Re: [SCA-JML] Re: book on Japanese Calligraphy

    Message 1 of 21 , May 13, 2008

      > Since this programme is very popular, you should be able to find it
      > (without special
      > ordering) at any North American bookshop that caters to a Japanese
      > readership.
      Having purchased books from such stores in the past and purchased
      books from
      Amazon, I can say that Amazon was (last time I looked) rather more
      economical than
      patronizing a North-American Japanese book store. Alas, Amazon has
      discontinued
      SAL shipments and will now only ship via Air Express companies which
      are rather
      more expensive. So, maybe I will have to do some comparison shopping
      between
      kinocuniya.co.jp and amazon.co.,jp. Setting up my Kinokuniya account
      was rather
      more difficult than setting up my Amazon account, but Kinokuniya may
      be easier now.

    • Horatius at the Bridge
      Message 2 of 21 , May 15, 2008
        Does anyone know of someone making Teppo RBGs? There used to be a gentleman that did them several years ago, but I've heard he passed away.

        Alternatively, if theres someone that makes functioning black powder teppo (preferably percussion cap. Matchlock and flintlock get a bit messy.) I'd love to find them as well.

        Thank you in advance.Computers are alot like Old Testament gods; a lot of rules and absolutely no mercy. -- Joseph Campbell
      • James Eckman
        Message 3 of 21 , May 16, 2008
          > "Horatius at the Bridge"
          At least it's not "A dark and stormy night" ;)

          > Does anyone know of someone making Teppo RBGs?

          What's an RBGs?

          > Alternatively, if theres someone that makes functioning black powder teppo

          There are a done of repro dealers selling more modern stuff, worse comes
          to worse you could buy a barrel and build one:
          http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~wew/Tattershall-tb/ml.html
          http://www.luckhardt.com/capgray13.html

          etc...

          Also if it doesn't use a matchlock, it's not for SCA use! Everything
          else is post period.

          Jim
        • Diane Taylor
          Message 4 of 21 , May 16, 2008
            Is there a website that has printable Go Boards?

            I would like to actually put it on fabric so it will fit into a pouch.

            Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

            Message 5 of 21 , May 16, 2008
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Diane Taylor <qara0@...> wrote:

              > Is there a website that has printable Go Boards?

              It's grid 18 squares by 18 squares.
              http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Go_game_example.png

              Try this - http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
              Really.

            • Horatius at the Bridge
              Message 6 of 21 , May 17, 2008
                RBG= Rubber Band Gun. Well, technically, they shot a length of surgical tubing. Not really attempting to be period, they were just fun.

                As for using something other than matchlock, I just have a fear of watching the upper powder charge explode in my face because I did something wrong. While I would like to shoot a period weapon, I much prefer the safety and reliability of a percussion cap weapon manufactured from modern steel and fired with modern black or smokeless powder. Yes, that might make me a heretic, but I like to keep all my limbs and pointy bits attached. Computers are alot like Old Testament gods; a lot of rules and absolutely no mercy. -- Joseph Campbell

                To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.comFrom: ronin_engineer@...: Fri, 16 May 2008 16:23:28 -0700Subject: [SCA-JML] Re: Teppo

                Message 7 of 21 , May 17, 2008
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Horatius at the Bridge
                  <horatius314@...> wrote:

                  > RBG= Rubber Band Gun. Well, technically, they shot a length of
                  surgical tubing. Not really attempting to be period, they were just fun.

                  > As for using something other than matchlock, I just have a fear of
                  watching the upper powder charge explode in my face because I did
                  something wrong.

                  Firearms/black powder weapons are prohibited for SCA use. What I
                  believe Jim meant was that percussion cap technology did not exist
                  during SCA period.

                  You want to shoot at non-SCA events, go for it, as long as you are
                  complying with their rules.

                  I got to play with some 18th century flintlocks once, including a
                  Brown Bess, which is like cradling a freaking cannon in your arms. A
                  matchlock is a lot slower and safer. I also periodically go out with
                  an English Civil War group.

                  Flintlocks and matchlocks require that powder be charged into the
                  priming pan. This ignited by the application of slow match to the
                  touch hole or by the flint striking a spark. Both ignite relatively
                  slowly compared to modern gunpowder. Both are subject to the
                  occasional hangfire. I had two hangfires with the Bess. I'd done
                  everything correctly, according to my instructor. He'd watched
                  everything I'd done. It fired on the third try with an extra shot of
                  powder in the pan. Safely.

                  If you don't learn how to fire it safely, you have no business with
                  any sort of firearm, siege weapon, bow/arrow, slingshot. Period. The End.

                • Horatius at the Bridge
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 17, 2008
                    I understand that firearms of any type are prohibited at SCA events. I was simply looking for a new experience. I've fired many modern and pre-modern firearms. The design of the Teppo was so unique that I was interested in firing one simoly out of curiousity. Thats all.

                    And my concern with using flintlock and matchlock weapons stems from watching demonstrations of them and seeing uncontrolled detonations of the fine powder in the firing pans. I'd really like to avoid such things. Computers are alot like Old Testament gods; a lot of rules and absolutely no mercy. -- Joseph Campbell

                    To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.comFrom: wodeford@...: Sun, 18 May 2008 04:11:13 +0000Subject: [SCA-JML] Re: Teppo

                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Horatius at the Bridge<horatius314@...> wrote:>> > RBG= Rubber Band Gun. Well, technically, they shot a length ofsurgical tubing. Not really attempting to be period, they were just fun.> > As for using something other than matchlock, I just have a fear ofwatching the upper powder charge explode in my face because I didsomething wrong.Firearms/black powder weapons are prohibited for SCA use. What Ibelieve Jim meant was that percussion cap technology did not existduring SCA period. You want to shoot at non-SCA events, go for it, as long as you arecomplying with their rules. I got to play with some 18th century flintlocks once, including aBrown Bess, which is like cradling a freaking cannon in your arms. Amatchlock is a lot slower and safer. I also periodically go out withan English Civil War group. Flintlocks and matchlocks require that powder be charged into thepriming pan. This ignited by the application of slow match to thetouch hole or by the flint striking a spark. Both ignite relativelyslowly compared to modern gunpowder. Both are subject to theoccasional hangfire. I had two hangfires with the Bess. I'd doneeverything correctly, according to my instructor. He'd watchedeverything I'd done. It fired on the third try with an extra shot ofpowder in the pan. Safely. If you don't learn how to fire it safely, you have no business withany sort of firearm, siege weapon, bow/arrow, slingshot. Period. The End. Saionji no HanaeWest Kingdom

                  • ninjetterah
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 18, 2008
                      Here's a 13x13 go board:
                      http://www.dfki.uni-kl.de/~grimnes/2007/03/goboard/13x13_a3.pdf
                      and here's a 19x19 go board:
                      http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/Blank_Go_board.png
                      awws I can't find a black and white one. I guess you could set it to
                      print greyscale.. I have a 19x19 printed out go board but I can't
                      find the site anymore. That's annoying. I'm going to keep looking
                      for it though. The black and white one I have is printed out on 4
                      pages and taped together.

                      Here's an awesome site with printable tsumego problem books. Around
                      800 tsumego problems for different difficulty levels. Do you play on
                      KGS? I do off and on, I'm RahRah on there. Also, there is
                      http://www.dragongoserver.com it's a turn-based go website Rah on that
                      one. ^.^ Umm. Sorry I couldn't be much more help. This is actually
                      my first time posting on here. Good luck^.^

                      タカコ
                      (for now. till I learn the Kanji for it.)
                    • James Eckman
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 18, 2008
                        > RBG= Rubber Band Gun.

                        Ah.... That would be fun...
                        > Posted by: "wodeford"

                        > Firearms/black powder weapons are prohibited for SCA use.

                        I didn't know that. No demos???

                        > What I believe Jim meant was that percussion cap technology did not
                        > exist during SCA period.

                        Exactly.

                        > If you don't learn how to fire it safely, you have no business with
                        > any sort of firearm, siege weapon, bow/arrow, slingshot. Period. The End.

                        I cannot agree more. Find someone to train with if you aren't familiar
                        with black powder muzzleloaders. If you want an RBG, it would be trivial
                        to make. Water pipe, brass plate, etc would make a good model. Just make
                        sure you make the barrel non functional so some idiot doesn't try to
                        shoot it.

                        Jim