Re: [SCA-JML] Eh?

    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 25, 2008

      Greetings from Solveig! While not totally impossible, your theory
      sounds a bit muddled to me.

      > Hideyoshi's final rank (and position) was much higher than the
      > customary Imperial rank awarded to the shogun... However my
      > understanding of the requirements to become shogun dictated that
      > one be
      > of Minamoto or Taira lineage, (not rank) and though Hideyoshi would
      > attain greater rank, he was never adopted into the requisite lineages.

      Whose requirements? As recently as the Kamakura bakufu, there were
      shogūn who did not belong to either the Minamoto or Taira.

      > If he was adopted by the Fujiwara, his "humble origins" would be
      > irrelivant. As for the Toyotomi being an Uji, it is based upon status
      > of the Fujiwara, which of course is from the Nakatomi (which is why
      > the
      > tomi is preserved in the Toyotomi name.)

      Nonsense. The emperor enjoyed the sole prerogative to create new uji.

      > By taking an Imperial title, he was conveying an identity to the
      > golden
      > past, and at the same time extending his sphere of influence...

      征夷大将軍 (shōgun) IS an imperial title of the fifth rank!

      > After all the shogun is just a top general... A minister govenrs
      > all the
      > state, not just the military...

      Well, the prime minister is the highest official not belonging to the
      imperial
      spectrum. This office had enough prestige that it was not always
      appointed. However, Hideyoshi was actually given a brand new title.