Re: [SCA-JML] Device Newbie Questions

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008

      >> 3. The significant problem from a College of Arms aspect is the
      >> "triune" aspect of the butterfly. Generally speaking, the College
      >> of Arms resists
      >> registering devices shown in triune aspect. There are exceptions
      >> such as dice.
      >>
      > I'm not familiar with creating a device at all, I don't understand
      > exactly what that means. Does it mean the way the butterfly is turned?

      What "triune aspect" means to the College of Arms is "drawn as a
      three dimensional figure". Generally speaking, animals, &c. are
      drawn so that they are more or less squashed. For example, you
      might see them strictly from the side. Your butterfly was obviously
      taken from Japanese sources and is correct for Japan, but the
      folks in the College of Arms may take exception.

      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008

        > to register it, and it won't show up on award scrolls, etc. As long as
        > you aren't using someone else's historical or SCA armory, no one can
        > stop you from using a design you like.

        The College of Arms pretty much abandoned protecting historical
        armory about fifteen years ago. Today, it only protects "important"
        armory outside of the Society. There is even armory which they
        should in my opinion be protecting which last I heard they do not.
        This includes the provincial arms of the Canadian Provinces and
        the sixteen petal chrysanthemum. Incidentally, you can get arrested
        in Japan for misusing the sixteen petal chrysanthemum. Or at least
        as recently as the late 1980's when a Japanese businessman was
        arrested for doing so.

      • Kelly Thurman Peters
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008
          Just so I have it straight on the 3D aspect, this type of butterfly:
          http://i29.tinypic.com/n39p91.jpg would be approvable, but not the
          one I had chosen?

          _______
          Takeda Sakura
          Webminister: Crimson River

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 2, 2008

            > Just so I have it straight on the 3D aspect, this type of butterfly:
            > http://i29.tinypic.com/n39p91.jpg would be approvable, but not the
            > one I had chosen?

            You would have a better chance of getting it through the College of
            Arms.
            However, you might still have problems due to the non Anglo-Norman
            depiction of the butterfly.

          • kegage
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
              You might consider submitting the kamon as butterfly from the side (a
              butterfly statant, closed)with the sakura on the wing. After it passes
              the college's scrutiny, display it in Trian Aspect.

              Uilleam

              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Kelly Thurman Peters <Nichy@...> wrote:

              > Just so I have it straight on the 3D aspect, this type of butterfly:
              > http://i29.tinypic.com/n39p91.jpg would be approvable, but not the
              > one I had chosen?
              >
              > _______
              > Takeda Sakura
              > Webminister: Crimson River

            • Kelly Thurman Peters
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
                Do you know where I could find an image like that? If for no other
                reason that to use it to draw something off of.

                _______
                Takeda Sakura
                Webminister: Crimson River

                On Jul 3, 2008, at 5:49 PM, kegage wrote:

                > You might consider submitting the kamon as butterfly from the side (a
                > butterfly statant, closed)with the sakura on the wing. After it passes
                > the college's scrutiny, display it in Trian Aspect.
                >
                > Uilleam
                >
                > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Kelly Thurman Peters <Nichy@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Just so I have it straight on the 3D aspect, this type of butterfly:
                > > http://i29.tinypic.com/n39p91.jpg would be approvable, but not the
                > > one I had chosen?

              • kegage
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 5, 2008
                  I don't have a source at the moment, but I will search around and see
                  what I can find.

                  Uilleam