Re: [SCA-JML] Female Given Name

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 66 , Jun 11, 2008
      On 6/12/08, Luka Petrova <Nichy@...> wrote:
      > I am just starting out research for a Japanese persona and so far I haven't been able to
      > find very much on female Japanese names.

      Unfortunately, that is a problem. What era are you looking at? That
      might help find specific examples.

      > What I was wondering is would Sakura be an acceptable pre 17th century female given
      > name? I have a feeling if it is, that it might be a "done to death" type thing. If that's the
      > case let me know as well. I'm just particularly attached to that name and was hoping it
      > would be possible to use it.

      You could definitely justify it, I think. Look at 'Matsu' (Pine) of
      'Toshie & Matsu'--she was the wife of Maeda Toshiie in the 16th
      century. However, while I can't think of anyone named that off the
      top of my head, it seems extremely cliche for some reason.

      Here are some other plants and trees that might be doable (I don't know):

      Hasu (Lotus), Matsu (Pine), Kashiwa (White Oak).

      I'd look up native plants and see what could be found. If you have
      questions, you can ask and we can probably tell you whether it is
      likely appropriate for the period.

      Or you could probably go with Sakura. As I said, it seems cliche,
      though I can't think of any other reason not to do it.

      -Ii
    • Maddalena Alessandra
      Message 66 of 66 , Jun 23, 2008
        Thanks for all the assistance,
        Now when I'm ready to change projects I know what to do.  I really wish I could start this now, maybe when I take a break.  I have a punjabi for this weekend and an Elizabethan mans outfit for someone else needed the middle to end of next month, having to size up from 1x to 3x and rework all the parts is a headache.  That and something for the Pennsic goody baskets which have to be my current projects besides my internship stuff(medical technology)

        Madd/Maeda

        From: Catie F <seven_add1@yahoo. com>
        To: sca-jml@yahoogroups .com
        Date: Monday, June 23, 2008, 12:50 PM

        Here's a website pattern I've found. http://fibers. destinyslobster. com/Japanese/ Clothes/japmakem enshakama. htm . Like most Japanese garb it's a bunch of squares. Got any questions, just ask and I'm sure your wife would be willing to help you understand this further. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a life time. :)

        Tatsume