Okusa Ryu Fish Carving

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2008

      Greetings from Solveig! Since Tosando is down at the moment:

      http://www.ookusa.net/roots/houtoushiki.wmv

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2008

        Greetings from Solveig! Since Tosando is down at the moment:

        http://www.ookusa.net/roots/houtoushiki.wmv

      • Rich Goble
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2008
          Ok, I guess I'll be the ignorant one and ask... is it a religious thing? Is it culinary? Neither?

          It was interesting to watch, but I don't understand its purpose. Please explain, Solveig-sensei.

          - Imagawa Tadamori

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2008

            > Ok, I guess I'll be the ignorant one and ask... is it a religious
            > thing? Is it culinary? Neither?

            It was culinary. The Okusa were the chefs who served the shogun as
            opposed to the Shijō who served the emperor. There appears to a bit
            of a period food fad going on in Japan. Earlier, Ii wrote about his
            meal at a "Heian" restaurant. The Okusa folks (and they do have a
            national organization) combine Taiko drumming and itamae performance
            such as you saw in the video.