Re: Help!

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 13, 2008
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "reishi00" <reishi00@...> wrote:

      > Ok, Mina-dono,
      >
      > I need some help, please. I have questions about kosode, hitoe, and
      > other kimono-like robes. And I get a lot of different answers from
      > websites, incomplete instructions from books, and pictures aren't
      > posed so my novice sewing skill can actually see ratios. Therefore, I
      > shall ask you all. Please help?
      >
      > Firstly: Sleeves.
      Firstly, exactly WHICH period do you want to dress for? Once you
      answer that, I will be happy to attempt to answer this question. Heian
      open sleeved garments are not kosode. Kosode in the Heian period are
      underwear. Kosode eventually becomes outerwear.

      Kosode are distinguished by the curved bottom edge and closed front of
      the sleeve. Other women's Heian robes have large, squared sleeves that
      are open in the front and back. They should be longer than your arms.

      > Will someone please, please tell how I can scale this down a bit?
      > Because I look like I got attacked by a bolt of fabric and lost.
      You're supposed to. http://www.wodefordhall.com/kmocc26b.jpg
      Trust me, I am not built anything like a modern Japanese woman, much
      less one from the period. If anything, these should probably be even
      bigger on me than they are.

      Dimensions I used for Heian kosode, hitoe, uchigi and uwagi can be
      found here: http://www.wodefordhall.com/heian.htm

      I am attempting to entertain an out of town guest this weekend so I
      may not be online much for the next couple of days. I will be happy to
      answer what questions I can when I can.

      Saionji no Hanae
      West Kingdom.