Looking for Pennsic SCA group...

  • Arpus
    Message 1 of 4 , May 12, 2008
      I'm trying to find an Japanese persona SCA/Pennsic group that has an
      encampment at Pennsic. Can anyone here help me out.

      Thanks in advance!
      Message 2 of 4 , May 12, 2008

        > I'm trying to find an Japanese persona SCA/Pennsic group that has an
        > encampment at Pennsic. Can anyone here help me out.

        There are actually a couple of more or less Japanese encampments at
        Pennsic, However I don't believe that any of them are "open camping".
        Generally, you need to meet sfolks or otherwise be "known" to the
        encampment before you can camp with one of the organized encampments.
        However, you should definitely visit all such encampments at Pennsic.
        Clan Yama Kaminari is in E03 behind Dave Cooper's house near check-
        in. There is another encampment down on Willow Point next to Cooper's
        Lake. If you want to explore Clan Yama Kaminari, I suggest visiting
        the clan web page. You might also try chatting up Saiaiko gozen the
        Shugo's social secretary.

      • shibari
        Message 3 of 4 , May 12, 2008
          Thank you! Clan Yama Kaminari is the encampment I was thinking of.
          Last year was my first Pennsic & I was camped in E01. I walked by their
          encampment almost daily. Never stopped though because I discovered the
          Japanese persona later, and noone in my group was interested. *sad* I
          will admit that my knowledge in Japanese culture and history is at a
          beginner level at best.

          My current camp options have recently started to, well, show signs of
          falling apart (for lack of a better description). The original larger
          group has split several ways creating very small camps. Money shortages
          are making the few camps that I do know of, wishy-washy on whether or
          not they will even make it to Pennsic. I am faced now with committing
          to a camp that may not exist, camping in an encampment that doesn't
          offer much, or camping in singles where I worry more about the security
          of our belongings. I'm looking at my options.

          I understand the need to meet people before allowing them to camp with
          them. As someone who is going to Pennsic for the second time ever and
          bringing a girl who is a Pennsic virgin, I would appreciate any
          additional advice anyone can give me. Last year I took a real interest
          in the Japanese garb / persona. Actually purchased quite a bit from a
          vendor there. Since I am seeking out a new Pennsic home, though I would
          at least pursue a Japanese encampment as an option. I have plans to
          build a 16' yurt though... not sure how well that would fit the
          Japanese theme. LOL

          I will try to contact the people and find the websites you have
          mentioned. Thank you for the fast reply.
          -Arpus

          Message 4 of 4 , May 12, 2008
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, shibari <shibari@...> wrote:
            > will admit that my knowledge in Japanese culture and history is at a
            > beginner level at best.
            and Files sections. There's a lot of information there that you may
            find useful.

            > I will try to contact the people and find the websites you have
            > mentioned.

            I don't know if the Tengusanji folks on Willow Point have one, but CYK
            is at http://www.yamakaminari.com

            Be sure to check the class schedule at Pennsic - a number of classes
            on Japanese culture are held at Yama Kaminari's camp.

            Hope this is helpful,