question on three petal mon

  • hector baez
    Message 1 of 15 , May 17 7:22 AM
      Lords and Ladies

      Is a three petal mon "period"?

      And is it Heraldic incorrect to use a three petal mon?

      thank you in advance.

      regards

      hector

    • Elaine Koogler
      Message 2 of 15 , May 17 11:17 AM
        Three-petal mon? I've got to think that you're talking about a flower.
        Mon is the terms used to refer to what Europeans call devices or badges
        (depending on the type of mon). So far as flowers are concerned, it
        would probably depend on whether or not the type of flower you have
        chosen occurs with only three petals. I can't think of anything like
        that unless it would be a type of orchid, but then I'm not a botanist.

        I don't know if this helps or not, but perhaps....

        Kiri
        Atlantia

        hector baez wrote:

        > Lords and Ladies
        >
        > Is a three petal mon "period"?
        >
        > And is it Heraldic incorrect to use a three petal mon?
        >
        > thank you in advance.
        >
        > regards
        >
        > hector

        Relay for Life is the signature event for the American Cancer Society.
        This link
        <http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RelayForLifeSouthAtlanticDivision?px=3678599&pg=personal&fr_id=9276>
        will take you to my personal page where you can learn more about this
        exciting event...and, if you like, donate to help fund the conquest of
        cancer.

        Message 3 of 15 , May 17 11:22 AM
          Yes Mon, the specific flower it represent would be a sakura mon "cherry blossom device"

          thank you

          Hector

          Message 4 of 15 , May 17 11:30 AM
            Hmmmmm.....there's a problem here, I think, with terminology. Mon is
            what any device or badge that's Japanese is called. Mine is three
            dragon's claws that meet at the tips on top of a ring. Our clan mon is
            a double-spiraled lightening bolt. Both of these are mon...as is one
            depicting a cherry blossom, chrysanthemum or (as is the case with my
            secondary mon) paulownia leaves and tendrils! Perhaps someone else has
            seen a cherry blossom depicted with three petals, but I have not.
            However, that's not to say that it couldn't be.

            Message 5 of 15 , May 17 11:42 AM
              Thank you for the responses seems by SCA heraldic standards say five petals is considered a "cherry blossom" or A plum flower/a standard cinquefoil-type flower.

              Was looking for some period information stating that three petals sakuras did exist as mon, but guess thats neither here or there.... rules are rules.

              Regards

              Hector

              hector baez wrote:

              > Yes Mon, the specific flower it represent would be a sakura mon
              > "cherry blossom device"
              >
              > thank you
              >
              > Hector

            • Elaine Koogler
              Message 6 of 15 , May 17 11:49 AM
                No, actually I wasn't responding as an SCA herald...though I have been
                one. However, I'm talking about Japanese standards. Perhaps Master
                Edward or Ii-dono could respond. As I said, I know that Japanese
                designers in period frequently took liberties with what existed in
                nature, but, though I've seen many mon in various books from Japan about
                mon, I don't recall seeing a cherry blossom depicted with fewer than 5
                petals.

                Kiri

                Message 7 of 15 , May 17 12:00 PM
                  Yes I understand,.
                  I have seen cherry blossom depicted with three petals, and was thinking it was 'period'.
                  I was referring to new information of another mail stateing cherry blossom must be depicted with five
                  petals by SCA heraldic standards.

                  thanks again

                  regards

                  Hector

                • sigrune@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 18 5:43 PM
                    From: hector baez <hector_m_baez@...>

                    "Yes I understand,.

                    I have seen cherry blossom depicted with three petals, and was thinking
                    it was 'period'.
                    I was referring to new information of another mail stateing cherry
                    blossom must be depicted with five
                    petals by SCA heraldic standards."

                    There are several three petal mon, one of which the flowers look
                    similar to the "sakura" mon, though very lobed in shape (like hearts)
                    I believe one of the plants is the oxtalis(katabami)

                    Also keep in mind that finding an ordinary that is in the shape of the
                    leaf and arranging that number of them in a circle, might get you a
                    better rendition of what you are going for heraldically.

                    Also you may just be able to pass it as "flower of three petals" the
                    CoA has been changing the definitions over the last few years.

                    -Takeda
                  • hector baez
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 18 5:57 PM
                      arigato Takeda-dono

                      Also you may just be able to pass it as "flower of three petals" the
                      CoA has been changing the definitions over the last few years.

                      yes I was told the same, we would want to keep the sakura...so I am currently in search for some five petal sakura designs.

                      again thank you for your assistance.

                      regards

                      hector

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 19 7:48 AM

                        > So far as flowers are concerned, it would probably depend on
                        > whether or not the type of flower you have chosen occurs with
                        > only three petals. I can't think of anything like that unless it
                        > would
                        > be a type of orchid, but then I'm not a botanist. I don't know if this
                        > helps or not, but perhaps....

                        You just need to broaden your thinking a bit. There are clusters
                        of petal shaped leaves out there and the Japanese also used
                        leaves to design kamon. Thus, you can consider such things as
                        clover. However, If I recall correctly, there is also a plant where
                        the "petals" are not indented in the manner of the clover.

                      • hector baez
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 19 7:25 PM
                          Again thanks to all for your input.

                          regards

                          hector

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 19 9:49 PM

                            Greetings from Solveig! Cherry blossoms have five petals:

                            I believe that these are the origin for the cap ornaments for
                            Japanese soldiers.

                          • booknerd9
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 20 4:55 PM
                              Is this a view of the flower from the top or the side? I've seen
                              pictures of mon that have flowers with three petals but that is only
                              because of the perspective. See the fourth row from the bottom:
                              http://www.otomiya.com/kamon/plant/kikyo.htm
                            • hector baez
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 20 8:46 PM
                                Thank you for the examples there are some there that I have not seen before.

                                regards

                                hector

                                Message 15 of 15 , May 28 8:48 AM

                                  > Is this a view of the flower from the top or the side? I've seen
                                  > pictures of mon that have flowers with three petals but that is only
                                  > because of the perspective. See the fourth row from the bottom:
                                  > http://www.otomiya.com/kamon/plant/kikyo.htm
                                  Neither. It is an arrangement of three of those five petal flowers.