Re: [SCA-JML] Okusa Ryu Fish Carving

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3 8:01 AM

      > Ok, I guess I'll be the ignorant one and ask... is it a religious
      > thing? Is it culinary? Neither?

      It was culinary. The Okusa were the chefs who served the shogun as
      opposed to the Shijō who served the emperor. There appears to a bit
      of a period food fad going on in Japan. Earlier, Ii wrote about his
      meal at a "Heian" restaurant. The Okusa folks (and they do have a
      national organization) combine Taiko drumming and itamae performance
      such as you saw in the video.