Re: book on Japanese Calligraphy

  • karenpendergast64
    Message 1 of 21 , May 12, 2008
      Hello, Mushime --

      Might I suppose that you're looking for beginner's books -- as opposed works that
      document museum collections, exhibition guides, or historical overviews?

      I'm also guessing that you're looking for affordable, readily available texts. There's not
      much point in people listing tomes that are decades old, prohibitively expensive, and
      probably requiring the specialized services of a book importer.

      So, with that in mind, I believe that Christopher J. Earnshaw's 'Sho: Japanese Calligraphy' is
      an excellent introductory work. He provides ample discussions on all aspects of practising
      this elegant art: shodô and its function in social history, its holy sages, the care of
      materials, and many other important aspects. I'm not particularly fond of his 'kaisho' style.
      The many 'o-tehon' [practice sheets] he provides are, well, not in my opinion the nicest.
      Still, he is one of the first Westerners to formally hold one of the top grades of a 'shihan'
      license, so who am I to judge?

      One of the most recent editions (Feb 2008) of NHK's wonderful series 'Shumi yûyû' [Time
      for a Hobby] was entirely dedicated to shodô. It was *fantastic*. Acting as a kind of tele-
      course, you could watch and learn through this programme and its daily lessons. As
      always, 'Shumi yûyû' provides an accompanying textbook for study:

      http://www.e-hon.ne.jp/bec/SA/Detail?
      refShinCode=0100000000000007196820&Action_id=121&Sza_id=C0

      The o-tehon are perfect for learning the basics. Carefully organised lessons develop
      through detailed depictions of brush-point control into analysis of space and balance in a
      scroll. Since this programme is very popular, you should be able to find it (without special
      ordering) at any North American bookshop that caters to a Japanese readership.

      Obviously, there is an incredible selection of books on these topics. But the two above are
      exemplary works for introductory study.

      Happy scripting.
      Message 2 of 21 , May 13, 2008

        > Since this programme is very popular, you should be able to find it
        > (without special
        > ordering) at any North American bookshop that caters to a Japanese
        > readership.
        Having purchased books from such stores in the past and purchased
        books from
        Amazon, I can say that Amazon was (last time I looked) rather more
        economical than
        patronizing a North-American Japanese book store. Alas, Amazon has
        discontinued
        SAL shipments and will now only ship via Air Express companies which
        are rather
        more expensive. So, maybe I will have to do some comparison shopping
        between
        kinocuniya.co.jp and amazon.co.,jp. Setting up my Kinokuniya account
        was rather
        more difficult than setting up my Amazon account, but Kinokuniya may
        be easier now.

      • Horatius at the Bridge
        Message 3 of 21 , May 15, 2008
          Does anyone know of someone making Teppo RBGs? There used to be a gentleman that did them several years ago, but I've heard he passed away.

          Alternatively, if theres someone that makes functioning black powder teppo (preferably percussion cap. Matchlock and flintlock get a bit messy.) I'd love to find them as well.

          Thank you in advance.Computers are alot like Old Testament gods; a lot of rules and absolutely no mercy. -- Joseph Campbell
        • James Eckman
          Message 4 of 21 , May 16, 2008
            > "Horatius at the Bridge"
            At least it's not "A dark and stormy night" ;)

            > Does anyone know of someone making Teppo RBGs?

            What's an RBGs?

            > Alternatively, if theres someone that makes functioning black powder teppo

            There are a done of repro dealers selling more modern stuff, worse comes
            to worse you could buy a barrel and build one:
            http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~wew/Tattershall-tb/ml.html
            http://www.luckhardt.com/capgray13.html

            etc...

            Also if it doesn't use a matchlock, it's not for SCA use! Everything
            else is post period.

            Jim
          • Diane Taylor
            Message 5 of 21 , May 16, 2008
              Is there a website that has printable Go Boards?

              I would like to actually put it on fabric so it will fit into a pouch.

              Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

              Message 6 of 21 , May 16, 2008
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Diane Taylor <qara0@...> wrote:

                > Is there a website that has printable Go Boards?

                It's grid 18 squares by 18 squares.
                http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Go_game_example.png

                Try this - http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
                Really.

              • Horatius at the Bridge
                Message 7 of 21 , May 17, 2008
                  RBG= Rubber Band Gun. Well, technically, they shot a length of surgical tubing. Not really attempting to be period, they were just fun.

                  As for using something other than matchlock, I just have a fear of watching the upper powder charge explode in my face because I did something wrong. While I would like to shoot a period weapon, I much prefer the safety and reliability of a percussion cap weapon manufactured from modern steel and fired with modern black or smokeless powder. Yes, that might make me a heretic, but I like to keep all my limbs and pointy bits attached. Computers are alot like Old Testament gods; a lot of rules and absolutely no mercy. -- Joseph Campbell

                  To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.comFrom: ronin_engineer@...: Fri, 16 May 2008 16:23:28 -0700Subject: [SCA-JML] Re: Teppo

                  Message 8 of 21 , May 17, 2008
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Horatius at the Bridge
                    <horatius314@...> wrote:

                    > RBG= Rubber Band Gun. Well, technically, they shot a length of
                    surgical tubing. Not really attempting to be period, they were just fun.

                    > As for using something other than matchlock, I just have a fear of
                    watching the upper powder charge explode in my face because I did
                    something wrong.

                    Firearms/black powder weapons are prohibited for SCA use. What I
                    believe Jim meant was that percussion cap technology did not exist
                    during SCA period.

                    You want to shoot at non-SCA events, go for it, as long as you are
                    complying with their rules.

                    I got to play with some 18th century flintlocks once, including a
                    Brown Bess, which is like cradling a freaking cannon in your arms. A
                    matchlock is a lot slower and safer. I also periodically go out with
                    an English Civil War group.

                    Flintlocks and matchlocks require that powder be charged into the
                    priming pan. This ignited by the application of slow match to the
                    touch hole or by the flint striking a spark. Both ignite relatively
                    slowly compared to modern gunpowder. Both are subject to the
                    occasional hangfire. I had two hangfires with the Bess. I'd done
                    everything correctly, according to my instructor. He'd watched
                    everything I'd done. It fired on the third try with an extra shot of
                    powder in the pan. Safely.

                    If you don't learn how to fire it safely, you have no business with
                    any sort of firearm, siege weapon, bow/arrow, slingshot. Period. The End.

                  • Horatius at the Bridge
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 17, 2008
                      I understand that firearms of any type are prohibited at SCA events. I was simply looking for a new experience. I've fired many modern and pre-modern firearms. The design of the Teppo was so unique that I was interested in firing one simoly out of curiousity. Thats all.

                      And my concern with using flintlock and matchlock weapons stems from watching demonstrations of them and seeing uncontrolled detonations of the fine powder in the firing pans. I'd really like to avoid such things. Computers are alot like Old Testament gods; a lot of rules and absolutely no mercy. -- Joseph Campbell

                      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.comFrom: wodeford@...: Sun, 18 May 2008 04:11:13 +0000Subject: [SCA-JML] Re: Teppo

                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Horatius at the Bridge<horatius314@...> wrote:>> > RBG= Rubber Band Gun. Well, technically, they shot a length ofsurgical tubing. Not really attempting to be period, they were just fun.> > As for using something other than matchlock, I just have a fear ofwatching the upper powder charge explode in my face because I didsomething wrong.Firearms/black powder weapons are prohibited for SCA use. What Ibelieve Jim meant was that percussion cap technology did not existduring SCA period. You want to shoot at non-SCA events, go for it, as long as you arecomplying with their rules. I got to play with some 18th century flintlocks once, including aBrown Bess, which is like cradling a freaking cannon in your arms. Amatchlock is a lot slower and safer. I also periodically go out withan English Civil War group. Flintlocks and matchlocks require that powder be charged into thepriming pan. This ignited by the application of slow match to thetouch hole or by the flint striking a spark. Both ignite relativelyslowly compared to modern gunpowder. Both are subject to theoccasional hangfire. I had two hangfires with the Bess. I'd doneeverything correctly, according to my instructor. He'd watchedeverything I'd done. It fired on the third try with an extra shot ofpowder in the pan. Safely. If you don't learn how to fire it safely, you have no business withany sort of firearm, siege weapon, bow/arrow, slingshot. Period. The End. Saionji no HanaeWest Kingdom

                    • ninjetterah
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 18, 2008
                        Here's a 13x13 go board:
                        http://www.dfki.uni-kl.de/~grimnes/2007/03/goboard/13x13_a3.pdf
                        and here's a 19x19 go board:
                        http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/Blank_Go_board.png
                        awws I can't find a black and white one. I guess you could set it to
                        print greyscale.. I have a 19x19 printed out go board but I can't
                        find the site anymore. That's annoying. I'm going to keep looking
                        for it though. The black and white one I have is printed out on 4
                        pages and taped together.

                        Here's an awesome site with printable tsumego problem books. Around
                        800 tsumego problems for different difficulty levels. Do you play on
                        KGS? I do off and on, I'm RahRah on there. Also, there is
                        http://www.dragongoserver.com it's a turn-based go website Rah on that
                        one. ^.^ Umm. Sorry I couldn't be much more help. This is actually
                        my first time posting on here. Good luck^.^

                        タカコ
                        (for now. till I learn the Kanji for it.)
                      • James Eckman
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 18, 2008
                          > RBG= Rubber Band Gun.

                          Ah.... That would be fun...
                          > Posted by: "wodeford"

                          > Firearms/black powder weapons are prohibited for SCA use.

                          I didn't know that. No demos???

                          > What I believe Jim meant was that percussion cap technology did not
                          > exist during SCA period.

                          Exactly.

                          > If you don't learn how to fire it safely, you have no business with
                          > any sort of firearm, siege weapon, bow/arrow, slingshot. Period. The End.

                          I cannot agree more. Find someone to train with if you aren't familiar
                          with black powder muzzleloaders. If you want an RBG, it would be trivial
                          to make. Water pipe, brass plate, etc would make a good model. Just make
                          sure you make the barrel non functional so some idiot doesn't try to
                          shoot it.

                          Jim