CAID Collegium Class

  • celticmiste48
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 10, 2008
      Greetings,

      At the last Collegium, I got it in my head that it might be nice to
      offer a class on the Japanese Tea ceremony for this upcoming Fall
      Collegium, along with the option of sampling the tea and a sweet of
      some sort during the class. Of course, a class block is two hours, and
      my knowledge of Tea and pre-modern culture in Japan is by no means
      exhaustive. I was wondering if I could get some feedback, on what
      folks might like to see included in the class, so I can better prepare
      a lecture outline.

      Right now, I'm looking at a broad overview of Chado from its origins
      up to about the end of the SCA period or shortly after. I'm planning
      on including a summary of Buddhism and how it relates to Tea, and a
      similarly brief overview of the arts (pottery, calligraphy, etc)
      involved in the ceremony.

      I was wondering if there were other things people might like to see
      presented in the class.

      Thank you for your time!
      --Bronwyn of Gyldenholt
    • Bryant Richards
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 10, 2008
        It's always fun to learn about the little things that could be missed (like what direction to point the tea pot in)

        I too am teaching a class at RUM this year and Japanese Naming Practices as it applies to the SCA and also on titles, etc.

        In Honor and Service,

        Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 11, 2008

          > At the last Collegium, I got it in my head that it might be nice to
          > offer a class on the Japanese Tea ceremony for this upcoming Fall
          > Collegium, along with the option of sampling the tea and a sweet of
          > some sort during the class.
          Ahhh. I'm not sure what exactly you are proposing to do. The sencha
          ceremony is pretty much post-period in Japan. The Matcha ceremony
          is solidly period. The problem with matcha is that it requires
          significant
          set up and tear down time and non-trivial actual execution time.

          Sweets themselves are somewhat problematic. Assuming that you are
          preparing usucha, then tradition says that you should serve higashi.
          Higashi is not that difficult to make, but it is difficult to find
          premade in
          North America. Omogashi is a bit easier as I'm pretty sure that
          mizuyokan
          is period.

          > Right now, I'm looking at a broad overview of Chado from its origins
          > up to about the end of the SCA period or shortly after. I'm planning
          > on including a summary of Buddhism and how it relates to Tea, and a
          > similarly brief overview of the arts (pottery, calligraphy, etc)
          > involved in the ceremony.

          Thinking big aren't you. Actually, one hour of instruction followed by a
          demo should work fairly well. The thing that you need to account for is
          setup and tear down time which have to occur before and after your
          time slot. Basically all of the mizuya work and that sort of stuff.

          So, where is this event supposed to take place?

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 11, 2008
            Noble Cousin!

            Greetings from Solveig! I forgot to ask which temae you were planning
            on performing.

          • celticmiste48
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 12, 2008
              wrote:

              > Ahhh. I'm not sure what exactly you are proposing to do. [...]

              I had planned a basic (matcha) usucha hira-demae or rakubon; I have
              enough of the necessary equipment to manage either one - I do plan on
              trying to get a few straw beach mats so I can do it on the floor of
              the classroom (actual tatami being both prohibitively expensive and
              unable to fit in my dinky car). I will have to 'cheat' and use a hot
              plate for the kettle, as I have not yet advanced enough to learn about
              the charcoal procedures (and I'm not sure live fire would be the best
              idea for this). My main goal is to approximate the overall 'feel' of
              the ceremony, and provide a visual presentation of the steps that are
              involved in the basic ceremony.

              > Sweets themselves are somewhat problematic. Assuming that you are
              > preparing usucha, then tradition says that you should serve higashi.
              > Higashi is not that difficult to make, but it is difficult to find
              > premade in North America. Omogashi is a bit easier as I'm pretty
              sure that mizuyokan is period.

              My current plan is to order the higashi from a site like
              Tea-circle.com in advance, but also bring something like mochigashi to
              offer a bit of variety to those present. If I'm feeling especially
              ambitious, I may try my hand at candied citrus peel, though I'm not
              sure of how 'period' it is. Most of the books on candy that I've seen
              in bookstores are in Japanese, and my language skills are intermediate
              at best.

              > Thinking big aren't you. Actually, one hour of instruction followed
              by a demo should work fairly well. The thing that you need to account
              for is setup and tear down time which have to occur before and after
              your time slot. Basically all of the mizuya work and that sort of stuff.

              Thank you for reminding me of the mizuya portion. I (foolishly) forgot
              about that and was focusing on the contents of the lecture. Oops!

              > So, where is this event supposed to take place?

              According to the site
              (http://www.collegiumcaidis.org/08fall/index.html):
              Calle Mayor Middle School
              4800 Calle Mayor
              Torrance, CA, 90505

              I've never taught a class of any sort before, so please feel free to
              point out anything I'm forgetting.

              Thank you!
              --Bronwyn
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 12, 2008

                > I had planned a basic (matcha) usucha hira-demae or rakubon;

                Rakubon is of course the easiest. And, you bring in the water pre-
                heated.

                > I have
                > enough of the necessary equipment to manage either one - I do plan on
                > trying to get a few straw beach mats so I can do it on the floor of
                > the classroom (actual tatami being both prohibitively expensive and
                > unable to fit in my dinky car).

                Roll up mats or even simply rugs will work.

                > I will have to 'cheat' and use a hot
                > plate for the kettle,

                Ahh. You don't have a furo. That does present problems of a hira temae.
                Incidentally I have done quite a few demos using a hibachi made out of
                plaster of paris or something like that which belongs to someone else.
                I have also conducted tea ceremonies in camp grounds using a dug for
                the occasion fir pit for a ro even though it was Summer. I do have two
                furo, but I have yet to taken either camping. I have brought the smaller
                one to do indoor tea demos at events.

                > as I have not yet advanced enough to learn about
                > the charcoal procedures (and I'm not sure live fire would be the best
                > idea for this).

                Don't worry about the charcoal ceremony. In most temae, you do not
                arrange the charcoal anyway. They do manufacture electric heaters
                specifically for the tea ceremony. If you have enough time and
                financial resources, you should be able to buy one from Tea Circle
                if you don't already have one.

                > My current plan is to order the higashi from a site like
                > Tea-circle.com in advance, but also bring something like mochigashi to
                > offer a bit of variety to those present.

                If you are into cooking, then you can even acquire a copy of the
                following
                book provided you can deal with the Japanese.

                ISBN: 4473018954

                > Most of the books on candy that I've seen
                > in bookstores are in Japanese, and my language skills are intermediate
                > at best.

                That's what the pictures are for. Incidentally, okashi is supposed to
                have
                originally referred to fruit and nuts. However, the tea ceremony is
                rather
                strongly associated with tōgashi.

                Out of curiosity, who are you studying tea with?

              • celticmiste48
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 16, 2008
                  wrote:
                  > > I had planned a basic (matcha) usucha hira-demae or rakubon;
                  > Rakubon is of course the easiest. And, you bring in the water pre-
                  > heated.
                  [...]
                  > Ahh. You don't have a furo. That does present problems of a hira
                  temae. Incidentally I have done quite a few demos using a hibachi made
                  out of plaster of paris or something like that which belongs to
                  someone else. I have also conducted tea ceremonies in camp grounds
                  using a dug for the occasion fir pit for a ro even though it was
                  Summer. I do have two furo, but I have yet to taken either camping. I
                  have brought the smaller one to do indoor tea demos at events.
                  [...]
                  I do have the kama/furo set, but the heating element that is electric
                  is the expensive one from Tea Circle, hence the need for a hot plate.
                  But as you say below, if the charcoal setup doesn't matter, then I can
                  use the whole furo setup without much difficulty. For the plaster of
                  paris that you're talking about - do you have pictures of one? The
                  only thing I'm visualizing are the small, table-top-sized ones that
                  one might grill fish or toast mochi on.

                  Also, might you have any tips or tricks for the charcoal? (Ways to
                  arrange it, light it, etc.)

                  > Don't worry about the charcoal ceremony. In most temae, you do not
                  > arrange the charcoal anyway. They do manufacture electric heaters
                  > specifically for the tea ceremony. If you have enough time and
                  > financial resources, you should be able to buy one from Tea Circle
                  > if you don't already have one.
                  >
                  > > My current plan is to order the higashi from a site like
                  Tea-circle.com in advance, but also bring something like mochigashi to
                  offer a bit of variety to those present.

                  > If you are into cooking, then you can even acquire a copy of the
                  > following book provided you can deal with the Japanese.
                  >
                  > ISBN: 4473018954
                  [...] Incidentally, okashi is supposed to have originally referred to
                  fruit and nuts. However, the tea ceremony is rather strongly
                  associated with tōgashi.

                  My cooking skills are pretty poor, but if the pictures are thorough, I
                  could probably stumble my way through it. I'll keep an eye out for
                  that book closer to the date of Collegium. Thank you!

                  > Out of curiosity, who are you studying tea with?
                  I'm currently taking lessons from Tam Nomoto, who studies under Soyu
                  Koizumi of the Orange County Chapter.
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 16, 2008

                    > Also, might you have any tips or tricks for the charcoal? (Ways to
                    > arrange it, light it, etc.)
                    Do you have any of the books that show how the charcoal is
                    theoretically arranged? You can simply try to approximate one
                    of the standard arrangements. As for getting the stuff going, my
                    sensei used to stick charcoal in a perforated sauce pan and cook
                    it over a bas burner. This charcoal would be arranged in sort of a
                    tee-pee arrangement in the furo or ro, and then fresh charcoal would
                    be arranged on top of it in one of the prescribed patterns.