Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Re: book on Japanese Calligraphy

    Message 1 of 21 , May 10 3:32 AM

      >> Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir"
      >>
      >> Greetings from Solveig! I can not resist giving a book
      >> recommendation:
      >> Sorry, I have to wait till I get back to my office to get this one.
      >>
      >> Title: 標準篆刻篆書字典
      >> Title: 篆刻にしたしむ本 牛窪 梧十
      >
      > Does this mean you are ordering them?

      No. It means that I own them. I have been cataloging my personal
      library with Bookpedia. I wasn't quite able to find a calligraphy
      book which I have in my office. I may not have cataloged it yet. The
      two books have to do with inkan carving. I fell asleep shortly after
      getting back to town last night.

      Message 2 of 21 , May 10 6:37 AM

        Greetings from Solveig! Here are some Japanese calligraphy books:

        Title: 角川書道字典
        Edition: 219版;〔縮約・携帯版〕
        Publisher: 角川書店
        Release: Jan 1977
        Pages: 1406
        ISBN: 4040203003
        Format: -

        Title: 楷行草 筆順・字体字典
        Edition: 第二版
        Publisher: 三省堂
        Release: Dec 2002
        Pages: 748
        ISBN: 4385150494
        Format: 単行本

        Title: 書道・創作入門コツのコツ―好きな言葉や詩
        を書く
        Author: 石飛 博光
        Publisher: 日本放送出版協会
        Release: May 2003
        Pages: 111
        ISBN: 9784141878889
        Format: 単行本

        Title: 漢字筆順ハンドブック―正しくきれいな字を
        書くための
        Author: 江守 賢治
        Publisher: 三省堂
        Release: Feb 1982
        Pages: 244
        ISBN: 9784385200743
        Format: 単行本

      • James Eckman
        Message 3 of 21 , May 10 3:12 PM
          > Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir"
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig! Here are some Japanese calligraphy books:
          Cool!!! Bookpedia looks interesting as well. Looks like a serious
          library management package. Do you like it?

          Jim Eckman
          Who has way too many books.
          http://home.comcast.net/%7Eronin_engineer/books.jpg
          Not all of them by any means....
          Message 4 of 21 , May 10 8:01 PM

            > Cool!!! Bookpedia looks interesting as well. Looks like a serious
            > library management package. Do you like it?

            It's not bad especially considering the price. You can enter ISBN
            data using either a scanner or a web camera. Annoying things include
            the mechanism for entering downloading "advanced information" such as
            LOC and Dewey numbers. While they have a "cascade" feature for
            initial entry, they have not implemented a "cascade" feature for
            entering "advanced information". Then again, the product is currently
            under active development. Sometimes I like features of the old
            version better than the "improved" features of the new version.
            However, I am still using it and plan to continue using it.

          • karenpendergast64
            Message 5 of 21 , May 12 5:27 PM
              Hello, Mushime --

              Might I suppose that you're looking for beginner's books -- as opposed works that
              document museum collections, exhibition guides, or historical overviews?

              I'm also guessing that you're looking for affordable, readily available texts. There's not
              much point in people listing tomes that are decades old, prohibitively expensive, and
              probably requiring the specialized services of a book importer.

              So, with that in mind, I believe that Christopher J. Earnshaw's 'Sho: Japanese Calligraphy' is
              an excellent introductory work. He provides ample discussions on all aspects of practising
              this elegant art: shodô and its function in social history, its holy sages, the care of
              materials, and many other important aspects. I'm not particularly fond of his 'kaisho' style.
              The many 'o-tehon' [practice sheets] he provides are, well, not in my opinion the nicest.
              Still, he is one of the first Westerners to formally hold one of the top grades of a 'shihan'
              license, so who am I to judge?

              One of the most recent editions (Feb 2008) of NHK's wonderful series 'Shumi yûyû' [Time
              for a Hobby] was entirely dedicated to shodô. It was *fantastic*. Acting as a kind of tele-
              course, you could watch and learn through this programme and its daily lessons. As
              always, 'Shumi yûyû' provides an accompanying textbook for study:

              http://www.e-hon.ne.jp/bec/SA/Detail?
              refShinCode=0100000000000007196820&Action_id=121&Sza_id=C0

              The o-tehon are perfect for learning the basics. Carefully organised lessons develop
              through detailed depictions of brush-point control into analysis of space and balance in a
              scroll. Since this programme is very popular, you should be able to find it (without special
              ordering) at any North American bookshop that caters to a Japanese readership.

              Obviously, there is an incredible selection of books on these topics. But the two above are
              exemplary works for introductory study.

              Happy scripting.
              Message 6 of 21 , May 13 6:55 PM

                > Since this programme is very popular, you should be able to find it
                > (without special
                > ordering) at any North American bookshop that caters to a Japanese
                > readership.
                Having purchased books from such stores in the past and purchased
                books from
                Amazon, I can say that Amazon was (last time I looked) rather more
                economical than
                patronizing a North-American Japanese book store. Alas, Amazon has
                discontinued
                SAL shipments and will now only ship via Air Express companies which
                are rather
                more expensive. So, maybe I will have to do some comparison shopping
                between
                kinocuniya.co.jp and amazon.co.,jp. Setting up my Kinokuniya account
                was rather
                more difficult than setting up my Amazon account, but Kinokuniya may
                be easier now.

              • Horatius at the Bridge
                Message 7 of 21 , May 15 10:57 PM
                  Does anyone know of someone making Teppo RBGs? There used to be a gentleman that did them several years ago, but I've heard he passed away.

                  Alternatively, if theres someone that makes functioning black powder teppo (preferably percussion cap. Matchlock and flintlock get a bit messy.) I'd love to find them as well.

                  Thank you in advance.Computers are alot like Old Testament gods; a lot of rules and absolutely no mercy. -- Joseph Campbell
                • James Eckman
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 16 4:23 PM
                    > "Horatius at the Bridge"
                    At least it's not "A dark and stormy night" ;)

                    > Does anyone know of someone making Teppo RBGs?

                    What's an RBGs?

                    > Alternatively, if theres someone that makes functioning black powder teppo

                    There are a done of repro dealers selling more modern stuff, worse comes
                    to worse you could buy a barrel and build one:
                    http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~wew/Tattershall-tb/ml.html
                    http://www.luckhardt.com/capgray13.html

                    etc...

                    Also if it doesn't use a matchlock, it's not for SCA use! Everything
                    else is post period.

                    Jim
                  • Diane Taylor
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 16 5:11 PM
                      Is there a website that has printable Go Boards?

                      I would like to actually put it on fabric so it will fit into a pouch.

                      Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

                      Message 10 of 21 , May 16 7:35 PM
                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Diane Taylor <qara0@...> wrote:

                        > Is there a website that has printable Go Boards?

                        It's grid 18 squares by 18 squares.
                        http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Go_game_example.png

                        Try this - http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
                        Really.

                      • Horatius at the Bridge
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 17 10:49 AM
                          RBG= Rubber Band Gun. Well, technically, they shot a length of surgical tubing. Not really attempting to be period, they were just fun.

                          As for using something other than matchlock, I just have a fear of watching the upper powder charge explode in my face because I did something wrong. While I would like to shoot a period weapon, I much prefer the safety and reliability of a percussion cap weapon manufactured from modern steel and fired with modern black or smokeless powder. Yes, that might make me a heretic, but I like to keep all my limbs and pointy bits attached. Computers are alot like Old Testament gods; a lot of rules and absolutely no mercy. -- Joseph Campbell

                          To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.comFrom: ronin_engineer@...: Fri, 16 May 2008 16:23:28 -0700Subject: [SCA-JML] Re: Teppo

                          Message 12 of 21 , May 17 9:11 PM
                            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Horatius at the Bridge
                            <horatius314@...> wrote:

                            > RBG= Rubber Band Gun. Well, technically, they shot a length of
                            surgical tubing. Not really attempting to be period, they were just fun.

                            > As for using something other than matchlock, I just have a fear of
                            watching the upper powder charge explode in my face because I did
                            something wrong.

                            Firearms/black powder weapons are prohibited for SCA use. What I
                            believe Jim meant was that percussion cap technology did not exist
                            during SCA period.

                            You want to shoot at non-SCA events, go for it, as long as you are
                            complying with their rules.

                            I got to play with some 18th century flintlocks once, including a
                            Brown Bess, which is like cradling a freaking cannon in your arms. A
                            matchlock is a lot slower and safer. I also periodically go out with
                            an English Civil War group.

                            Flintlocks and matchlocks require that powder be charged into the
                            priming pan. This ignited by the application of slow match to the
                            touch hole or by the flint striking a spark. Both ignite relatively
                            slowly compared to modern gunpowder. Both are subject to the
                            occasional hangfire. I had two hangfires with the Bess. I'd done
                            everything correctly, according to my instructor. He'd watched
                            everything I'd done. It fired on the third try with an extra shot of
                            powder in the pan. Safely.

                            If you don't learn how to fire it safely, you have no business with
                            any sort of firearm, siege weapon, bow/arrow, slingshot. Period. The End.

                          • Horatius at the Bridge
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 17 11:07 PM
                              I understand that firearms of any type are prohibited at SCA events. I was simply looking for a new experience. I've fired many modern and pre-modern firearms. The design of the Teppo was so unique that I was interested in firing one simoly out of curiousity. Thats all.

                              And my concern with using flintlock and matchlock weapons stems from watching demonstrations of them and seeing uncontrolled detonations of the fine powder in the firing pans. I'd really like to avoid such things. Computers are alot like Old Testament gods; a lot of rules and absolutely no mercy. -- Joseph Campbell

                              To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.comFrom: wodeford@...: Sun, 18 May 2008 04:11:13 +0000Subject: [SCA-JML] Re: Teppo

                              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Horatius at the Bridge<horatius314@...> wrote:>> > RBG= Rubber Band Gun. Well, technically, they shot a length ofsurgical tubing. Not really attempting to be period, they were just fun.> > As for using something other than matchlock, I just have a fear ofwatching the upper powder charge explode in my face because I didsomething wrong.Firearms/black powder weapons are prohibited for SCA use. What Ibelieve Jim meant was that percussion cap technology did not existduring SCA period. You want to shoot at non-SCA events, go for it, as long as you arecomplying with their rules. I got to play with some 18th century flintlocks once, including aBrown Bess, which is like cradling a freaking cannon in your arms. Amatchlock is a lot slower and safer. I also periodically go out withan English Civil War group. Flintlocks and matchlocks require that powder be charged into thepriming pan. This ignited by the application of slow match to thetouch hole or by the flint striking a spark. Both ignite relativelyslowly compared to modern gunpowder. Both are subject to theoccasional hangfire. I had two hangfires with the Bess. I'd doneeverything correctly, according to my instructor. He'd watchedeverything I'd done. It fired on the third try with an extra shot ofpowder in the pan. Safely. If you don't learn how to fire it safely, you have no business withany sort of firearm, siege weapon, bow/arrow, slingshot. Period. The End. Saionji no HanaeWest Kingdom

                            • ninjetterah
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 18 10:05 AM
                                Here's a 13x13 go board:
                                http://www.dfki.uni-kl.de/~grimnes/2007/03/goboard/13x13_a3.pdf
                                and here's a 19x19 go board:
                                http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/Blank_Go_board.png
                                awws I can't find a black and white one. I guess you could set it to
                                print greyscale.. I have a 19x19 printed out go board but I can't
                                find the site anymore. That's annoying. I'm going to keep looking
                                for it though. The black and white one I have is printed out on 4
                                pages and taped together.

                                Here's an awesome site with printable tsumego problem books. Around
                                800 tsumego problems for different difficulty levels. Do you play on
                                KGS? I do off and on, I'm RahRah on there. Also, there is
                                http://www.dragongoserver.com it's a turn-based go website Rah on that
                                one. ^.^ Umm. Sorry I couldn't be much more help. This is actually
                                my first time posting on here. Good luck^.^

                                タカコ
                                (for now. till I learn the Kanji for it.)
                              • James Eckman
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 18 2:06 PM
                                  > RBG= Rubber Band Gun.

                                  Ah.... That would be fun...
                                  > Posted by: "wodeford"

                                  > Firearms/black powder weapons are prohibited for SCA use.

                                  I didn't know that. No demos???

                                  > What I believe Jim meant was that percussion cap technology did not
                                  > exist during SCA period.

                                  Exactly.

                                  > If you don't learn how to fire it safely, you have no business with
                                  > any sort of firearm, siege weapon, bow/arrow, slingshot. Period. The End.

                                  I cannot agree more. Find someone to train with if you aren't familiar
                                  with black powder muzzleloaders. If you want an RBG, it would be trivial
                                  to make. Water pipe, brass plate, etc would make a good model. Just make
                                  sure you make the barrel non functional so some idiot doesn't try to
                                  shoot it.

                                  Jim