Book on Japanese Calligraphy

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2008
      It is not really a book, but this website http://www.shodokai.com has
      a number of products including lessons on cd. You can send in your
      calligraphy for an evaluation and grading. It is still not as good as
      a live instructor in front of you, but it at least allows for some
      feedback. It does require a bit more financial commitment then the
      cost of a few books, but it is not too bad. I saw one website that
      charged more and all you got was 2 books, no video, no supplies, and
      it only taught like 15-20 kanji. I purchased the lesson and material
      kit, and I am trying to work my way through it. I have not really
      gotten far enough for a complete evaluation, but so far I like what I
      have seen. I am not sure if it is something you'd like. But, if you
      are interested in shodo and are unable to get live instruction, I
      would suggest looking into it.