Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Nice reference on Shibori (Cross posted from Tousando)

  • Andrew T Trembley
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 27, 2008
      On Jun 27, 2008, at 3:12 PM, wodeford wrote:

      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Leonard, Elizabeth A. @ Sacramento"
      > <elizabeth.leonard@...> wrote:
      >
      >> The fabric was blue and I used full-strength bleach barely dabbed
      >> with a
      >> q-tip on the tip of the pucker. The bleach bled out (bleach
      >> bleeds- ask
      >> any bottle blonde) about 1/2 inch- passing my thread loop but
      >> leaving a
      >> hint of the blue underneath.
      >
      > Given that shibori is usually accomplished by dyeing undyed fabric
      > rather than bleaching pre-dyed fabric, it sounds like your results
      > were a function of the bleach.

      There's a whole modern practice of using bleach to "dye" colored
      cloth. The term for it is "dye discharge." It's usually accomplished
      with paste-form bleach ("discharge paste") or with those bleach pens
      you can get at the supermarket.

      Still, sounds like it's not going to save any work over traditional
      shibori technique.

      andy