Re: [SCA-JML] book on Japanese Calligraphy

  • Catie F
    Message 1 of 21 , May 9 7:35 AM
      I know of a website that shows the stroke order of the kana and a few kanji. Each one has a short animation with a little brush "painting" the character. http://members.aol.com/writejapan/#kanji I do not know if it'd be any help to you.

      Kanamori no Tatsume

      Message 2 of 21 , May 9 8:20 PM
        > Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir"
        >
        > Greetings from Solveig! I can not resist giving a book recommendation:
        > Sorry, I have to wait till I get back to my office to get this one.
        >
        > Title: 標準篆刻篆書字典
        > Title: 篆刻にしたしむ本 牛窪 梧十

        Does this mean you are ordering them? I'd be interested in what you
        think. I have many of the 二玄社 books in Chinese reprints, these go
        back to the 80's, so 標準篆刻篆書字典 may be available as well. I'm
        going to China again this year, so I will try and hunt it down. At ~$4
        each, they are well worth it!

        Jim Eckman
        Message 3 of 21 , May 10 3:32 AM

          >> Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir"
          >>
          >> Greetings from Solveig! I can not resist giving a book
          >> recommendation:
          >> Sorry, I have to wait till I get back to my office to get this one.
          >>
          >> Title: 標準篆刻篆書字典
          >> Title: 篆刻にしたしむ本 牛窪 梧十
          >
          > Does this mean you are ordering them?

          No. It means that I own them. I have been cataloging my personal
          library with Bookpedia. I wasn't quite able to find a calligraphy
          book which I have in my office. I may not have cataloged it yet. The
          two books have to do with inkan carving. I fell asleep shortly after
          getting back to town last night.

          Message 4 of 21 , May 10 6:37 AM
            Noble Cousins!

            Greetings from Solveig! Here are some Japanese calligraphy books:

            Title: 角川書道字典
            Edition: 219版;〔縮約・携帯版〕
            Publisher: 角川書店
            Release: Jan 1977
            Pages: 1406
            ISBN: 4040203003
            Format: -

            Title: 楷行草 筆順・字体字典
            Edition: 第二版
            Publisher: 三省堂
            Release: Dec 2002
            Pages: 748
            ISBN: 4385150494
            Format: 単行本

            Title: 書道・創作入門コツのコツ―好きな言葉や詩
            を書く
            Author: 石飛 博光
            Publisher: 日本放送出版協会
            Release: May 2003
            Pages: 111
            ISBN: 9784141878889
            Format: 単行本

            Title: 漢字筆順ハンドブック―正しくきれいな字を
            書くための
            Author: 江守 賢治
            Publisher: 三省堂
            Release: Feb 1982
            Pages: 244
            ISBN: 9784385200743
            Format: 単行本

          • James Eckman
            Message 5 of 21 , May 10 3:12 PM
              > Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir"
              >
              > Greetings from Solveig! Here are some Japanese calligraphy books:
              Cool!!! Bookpedia looks interesting as well. Looks like a serious
              library management package. Do you like it?

              Jim Eckman
              Who has way too many books.
              http://home.comcast.net/%7Eronin_engineer/books.jpg
              Not all of them by any means....
              Message 6 of 21 , May 10 8:01 PM

                > Cool!!! Bookpedia looks interesting as well. Looks like a serious
                > library management package. Do you like it?

                It's not bad especially considering the price. You can enter ISBN
                data using either a scanner or a web camera. Annoying things include
                the mechanism for entering downloading "advanced information" such as
                LOC and Dewey numbers. While they have a "cascade" feature for
                initial entry, they have not implemented a "cascade" feature for
                entering "advanced information". Then again, the product is currently
                under active development. Sometimes I like features of the old
                version better than the "improved" features of the new version.
                However, I am still using it and plan to continue using it.

              • karenpendergast64
                Message 7 of 21 , May 12 5:27 PM
                  Hello, Mushime --

                  Might I suppose that you're looking for beginner's books -- as opposed works that
                  document museum collections, exhibition guides, or historical overviews?

                  I'm also guessing that you're looking for affordable, readily available texts. There's not
                  much point in people listing tomes that are decades old, prohibitively expensive, and
                  probably requiring the specialized services of a book importer.

                  So, with that in mind, I believe that Christopher J. Earnshaw's 'Sho: Japanese Calligraphy' is
                  an excellent introductory work. He provides ample discussions on all aspects of practising
                  this elegant art: shodô and its function in social history, its holy sages, the care of
                  materials, and many other important aspects. I'm not particularly fond of his 'kaisho' style.
                  The many 'o-tehon' [practice sheets] he provides are, well, not in my opinion the nicest.
                  Still, he is one of the first Westerners to formally hold one of the top grades of a 'shihan'
                  license, so who am I to judge?

                  One of the most recent editions (Feb 2008) of NHK's wonderful series 'Shumi yûyû' [Time
                  for a Hobby] was entirely dedicated to shodô. It was *fantastic*. Acting as a kind of tele-
                  course, you could watch and learn through this programme and its daily lessons. As
                  always, 'Shumi yûyû' provides an accompanying textbook for study:

                  http://www.e-hon.ne.jp/bec/SA/Detail?
                  refShinCode=0100000000000007196820&Action_id=121&Sza_id=C0

                  The o-tehon are perfect for learning the basics. Carefully organised lessons develop
                  through detailed depictions of brush-point control into analysis of space and balance in a
                  scroll. Since this programme is very popular, you should be able to find it (without special
                  ordering) at any North American bookshop that caters to a Japanese readership.

                  Obviously, there is an incredible selection of books on these topics. But the two above are
                  exemplary works for introductory study.

                  Happy scripting.
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 13 6:55 PM

                    > Since this programme is very popular, you should be able to find it
                    > (without special
                    > ordering) at any North American bookshop that caters to a Japanese
                    > readership.
                    Having purchased books from such stores in the past and purchased
                    books from
                    Amazon, I can say that Amazon was (last time I looked) rather more
                    economical than
                    patronizing a North-American Japanese book store. Alas, Amazon has
                    discontinued
                    SAL shipments and will now only ship via Air Express companies which
                    are rather
                    more expensive. So, maybe I will have to do some comparison shopping
                    between
                    kinocuniya.co.jp and amazon.co.,jp. Setting up my Kinokuniya account
                    was rather
                    more difficult than setting up my Amazon account, but Kinokuniya may
                    be easier now.

                  • Horatius at the Bridge
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 15 10:57 PM
                      Does anyone know of someone making Teppo RBGs? There used to be a gentleman that did them several years ago, but I've heard he passed away.

                      Alternatively, if theres someone that makes functioning black powder teppo (preferably percussion cap. Matchlock and flintlock get a bit messy.) I'd love to find them as well.

                      Thank you in advance.Computers are alot like Old Testament gods; a lot of rules and absolutely no mercy. -- Joseph Campbell
                    • James Eckman
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 16 4:23 PM
                        > "Horatius at the Bridge"
                        At least it's not "A dark and stormy night" ;)

                        > Does anyone know of someone making Teppo RBGs?

                        What's an RBGs?

                        > Alternatively, if theres someone that makes functioning black powder teppo

                        There are a done of repro dealers selling more modern stuff, worse comes
                        to worse you could buy a barrel and build one:
                        http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~wew/Tattershall-tb/ml.html
                        http://www.luckhardt.com/capgray13.html

                        etc...

                        Also if it doesn't use a matchlock, it's not for SCA use! Everything
                        else is post period.

                        Jim
                      • Diane Taylor
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 16 5:11 PM
                          Is there a website that has printable Go Boards?

                          I would like to actually put it on fabric so it will fit into a pouch.

                          Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

                          Message 12 of 21 , May 16 7:35 PM
                            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Diane Taylor <qara0@...> wrote:

                            > Is there a website that has printable Go Boards?

                            It's grid 18 squares by 18 squares.
                            http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Go_game_example.png

                            Try this - http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
                            Really.

                          • Horatius at the Bridge
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 17 10:49 AM
                              RBG= Rubber Band Gun. Well, technically, they shot a length of surgical tubing. Not really attempting to be period, they were just fun.

                              As for using something other than matchlock, I just have a fear of watching the upper powder charge explode in my face because I did something wrong. While I would like to shoot a period weapon, I much prefer the safety and reliability of a percussion cap weapon manufactured from modern steel and fired with modern black or smokeless powder. Yes, that might make me a heretic, but I like to keep all my limbs and pointy bits attached. Computers are alot like Old Testament gods; a lot of rules and absolutely no mercy. -- Joseph Campbell

                              To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.comFrom: ronin_engineer@...: Fri, 16 May 2008 16:23:28 -0700Subject: [SCA-JML] Re: Teppo

                              Message 14 of 21 , May 17 9:11 PM
                                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Horatius at the Bridge
                                <horatius314@...> wrote:

                                > RBG= Rubber Band Gun. Well, technically, they shot a length of
                                surgical tubing. Not really attempting to be period, they were just fun.

                                > As for using something other than matchlock, I just have a fear of
                                watching the upper powder charge explode in my face because I did
                                something wrong.

                                Firearms/black powder weapons are prohibited for SCA use. What I
                                believe Jim meant was that percussion cap technology did not exist
                                during SCA period.

                                You want to shoot at non-SCA events, go for it, as long as you are
                                complying with their rules.

                                I got to play with some 18th century flintlocks once, including a
                                Brown Bess, which is like cradling a freaking cannon in your arms. A
                                matchlock is a lot slower and safer. I also periodically go out with
                                an English Civil War group.

                                Flintlocks and matchlocks require that powder be charged into the
                                priming pan. This ignited by the application of slow match to the
                                touch hole or by the flint striking a spark. Both ignite relatively
                                slowly compared to modern gunpowder. Both are subject to the
                                occasional hangfire. I had two hangfires with the Bess. I'd done
                                everything correctly, according to my instructor. He'd watched
                                everything I'd done. It fired on the third try with an extra shot of
                                powder in the pan. Safely.

                                If you don't learn how to fire it safely, you have no business with
                                any sort of firearm, siege weapon, bow/arrow, slingshot. Period. The End.

                              • Horatius at the Bridge
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 17 11:07 PM
                                  I understand that firearms of any type are prohibited at SCA events. I was simply looking for a new experience. I've fired many modern and pre-modern firearms. The design of the Teppo was so unique that I was interested in firing one simoly out of curiousity. Thats all.

                                  And my concern with using flintlock and matchlock weapons stems from watching demonstrations of them and seeing uncontrolled detonations of the fine powder in the firing pans. I'd really like to avoid such things. Computers are alot like Old Testament gods; a lot of rules and absolutely no mercy. -- Joseph Campbell

                                  To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.comFrom: wodeford@...: Sun, 18 May 2008 04:11:13 +0000Subject: [SCA-JML] Re: Teppo

                                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Horatius at the Bridge<horatius314@...> wrote:>> > RBG= Rubber Band Gun. Well, technically, they shot a length ofsurgical tubing. Not really attempting to be period, they were just fun.> > As for using something other than matchlock, I just have a fear ofwatching the upper powder charge explode in my face because I didsomething wrong.Firearms/black powder weapons are prohibited for SCA use. What Ibelieve Jim meant was that percussion cap technology did not existduring SCA period. You want to shoot at non-SCA events, go for it, as long as you arecomplying with their rules. I got to play with some 18th century flintlocks once, including aBrown Bess, which is like cradling a freaking cannon in your arms. Amatchlock is a lot slower and safer. I also periodically go out withan English Civil War group. Flintlocks and matchlocks require that powder be charged into thepriming pan. This ignited by the application of slow match to thetouch hole or by the flint striking a spark. Both ignite relativelyslowly compared to modern gunpowder. Both are subject to theoccasional hangfire. I had two hangfires with the Bess. I'd doneeverything correctly, according to my instructor. He'd watchedeverything I'd done. It fired on the third try with an extra shot ofpowder in the pan. Safely. If you don't learn how to fire it safely, you have no business withany sort of firearm, siege weapon, bow/arrow, slingshot. Period. The End. Saionji no HanaeWest Kingdom

                                • ninjetterah
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 18 10:05 AM
                                    Here's a 13x13 go board:
                                    http://www.dfki.uni-kl.de/~grimnes/2007/03/goboard/13x13_a3.pdf
                                    and here's a 19x19 go board:
                                    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/Blank_Go_board.png
                                    awws I can't find a black and white one. I guess you could set it to
                                    print greyscale.. I have a 19x19 printed out go board but I can't
                                    find the site anymore. That's annoying. I'm going to keep looking
                                    for it though. The black and white one I have is printed out on 4
                                    pages and taped together.

                                    Here's an awesome site with printable tsumego problem books. Around
                                    800 tsumego problems for different difficulty levels. Do you play on
                                    KGS? I do off and on, I'm RahRah on there. Also, there is
                                    http://www.dragongoserver.com it's a turn-based go website Rah on that
                                    one. ^.^ Umm. Sorry I couldn't be much more help. This is actually
                                    my first time posting on here. Good luck^.^

                                    タカコ
                                    (for now. till I learn the Kanji for it.)
                                  • James Eckman
                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 18 2:06 PM
                                      > RBG= Rubber Band Gun.

                                      Ah.... That would be fun...
                                      > Posted by: "wodeford"

                                      > Firearms/black powder weapons are prohibited for SCA use.

                                      I didn't know that. No demos???

                                      > What I believe Jim meant was that percussion cap technology did not
                                      > exist during SCA period.

                                      Exactly.

                                      > If you don't learn how to fire it safely, you have no business with
                                      > any sort of firearm, siege weapon, bow/arrow, slingshot. Period. The End.

                                      I cannot agree more. Find someone to train with if you aren't familiar
                                      with black powder muzzleloaders. If you want an RBG, it would be trivial
                                      to make. Water pipe, brass plate, etc would make a good model. Just make
                                      sure you make the barrel non functional so some idiot doesn't try to
                                      shoot it.

                                      Jim