Re: kabuto

  • David
    Message 1 of 10 , May 14, 2008
      My first kabuto was made that way with 16 Ga. sides, "mempo" and
      topped off with 1/4" round bar. I fought in it for several years and
      served me well. The WWII army pots have a special alloy. It welds
      normally but will dent easily. Since it is a work hardening steel do
      NOT attempt to remove any of those dents as it can cause it to crack.
      It does look decent but the spun domes are far better in the long
      run. If you intend to use an army pot be sure it is a WWII helmet and
      not a later one because the later ones are softer and will not stand
      up to the kind of punishment we will subject it to.

      Happy gunching!
      Ishikawa Moritake, the original "Jap Vader"

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "J. Norton" <princebeowulf@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone done a kabuto using an older (WWII) steel military helmet
      as a shortcut for the body/bowl. It seems like this would save a
      significant amount of time even taking into consideration modifiying
      it cosmetically to appear to have been made of multi-plates et riveted.

      > Is there a reason why I would not want to do this? (from a
      practical standpoint... I know there are myriad aesthetic reasons...)

      > If someone has is there anything I need to be cautious of?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Jeremy

    • rhoward
      Message 2 of 10 , May 14, 2008
        Kombanwa,

        I, too, started my career with a converted WWII US Army helmet. While the look was good for its
        time, it sufferred some of the difficulties that the honorable Ishikawa Moritake described.

        Calontir outlawed the use of Army helmets for helm construction for this, and other reasons (i.e.
        insufficient mass), and the crusty old thing (which was grandfathered) was auctioned off when it
        failed to make inspections.

        Be sure to check your kingdom's marshallate documents and The Society's
        (http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/armored/marshal_handbook.pdf) to see what your
        parameters are, if you have not done so already.

        Best of luck,
        Yoshi

        Akitsuki Yoshimitsu - Barony of Coeur d'Ennui, Kingdom of Calontir
        Wealth and rank are like the clouds; I do not wish for such transient things.

        Message 3 of 10 , May 14, 2008

          Greetings from Solveig! I haven't made a helmet in years, but
          converting a WWII US Army helmet sounds like rather a lot of work for
          what you get. Why not just make a segmented Japanese helmet? There
          are probably plans posted to the Yama Kaminari web site.