Female Given Name

  • Luka Petrova
    Message 1 of 66 , Jun 11, 2008
      I am just starting out research for a Japanese persona and so far I haven't been able to
      find very much on female Japanese names.

      These are the two links I have found so far that list info on female names:

      http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/names.html and
      http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi/3001.txt

      I noticed there was a comment on the first article "Frequently the names of plants, things
      from the arts, seasonal elements, and other "feminine" things were taken for use as
      women's names. For example, in the film Ran, the bitch-figure is Kaede (maple)."

      As well as the listed surnames: Sakuma and Sakurai, Sakuma listed as a given name in the
      second article as well.

      What I was wondering is would Sakura be an acceptable pre 17th century female given
      name? I have a feeling if it is, that it might be a "done to death" type thing. If that's the
      case let me know as well. I'm just particularly attached to that name and was hoping it
      would be possible to use it.

      Also, can anyone link me to any more information on female japanese given names?

      Thanks in advance,
      Kelly
    • Maddalena Alessandra
      Message 66 of 66 , Jun 23, 2008
        Thanks for all the assistance,
        Now when I'm ready to change projects I know what to do.  I really wish I could start this now, maybe when I take a break.  I have a punjabi for this weekend and an Elizabethan mans outfit for someone else needed the middle to end of next month, having to size up from 1x to 3x and rework all the parts is a headache.  That and something for the Pennsic goody baskets which have to be my current projects besides my internship stuff(medical technology)

        Madd/Maeda

        From: Catie F <seven_add1@yahoo. com>
        To: sca-jml@yahoogroups .com
        Date: Monday, June 23, 2008, 12:50 PM

        Here's a website pattern I've found. http://fibers. destinyslobster. com/Japanese/ Clothes/japmakem enshakama. htm . Like most Japanese garb it's a bunch of squares. Got any questions, just ask and I'm sure your wife would be willing to help you understand this further. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a life time. :)

        Tatsume