Re: Re: book on Japanese Calligraphy

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 21 , May 9 8:20 PM
      > Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir"
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig! I can not resist giving a book recommendation:
      > Sorry, I have to wait till I get back to my office to get this one.
      >
      > Title: 標準篆刻篆書字典
      > Title: 篆刻にしたしむ本 牛窪 梧十

      Does this mean you are ordering them? I'd be interested in what you
      think. I have many of the 二玄社 books in Chinese reprints, these go
      back to the 80's, so 標準篆刻篆書字典 may be available as well. I'm
      going to China again this year, so I will try and hunt it down. At ~$4
      each, they are well worth it!

      Jim Eckman
      Message 2 of 21 , May 10 3:32 AM

        >> Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir"
        >>
        >> Greetings from Solveig! I can not resist giving a book
        >> recommendation:
        >> Sorry, I have to wait till I get back to my office to get this one.
        >>
        >> Title: 標準篆刻篆書字典
        >> Title: 篆刻にしたしむ本 牛窪 梧十
        >
        > Does this mean you are ordering them?

        No. It means that I own them. I have been cataloging my personal
        library with Bookpedia. I wasn't quite able to find a calligraphy
        book which I have in my office. I may not have cataloged it yet. The
        two books have to do with inkan carving. I fell asleep shortly after
        getting back to town last night.

        Message 3 of 21 , May 10 6:37 AM

          Greetings from Solveig! Here are some Japanese calligraphy books:

          Title: 角川書道字典
          Edition: 219版;〔縮約・携帯版〕
          Publisher: 角川書店
          Release: Jan 1977
          Pages: 1406
          ISBN: 4040203003
          Format: -

          Title: 楷行草 筆順・字体字典
          Edition: 第二版
          Publisher: 三省堂
          Release: Dec 2002
          Pages: 748
          ISBN: 4385150494
          Format: 単行本

          Title: 書道・創作入門コツのコツ―好きな言葉や詩
          を書く
          Author: 石飛 博光
          Publisher: 日本放送出版協会
          Release: May 2003
          Pages: 111
          ISBN: 9784141878889
          Format: 単行本

          Title: 漢字筆順ハンドブック―正しくきれいな字を
          書くための
          Author: 江守 賢治
          Publisher: 三省堂
          Release: Feb 1982
          Pages: 244
          ISBN: 9784385200743
          Format: 単行本

        • James Eckman
          Message 4 of 21 , May 10 3:12 PM
            > Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir"
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig! Here are some Japanese calligraphy books:
            Cool!!! Bookpedia looks interesting as well. Looks like a serious
            library management package. Do you like it?

            Jim Eckman
            Who has way too many books.
            http://home.comcast.net/%7Eronin_engineer/books.jpg
            Not all of them by any means....
            Message 5 of 21 , May 10 8:01 PM

              > Cool!!! Bookpedia looks interesting as well. Looks like a serious
              > library management package. Do you like it?

              It's not bad especially considering the price. You can enter ISBN
              data using either a scanner or a web camera. Annoying things include
              the mechanism for entering downloading "advanced information" such as
              LOC and Dewey numbers. While they have a "cascade" feature for
              initial entry, they have not implemented a "cascade" feature for
              entering "advanced information". Then again, the product is currently
              under active development. Sometimes I like features of the old
              version better than the "improved" features of the new version.
              However, I am still using it and plan to continue using it.

            • karenpendergast64
              Message 6 of 21 , May 12 5:27 PM
                Hello, Mushime --

                Might I suppose that you're looking for beginner's books -- as opposed works that
                document museum collections, exhibition guides, or historical overviews?

                I'm also guessing that you're looking for affordable, readily available texts. There's not
                much point in people listing tomes that are decades old, prohibitively expensive, and
                probably requiring the specialized services of a book importer.

                So, with that in mind, I believe that Christopher J. Earnshaw's 'Sho: Japanese Calligraphy' is
                an excellent introductory work. He provides ample discussions on all aspects of practising
                this elegant art: shodô and its function in social history, its holy sages, the care of
                materials, and many other important aspects. I'm not particularly fond of his 'kaisho' style.
                The many 'o-tehon' [practice sheets] he provides are, well, not in my opinion the nicest.
                Still, he is one of the first Westerners to formally hold one of the top grades of a 'shihan'
                license, so who am I to judge?

                One of the most recent editions (Feb 2008) of NHK's wonderful series 'Shumi yûyû' [Time
                for a Hobby] was entirely dedicated to shodô. It was *fantastic*. Acting as a kind of tele-
                course, you could watch and learn through this programme and its daily lessons. As
                always, 'Shumi yûyû' provides an accompanying textbook for study:

                http://www.e-hon.ne.jp/bec/SA/Detail?
                refShinCode=0100000000000007196820&Action_id=121&Sza_id=C0

                The o-tehon are perfect for learning the basics. Carefully organised lessons develop
                through detailed depictions of brush-point control into analysis of space and balance in a
                scroll. Since this programme is very popular, you should be able to find it (without special
                ordering) at any North American bookshop that caters to a Japanese readership.

                Obviously, there is an incredible selection of books on these topics. But the two above are
                exemplary works for introductory study.

                Happy scripting.
                Message 7 of 21 , May 13 6:55 PM

                  > Since this programme is very popular, you should be able to find it
                  > (without special
                  > ordering) at any North American bookshop that caters to a Japanese
                  > readership.
                  Having purchased books from such stores in the past and purchased
                  books from
                  Amazon, I can say that Amazon was (last time I looked) rather more
                  economical than
                  patronizing a North-American Japanese book store. Alas, Amazon has
                  discontinued
                  SAL shipments and will now only ship via Air Express companies which
                  are rather
                  more expensive. So, maybe I will have to do some comparison shopping
                  between
                  kinocuniya.co.jp and amazon.co.,jp. Setting up my Kinokuniya account
                  was rather
                  more difficult than setting up my Amazon account, but Kinokuniya may
                  be easier now.

                • Horatius at the Bridge
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 15 10:57 PM
                    Does anyone know of someone making Teppo RBGs? There used to be a gentleman that did them several years ago, but I've heard he passed away.

                    Alternatively, if theres someone that makes functioning black powder teppo (preferably percussion cap. Matchlock and flintlock get a bit messy.) I'd love to find them as well.

                    Thank you in advance.Computers are alot like Old Testament gods; a lot of rules and absolutely no mercy. -- Joseph Campbell
                  • James Eckman
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 16 4:23 PM
                      > "Horatius at the Bridge"
                      At least it's not "A dark and stormy night" ;)

                      > Does anyone know of someone making Teppo RBGs?

                      What's an RBGs?

                      > Alternatively, if theres someone that makes functioning black powder teppo

                      There are a done of repro dealers selling more modern stuff, worse comes
                      to worse you could buy a barrel and build one:
                      http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~wew/Tattershall-tb/ml.html
                      http://www.luckhardt.com/capgray13.html

                      etc...

                      Also if it doesn't use a matchlock, it's not for SCA use! Everything
                      else is post period.

                      Jim
                    • Diane Taylor
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 16 5:11 PM
                        Is there a website that has printable Go Boards?

                        I would like to actually put it on fabric so it will fit into a pouch.

                        Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

                        Message 11 of 21 , May 16 7:35 PM
                          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Diane Taylor <qara0@...> wrote:

                          > Is there a website that has printable Go Boards?

                          It's grid 18 squares by 18 squares.
                          http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Go_game_example.png

                          Try this - http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
                          Really.

                        • Horatius at the Bridge
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 17 10:49 AM
                            RBG= Rubber Band Gun. Well, technically, they shot a length of surgical tubing. Not really attempting to be period, they were just fun.

                            As for using something other than matchlock, I just have a fear of watching the upper powder charge explode in my face because I did something wrong. While I would like to shoot a period weapon, I much prefer the safety and reliability of a percussion cap weapon manufactured from modern steel and fired with modern black or smokeless powder. Yes, that might make me a heretic, but I like to keep all my limbs and pointy bits attached. Computers are alot like Old Testament gods; a lot of rules and absolutely no mercy. -- Joseph Campbell

                            To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.comFrom: ronin_engineer@...: Fri, 16 May 2008 16:23:28 -0700Subject: [SCA-JML] Re: Teppo

                            Message 13 of 21 , May 17 9:11 PM
                              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Horatius at the Bridge
                              <horatius314@...> wrote:

                              > RBG= Rubber Band Gun. Well, technically, they shot a length of
                              surgical tubing. Not really attempting to be period, they were just fun.

                              > As for using something other than matchlock, I just have a fear of
                              watching the upper powder charge explode in my face because I did
                              something wrong.

                              Firearms/black powder weapons are prohibited for SCA use. What I
                              believe Jim meant was that percussion cap technology did not exist
                              during SCA period.

                              You want to shoot at non-SCA events, go for it, as long as you are
                              complying with their rules.

                              I got to play with some 18th century flintlocks once, including a
                              Brown Bess, which is like cradling a freaking cannon in your arms. A
                              matchlock is a lot slower and safer. I also periodically go out with
                              an English Civil War group.

                              Flintlocks and matchlocks require that powder be charged into the
                              priming pan. This ignited by the application of slow match to the
                              touch hole or by the flint striking a spark. Both ignite relatively
                              slowly compared to modern gunpowder. Both are subject to the
                              occasional hangfire. I had two hangfires with the Bess. I'd done
                              everything correctly, according to my instructor. He'd watched
                              everything I'd done. It fired on the third try with an extra shot of
                              powder in the pan. Safely.

                              If you don't learn how to fire it safely, you have no business with
                              any sort of firearm, siege weapon, bow/arrow, slingshot. Period. The End.

                            • Horatius at the Bridge
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 17 11:07 PM
                                I understand that firearms of any type are prohibited at SCA events. I was simply looking for a new experience. I've fired many modern and pre-modern firearms. The design of the Teppo was so unique that I was interested in firing one simoly out of curiousity. Thats all.

                                And my concern with using flintlock and matchlock weapons stems from watching demonstrations of them and seeing uncontrolled detonations of the fine powder in the firing pans. I'd really like to avoid such things. Computers are alot like Old Testament gods; a lot of rules and absolutely no mercy. -- Joseph Campbell

                                To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.comFrom: wodeford@...: Sun, 18 May 2008 04:11:13 +0000Subject: [SCA-JML] Re: Teppo

                                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Horatius at the Bridge<horatius314@...> wrote:>> > RBG= Rubber Band Gun. Well, technically, they shot a length ofsurgical tubing. Not really attempting to be period, they were just fun.> > As for using something other than matchlock, I just have a fear ofwatching the upper powder charge explode in my face because I didsomething wrong.Firearms/black powder weapons are prohibited for SCA use. What Ibelieve Jim meant was that percussion cap technology did not existduring SCA period. You want to shoot at non-SCA events, go for it, as long as you arecomplying with their rules. I got to play with some 18th century flintlocks once, including aBrown Bess, which is like cradling a freaking cannon in your arms. Amatchlock is a lot slower and safer. I also periodically go out withan English Civil War group. Flintlocks and matchlocks require that powder be charged into thepriming pan. This ignited by the application of slow match to thetouch hole or by the flint striking a spark. Both ignite relativelyslowly compared to modern gunpowder. Both are subject to theoccasional hangfire. I had two hangfires with the Bess. I'd doneeverything correctly, according to my instructor. He'd watchedeverything I'd done. It fired on the third try with an extra shot ofpowder in the pan. Safely. If you don't learn how to fire it safely, you have no business withany sort of firearm, siege weapon, bow/arrow, slingshot. Period. The End. Saionji no HanaeWest Kingdom

                              • ninjetterah
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 18 10:05 AM
                                  Here's a 13x13 go board:
                                  http://www.dfki.uni-kl.de/~grimnes/2007/03/goboard/13x13_a3.pdf
                                  and here's a 19x19 go board:
                                  http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/Blank_Go_board.png
                                  awws I can't find a black and white one. I guess you could set it to
                                  print greyscale.. I have a 19x19 printed out go board but I can't
                                  find the site anymore. That's annoying. I'm going to keep looking
                                  for it though. The black and white one I have is printed out on 4
                                  pages and taped together.

                                  Here's an awesome site with printable tsumego problem books. Around
                                  800 tsumego problems for different difficulty levels. Do you play on
                                  KGS? I do off and on, I'm RahRah on there. Also, there is
                                  http://www.dragongoserver.com it's a turn-based go website Rah on that
                                  one. ^.^ Umm. Sorry I couldn't be much more help. This is actually
                                  my first time posting on here. Good luck^.^

                                  タカコ
                                  (for now. till I learn the Kanji for it.)
                                • James Eckman
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 18 2:06 PM
                                    > RBG= Rubber Band Gun.

                                    Ah.... That would be fun...
                                    > Posted by: "wodeford"

                                    > Firearms/black powder weapons are prohibited for SCA use.

                                    I didn't know that. No demos???

                                    > What I believe Jim meant was that percussion cap technology did not
                                    > exist during SCA period.

                                    Exactly.

                                    > If you don't learn how to fire it safely, you have no business with
                                    > any sort of firearm, siege weapon, bow/arrow, slingshot. Period. The End.

                                    I cannot agree more. Find someone to train with if you aren't familiar
                                    with black powder muzzleloaders. If you want an RBG, it would be trivial
                                    to make. Water pipe, brass plate, etc would make a good model. Just make
                                    sure you make the barrel non functional so some idiot doesn't try to
                                    shoot it.

                                    Jim