Re: [SCA-JML] Okusa Ryu Fish Carving

  • Rich Goble
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2008
      Ok, I guess I'll be the ignorant one and ask... is it a religious thing? Is it culinary? Neither?

      It was interesting to watch, but I don't understand its purpose. Please explain, Solveig-sensei.

      - Imagawa Tadamori

      Greetings from Solveig! Since Tosando is down at the moment:

      http://www.ookusa.net/roots/houtoushiki.wmv

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2008

        > Ok, I guess I'll be the ignorant one and ask... is it a religious
        > thing? Is it culinary? Neither?

        It was culinary. The Okusa were the chefs who served the shogun as
        opposed to the Shijō who served the emperor. There appears to a bit
        of a period food fad going on in Japan. Earlier, Ii wrote about his
        meal at a "Heian" restaurant. The Okusa folks (and they do have a
        national organization) combine Taiko drumming and itamae performance
        such as you saw in the video.