloud patterned ensemble (which looks rather like OD green camo)
        has smaller ones:
        http://www.tnm.go.jp/gallery/search/images/max/C0042445.jpg

        Here's Ii-dono's interpretation of a large kamon design on a kataginu.
        http://wodefordhall.com/iikataginuback.jpg

        This figure from the Kyoto Costume Museum displays smaller kamon on
        his kataginu. The outfit is based on a portrait of Oda Nobunaga.
        http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/27.htm
        http://www.samurai-archives.com/image/nobunaga.jpg

      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
          On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 7:13 AM, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
          > Here's Ii-dono's interpretation of a large kamon design on a kataginu.
          > http://wodefordhall.com/iikataginuback.jpg

          I should point out that while the placement of the design is too low,
          I took this from a display at the Hikone museum that had a kataginu of
          hemp with the character for well ('i') write large upon its back. At
          the same time, I think the garment itself was a repro for the
          character of Ii Naomasa in 'Aoi Tokugawa Sandai', so keep that in
          mind.

          -Ii
        • sekinakagawa@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
            Greetings and well met!
            Thank you all, as always the fact of so many periods comes out, and all
            your answers are so well put. So, for shorts I could use a single large one on
            the back of the upper portion of the garment and it would be ok (what about
            the front?) or I could do as in the Nobunaga picture and again what would the
            approximate size of the "small ones" when you use 5 markings would be?

            Humbly,
            - Sukeie
            but not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sekinakagawa@... wrote:

              > Greetings and well met!
              > Thank you all, as always the fact of so many periods comes out, and
              all
              > your answers are so well put. So, for shorts I could use a single
              large one on
              > the back of the upper portion of the garment and it would be ok
              (what about
              > the front?) or I could do as in the Nobunaga picture and again what
              would the
              > approximate size of the "small ones" when you use 5 markings would be?

              If you do the large one, there really isn't room on the front to
              repeat it, though you could certainly embellish both sides with
              stripes above the kamon as in Ii-dono's red kataginu.

              For the smaller two-front/one-back arrangement, maybe 2 to 2.5 inches
              in diameter. (Modern crested haori and kimono tend to have even
              smaller kamon on them, around 1.5 to 2 inches.)

            • Ezequiel
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 3, 2008
                Hanae-hime,
                Thank you so much for the info and thanks to Solveig, Ii, and everyone
                else. I will be working on marking my garbs this weekend as I am not
                going to make it to the An Tir / West War (couldn't get out of work)
                and will post picures of them (maybe even with me wearing them,
                hehehe).

                Humbly,
                - Sukeie