Device Newbie Questions

  • Kelly Thurman Peters
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 1 6:20 PM
      I have been working on my device, it is a sakura mon shadowed on a
      simplified butterfly mon (Agehanochō the butterfly mon of the Taira
      clan). My local herald doesn't have any experience with anything
      Japanese and ask that I asked on here for advice on how to blazon it.
      My persona is from the muromachi period if that is relevant.

      Thanks in advance for your help

      _______
      Takeda Sakura
      Webminister: Crimson River

    • Kelly Thurman Peters
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 1 6:24 PM
        Since it stripped off the html, here are the relevant links.

        My device: http://pics.livejournal.com/takedasakura/pic/0000fr26

        Agehanochō: http://pics.livejournal.com/takedasakura/pic/0000as9e

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 1 8:48 PM

          >> I have been working on my device, it is a sakura mon shadowed on a
          >> simplified butterfly mon (Agehanochō the butterfly mon of the Taira
          >> clan). My local herald doesn't have any experience with anything
          >> Japanese and ask that I asked on here for advice on how to blazon it.
          >> My persona is from the muromachi period if that is relevant.

          1. It has to be blazoned using the SCA blazoning system. Thus, your
          local herald or a regional herald needs to come up with a herald speak
          approach to things.

          2. There are several problems with the design. For SCA purposes, you
          might consider whether or not the sakura design shouldn't be put on
          both wings of the butterfly. As a recreation of Japanese heraldry, the
          proposed design is rather poor as there is no significant connection
          between butterflies and cherry blossoms.

          3. The significant problem from a College of Arms aspect is the "triune"
          aspect of the butterfly. Generally speaking, the College of Arms resists
          registering devices shown in triune aspect. There are exceptions such
          as dice.

        • Kelly Thurman Peters
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 1 9:43 PM
            On Jul 1, 2008, at 10:48 PM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:
            > 2. There are several problems with the design. For SCA purposes,
            > you might consider whether or not the sakura design shouldn't be
            > put on both wings of the butterfly.

            I had a version with it on both wings actually and wasn't sure which
            would be more correct. So, that actually helps me decide which of the
            two to submit.

            > As a recreation of Japanese heraldry, the proposed design is rather
            > poor as there is no significant connection between butterflies and
            > cherry blossoms.

            I was going with the ephemeral quality of life that sakura represent.
            They're considered beautiful and are short lived, butterflies are
            considered beautiful and short lived, both things quite delicate, as
            well as the possible visual representation of falling sakura being
            similar to the flight of butterflies. I may be stretching way too
            hard there, or I might not understand what correct connections should
            be, so if that doesn't work, then maybe you could give me an example
            or two of appropriate connections. : )

            > 3. The significant problem from a College of Arms aspect is the
            > "triune" aspect of the butterfly. Generally speaking, the College
            > of Arms resists
            > registering devices shown in triune aspect. There are exceptions
            > such as dice.

            I'm not familiar with creating a device at all, I don't understand
            exactly what that means. Does it mean the way the butterfly is turned?

            Thanks for your help.

            ______
            Takeda Sakura
            Webminister: Crimson River

          • Furukusu Masahide (Taliesin)
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 2 10:35 AM
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Kelly Thurman Peters <Nichy@...> wrote:
              <snip>
              > I'm not familiar with creating a device at all, I don't understand
              > exactly what that means. Does it mean the way the butterfly is turned?

              Greetings!

              I happen to be something of a herald, so I thought I would comment on
              some of your questions here.

              Train aspect is a term used in heraldry to describe a 3D or 3/4 aspect
              figure. This gives depth to the figure and makes it look like it is
              three dimensional. Period western (and SCA) heraldry use 2D figures and
              represntations. Think "flat", "face on", or "side on" items. The
              blossom is drawn in an acceptable style.

              Submitting armory to the College of Arms in the SCA means that you will
              need to have a design that can be descibed using the European methods
              of heraldry. Appropriate design for Japanese Mon really doesn't matter
              from that standpoint (don't get me wrong, I like appropriate period
              Japanese Mon, but from a registration standpoint in the SCA it really
              doesn't matter).

              If you want a butterfly (think western butterfly pinned into an insect
              collection) and you want to put some sakura blossoms on the wings, that
              is possible. The butterfly you have now cannot be described as
              a "normal" "western" butterfly, and will not (yes I am making
              assumptions with this, but based on my experience it is true) be able
              to be registered.

              As far as the sakura blossom goes, I'm not sure if it could be
              registered as such, or simply registered as a "cinq-foil" (a five
              petaled flower) with the depiction being artistic license.

              The other option is this: If you find a design that is in a Japanese
              period style, and you want to use it, go ahead. You just won't be able
              to register it, and it won't show up on award scrolls, etc. As long as
              you aren't using someone else's historical or SCA armory, no one can
              stop you from using a design you like.

              Furukusu Masahide
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 2 3:16 PM

                >> 3. The significant problem from a College of Arms aspect is the
                >> "triune" aspect of the butterfly. Generally speaking, the College
                >> of Arms resists
                >> registering devices shown in triune aspect. There are exceptions
                >> such as dice.
                >>
                > I'm not familiar with creating a device at all, I don't understand
                > exactly what that means. Does it mean the way the butterfly is turned?

                What "triune aspect" means to the College of Arms is "drawn as a
                three dimensional figure". Generally speaking, animals, &c. are
                drawn so that they are more or less squashed. For example, you
                might see them strictly from the side. Your butterfly was obviously
                taken from Japanese sources and is correct for Japan, but the
                folks in the College of Arms may take exception.

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 2 3:24 PM

                  > to register it, and it won't show up on award scrolls, etc. As long as
                  > you aren't using someone else's historical or SCA armory, no one can
                  > stop you from using a design you like.

                  The College of Arms pretty much abandoned protecting historical
                  armory about fifteen years ago. Today, it only protects "important"
                  armory outside of the Society. There is even armory which they
                  should in my opinion be protecting which last I heard they do not.
                  This includes the provincial arms of the Canadian Provinces and
                  the sixteen petal chrysanthemum. Incidentally, you can get arrested
                  in Japan for misusing the sixteen petal chrysanthemum. Or at least
                  as recently as the late 1980's when a Japanese businessman was
                  arrested for doing so.

                • Kelly Thurman Peters
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 2 5:28 PM
                    Just so I have it straight on the 3D aspect, this type of butterfly:
                    http://i29.tinypic.com/n39p91.jpg would be approvable, but not the
                    one I had chosen?

                    _______
                    Takeda Sakura
                    Webminister: Crimson River

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 2 8:54 PM

                      > Just so I have it straight on the 3D aspect, this type of butterfly:
                      > http://i29.tinypic.com/n39p91.jpg would be approvable, but not the
                      > one I had chosen?

                      You would have a better chance of getting it through the College of
                      Arms.
                      However, you might still have problems due to the non Anglo-Norman
                      depiction of the butterfly.

                    • kegage
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 3 3:49 PM
                        You might consider submitting the kamon as butterfly from the side (a
                        butterfly statant, closed)with the sakura on the wing. After it passes
                        the college's scrutiny, display it in Trian Aspect.

                        Uilleam

                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Kelly Thurman Peters <Nichy@...> wrote:

                        > Just so I have it straight on the 3D aspect, this type of butterfly:
                        > http://i29.tinypic.com/n39p91.jpg would be approvable, but not the
                        > one I had chosen?
                        >
                        > _______
                        > Takeda Sakura
                        > Webminister: Crimson River

                      • Kelly Thurman Peters
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 3 10:40 PM
                          Do you know where I could find an image like that? If for no other
                          reason that to use it to draw something off of.

                          _______
                          Takeda Sakura
                          Webminister: Crimson River

                          On Jul 3, 2008, at 5:49 PM, kegage wrote:

                          > You might consider submitting the kamon as butterfly from the side (a
                          > butterfly statant, closed)with the sakura on the wing. After it passes
                          > the college's scrutiny, display it in Trian Aspect.
                          >
                          > Uilleam
                          >
                          > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Kelly Thurman Peters <Nichy@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Just so I have it straight on the 3D aspect, this type of butterfly:
                          > > http://i29.tinypic.com/n39p91.jpg would be approvable, but not the
                          > > one I had chosen?

                        • kegage
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 5 11:08 PM
                            I don't have a source at the moment, but I will search around and see
                            what I can find.

                            Uilleam