Re: book on Japanese Calligraphy

  • autumnriver
    Message 1 of 21 , May 8, 2008
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "panimagdalena56" <nunother56@...> wrote:

      > I am looking to buy (or receive as a gift) a book on Japanese
      > Calligraphy. While I paint and am at least familiar with brushes, this
      > will be an new style for me.

      I am fascinated with Japanese calligraphy and have several books on
      the subject. I think the most useful introductory text is _An
      Introduction to Japanese Calligraphy_ by Yuuko Suzuki (ISBN
      1844480577). It's a short book, but provides a lot of examples and
      briefly covers the important styles. Another good book is _Sho:
      Japanese Calligraphy, An In-depth to the Art of Writing Characters_ by
      Christopher Earnshaw (ISBN 0804815682). Not as many visual examples,
      but goes into deeper text explanations.

      It helps if you know at least hiragana. There are several books that
      introduce hiragana (the one I used was _A Guide to Learning Hiragana
      and Katakana_ by Kenneth Henshall and Tetsuo Takagaki, but there are
      many others that will do just as well.) To look up kanji
      stroke-order, _A Guide to Writing Kanji and Kana_ by Wolfgang
      Hadamitsky and Mark Spahn is a good place to start. Again, there are
      other fine texts available on the subject as well.

      If you are doing research and looking to find period examples, try to
      locate a copy of _The Art of Japanese Calligraphy_ by Yujiro Nakata
      (ISBN 0834810131). It's out of print, but there are used copies
      around or you might be able to get it through inter-library loan.

      All of these books are in English.

      If you are lucky and live in an area that has any classes on Japanese
      Calligraphy, take a class! I live in rural Iowa myself, but I did
      have the opportunity to take a class a few summers ago, which really
      helped. Some things just can't be explained in a book.

      Hope this is helpful.

      Ki no Kotori
    • James Eckman
      Message 2 of 21 , May 8, 2008
        > Posted by: "autumnriver" tace@... autumnriver
        >
        > If you are doing research and looking to find period examples, try to
        > locate a copy of _The Art of Japanese Calligraphy_ by Yujiro Nakata
        > (ISBN 0834810131). It's out of print, but there are used copies
        > around or you might be able to get it through inter-library loan.

        I'm not sure if I've seen this one, the local libraries do have it. Thanks!

        I have some links and such on this page, mostly about seals but some
        about Chinese calligraphy.
        http://home.comcast.net/%7Eronin_engineer/calligraphy.html

        > If you are lucky and live in an area that has any classes on Japanese
        > Calligraphy, take a class!

        I recommend that as well, it will improve your painting as well.

        Jim Eckman
        Message 3 of 21 , May 8, 2008

          Greetings from Solveig! I can not resist giving a book recommendation:

          Sorry, I have to wait till I get back to my office to get this one.

          For inkan carving:

          Title: 標準篆刻篆書字典
          Publisher: 二玄社
          Release: Mar 1987
          Pages: 304
          ISBN: 4544012090
          ASIN: 4544012090
          LCCN: NK3634.A4 S433 1987
          Format: 単行本
          Price: ¥ 2,940
          Date Added: 11 Oct 2007
          Rating: 5.0 (2 votes)

          Title: 篆刻にしたしむ本 牛窪 梧十
          Publisher: 二玄社
          Place Published: Tokyo
          Release: Mar 1987
          Pages: 90
          ISBN: 4544011213
          ASIN: 4544011213
          Format: 単行本
          Price: ¥ 1,260
          Date Added: 27 Jul 2007
          Rating: 4.0 (1 votes)

        • Catie F
          Message 4 of 21 , May 9, 2008
            I know of a website that shows the stroke order of the kana and a few kanji. Each one has a short animation with a little brush "painting" the character. http://members.aol.com/writejapan/#kanji I do not know if it'd be any help to you.

            Kanamori no Tatsume

            I am looking to buy (or receive as a gift) a book on Japanese
            Calligraphy. While I paint and am at least familiar with brushes, this
            will be an new style for me.

            I would love to hear from others their recommendations on a book for a
            beginner. Feel free to email me privately.

            Mushime

          • James Eckman
            Message 5 of 21 , May 9, 2008
              > Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir"
              >
              > Greetings from Solveig! I can not resist giving a book recommendation:
              > Sorry, I have to wait till I get back to my office to get this one.
              >
              > Title: 標準篆刻篆書字典
              > Title: 篆刻にしたしむ本 牛窪 梧十

              Does this mean you are ordering them? I'd be interested in what you
              think. I have many of the 二玄社 books in Chinese reprints, these go
              back to the 80's, so 標準篆刻篆書字典 may be available as well. I'm
              going to China again this year, so I will try and hunt it down. At ~$4
              each, they are well worth it!

              Jim Eckman
              Message 6 of 21 , May 10, 2008

                >> Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir"
                >>
                >> Greetings from Solveig! I can not resist giving a book
                >> recommendation:
                >> Sorry, I have to wait till I get back to my office to get this one.
                >>
                >> Title: 標準篆刻篆書字典
                >> Title: 篆刻にしたしむ本 牛窪 梧十
                >
                > Does this mean you are ordering them?

                No. It means that I own them. I have been cataloging my personal
                library with Bookpedia. I wasn't quite able to find a calligraphy
                book which I have in my office. I may not have cataloged it yet. The
                two books have to do with inkan carving. I fell asleep shortly after
                getting back to town last night.

                Message 7 of 21 , May 10, 2008

                  Greetings from Solveig! Here are some Japanese calligraphy books:

                  Title: 角川書道字典
                  Edition: 219版;〔縮約・携帯版〕
                  Publisher: 角川書店
                  Release: Jan 1977
                  Pages: 1406
                  ISBN: 4040203003
                  Format: -

                  Title: 楷行草 筆順・字体字典
                  Edition: 第二版
                  Publisher: 三省堂
                  Release: Dec 2002
                  Pages: 748
                  ISBN: 4385150494
                  Format: 単行本

                  Title: 書道・創作入門コツのコツ―好きな言葉や詩
                  を書く
                  Author: 石飛 博光
                  Publisher: 日本放送出版協会
                  Release: May 2003
                  Pages: 111
                  ISBN: 9784141878889
                  Format: 単行本

                  Title: 漢字筆順ハンドブック―正しくきれいな字を
                  書くための
                  Author: 江守 賢治
                  Publisher: 三省堂
                  Release: Feb 1982
                  Pages: 244
                  ISBN: 9784385200743
                  Format: 単行本

                • James Eckman
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 10, 2008
                    > Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir"
                    >
                    > Greetings from Solveig! Here are some Japanese calligraphy books:
                    Cool!!! Bookpedia looks interesting as well. Looks like a serious
                    library management package. Do you like it?

                    Jim Eckman
                    Who has way too many books.
                    http://home.comcast.net/%7Eronin_engineer/books.jpg
                    Not all of them by any means....
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 10, 2008

                      > Cool!!! Bookpedia looks interesting as well. Looks like a serious
                      > library management package. Do you like it?

                      It's not bad especially considering the price. You can enter ISBN
                      data using either a scanner or a web camera. Annoying things include
                      the mechanism for entering downloading "advanced information" such as
                      LOC and Dewey numbers. While they have a "cascade" feature for
                      initial entry, they have not implemented a "cascade" feature for
                      entering "advanced information". Then again, the product is currently
                      under active development. Sometimes I like features of the old
                      version better than the "improved" features of the new version.
                      However, I am still using it and plan to continue using it.

                    • karenpendergast64
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 12, 2008
                        Hello, Mushime --

                        Might I suppose that you're looking for beginner's books -- as opposed works that
                        document museum collections, exhibition guides, or historical overviews?

                        I'm also guessing that you're looking for affordable, readily available texts. There's not
                        much point in people listing tomes that are decades old, prohibitively expensive, and
                        probably requiring the specialized services of a book importer.

                        So, with that in mind, I believe that Christopher J. Earnshaw's 'Sho: Japanese Calligraphy' is
                        an excellent introductory work. He provides ample discussions on all aspects of practising
                        this elegant art: shodô and its function in social history, its holy sages, the care of
                        materials, and many other important aspects. I'm not particularly fond of his 'kaisho' style.
                        The many 'o-tehon' [practice sheets] he provides are, well, not in my opinion the nicest.
                        Still, he is one of the first Westerners to formally hold one of the top grades of a 'shihan'
                        license, so who am I to judge?

                        One of the most recent editions (Feb 2008) of NHK's wonderful series 'Shumi yûyû' [Time
                        for a Hobby] was entirely dedicated to shodô. It was *fantastic*. Acting as a kind of tele-
                        course, you could watch and learn through this programme and its daily lessons. As
                        always, 'Shumi yûyû' provides an accompanying textbook for study:

                        http://www.e-hon.ne.jp/bec/SA/Detail?
                        refShinCode=0100000000000007196820&Action_id=121&Sza_id=C0

                        The o-tehon are perfect for learning the basics. Carefully organised lessons develop
                        through detailed depictions of brush-point control into analysis of space and balance in a
                        scroll. Since this programme is very popular, you should be able to find it (without special
                        ordering) at any North American bookshop that caters to a Japanese readership.

                        Obviously, there is an incredible selection of books on these topics. But the two above are
                        exemplary works for introductory study.

                        Happy scripting.
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 13, 2008

                          > Since this programme is very popular, you should be able to find it
                          > (without special
                          > ordering) at any North American bookshop that caters to a Japanese
                          > readership.
                          Having purchased books from such stores in the past and purchased
                          books from
                          Amazon, I can say that Amazon was (last time I looked) rather more
                          economical than
                          patronizing a North-American Japanese book store. Alas, Amazon has
                          discontinued
                          SAL shipments and will now only ship via Air Express companies which
                          are rather
                          more expensive. So, maybe I will have to do some comparison shopping
                          between
                          kinocuniya.co.jp and amazon.co.,jp. Setting up my Kinokuniya account
                          was rather
                          more difficult than setting up my Amazon account, but Kinokuniya may
                          be easier now.

                        • Horatius at the Bridge
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 15, 2008
                            Does anyone know of someone making Teppo RBGs? There used to be a gentleman that did them several years ago, but I've heard he passed away.

                            Alternatively, if theres someone that makes functioning black powder teppo (preferably percussion cap. Matchlock and flintlock get a bit messy.) I'd love to find them as well.

                            Thank you in advance.Computers are alot like Old Testament gods; a lot of rules and absolutely no mercy. -- Joseph Campbell
                          • James Eckman
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 16, 2008
                              > "Horatius at the Bridge"
                              At least it's not "A dark and stormy night" ;)

                              > Does anyone know of someone making Teppo RBGs?

                              What's an RBGs?

                              > Alternatively, if theres someone that makes functioning black powder teppo

                              There are a done of repro dealers selling more modern stuff, worse comes
                              to worse you could buy a barrel and build one:
                              http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~wew/Tattershall-tb/ml.html
                              http://www.luckhardt.com/capgray13.html

                              etc...

                              Also if it doesn't use a matchlock, it's not for SCA use! Everything
                              else is post period.

                              Jim
                            • Diane Taylor
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 16, 2008
                                Is there a website that has printable Go Boards?

                                I would like to actually put it on fabric so it will fit into a pouch.

                                Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

                                Message 15 of 21 , May 16, 2008
                                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Diane Taylor <qara0@...> wrote:

                                  > Is there a website that has printable Go Boards?

                                  It's grid 18 squares by 18 squares.
                                  http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Go_game_example.png

                                  Try this - http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
                                  Really.

                                • Horatius at the Bridge
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 17, 2008
                                    RBG= Rubber Band Gun. Well, technically, they shot a length of surgical tubing. Not really attempting to be period, they were just fun.

                                    As for using something other than matchlock, I just have a fear of watching the upper powder charge explode in my face because I did something wrong. While I would like to shoot a period weapon, I much prefer the safety and reliability of a percussion cap weapon manufactured from modern steel and fired with modern black or smokeless powder. Yes, that might make me a heretic, but I like to keep all my limbs and pointy bits attached. Computers are alot like Old Testament gods; a lot of rules and absolutely no mercy. -- Joseph Campbell

                                    To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.comFrom: ronin_engineer@...: Fri, 16 May 2008 16:23:28 -0700Subject: [SCA-JML] Re: Teppo

                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 17, 2008
                                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Horatius at the Bridge
                                      <horatius314@...> wrote:

                                      > RBG= Rubber Band Gun. Well, technically, they shot a length of
                                      surgical tubing. Not really attempting to be period, they were just fun.

                                      > As for using something other than matchlock, I just have a fear of
                                      watching the upper powder charge explode in my face because I did
                                      something wrong.

                                      Firearms/black powder weapons are prohibited for SCA use. What I
                                      believe Jim meant was that percussion cap technology did not exist
                                      during SCA period.

                                      You want to shoot at non-SCA events, go for it, as long as you are
                                      complying with their rules.

                                      I got to play with some 18th century flintlocks once, including a
                                      Brown Bess, which is like cradling a freaking cannon in your arms. A
                                      matchlock is a lot slower and safer. I also periodically go out with
                                      an English Civil War group.

                                      Flintlocks and matchlocks require that powder be charged into the
                                      priming pan. This ignited by the application of slow match to the
                                      touch hole or by the flint striking a spark. Both ignite relatively
                                      slowly compared to modern gunpowder. Both are subject to the
                                      occasional hangfire. I had two hangfires with the Bess. I'd done
                                      everything correctly, according to my instructor. He'd watched
                                      everything I'd done. It fired on the third try with an extra shot of
                                      powder in the pan. Safely.

                                      If you don't learn how to fire it safely, you have no business with
                                      any sort of firearm, siege weapon, bow/arrow, slingshot. Period. The End.

                                    • Horatius at the Bridge
                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 17, 2008
                                        I understand that firearms of any type are prohibited at SCA events. I was simply looking for a new experience. I've fired many modern and pre-modern firearms. The design of the Teppo was so unique that I was interested in firing one simoly out of curiousity. Thats all.

                                        And my concern with using flintlock and matchlock weapons stems from watching demonstrations of them and seeing uncontrolled detonations of the fine powder in the firing pans. I'd really like to avoid such things. Computers are alot like Old Testament gods; a lot of rules and absolutely no mercy. -- Joseph Campbell

                                        To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.comFrom: wodeford@...: Sun, 18 May 2008 04:11:13 +0000Subject: [SCA-JML] Re: Teppo

                                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Horatius at the Bridge<horatius314@...> wrote:>> > RBG= Rubber Band Gun. Well, technically, they shot a length ofsurgical tubing. Not really attempting to be period, they were just fun.> > As for using something other than matchlock, I just have a fear ofwatching the upper powder charge explode in my face because I didsomething wrong.Firearms/black powder weapons are prohibited for SCA use. What Ibelieve Jim meant was that percussion cap technology did not existduring SCA period. You want to shoot at non-SCA events, go for it, as long as you arecomplying with their rules. I got to play with some 18th century flintlocks once, including aBrown Bess, which is like cradling a freaking cannon in your arms. Amatchlock is a lot slower and safer. I also periodically go out withan English Civil War group. Flintlocks and matchlocks require that powder be charged into thepriming pan. This ignited by the application of slow match to thetouch hole or by the flint striking a spark. Both ignite relativelyslowly compared to modern gunpowder. Both are subject to theoccasional hangfire. I had two hangfires with the Bess. I'd doneeverything correctly, according to my instructor. He'd watchedeverything I'd done. It fired on the third try with an extra shot ofpowder in the pan. Safely. If you don't learn how to fire it safely, you have no business withany sort of firearm, siege weapon, bow/arrow, slingshot. Period. The End. Saionji no HanaeWest Kingdom

                                      • ninjetterah
                                        Message 19 of 21 , May 18, 2008
                                          Here's a 13x13 go board:
                                          http://www.dfki.uni-kl.de/~grimnes/2007/03/goboard/13x13_a3.pdf
                                          and here's a 19x19 go board:
                                          http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/Blank_Go_board.png
                                          awws I can't find a black and white one. I guess you could set it to
                                          print greyscale.. I have a 19x19 printed out go board but I can't
                                          find the site anymore. That's annoying. I'm going to keep looking
                                          for it though. The black and white one I have is printed out on 4
                                          pages and taped together.

                                          Here's an awesome site with printable tsumego problem books. Around
                                          800 tsumego problems for different difficulty levels. Do you play on
                                          KGS? I do off and on, I'm RahRah on there. Also, there is
                                          http://www.dragongoserver.com it's a turn-based go website Rah on that
                                          one. ^.^ Umm. Sorry I couldn't be much more help. This is actually
                                          my first time posting on here. Good luck^.^

                                          タカコ
                                          (for now. till I learn the Kanji for it.)
                                        • James Eckman
                                          Message 20 of 21 , May 18, 2008
                                            > RBG= Rubber Band Gun.

                                            Ah.... That would be fun...
                                            > Posted by: "wodeford"

                                            > Firearms/black powder weapons are prohibited for SCA use.

                                            I didn't know that. No demos???

                                            > What I believe Jim meant was that percussion cap technology did not
                                            > exist during SCA period.

                                            Exactly.

                                            > If you don't learn how to fire it safely, you have no business with
                                            > any sort of firearm, siege weapon, bow/arrow, slingshot. Period. The End.

                                            I cannot agree more. Find someone to train with if you aren't familiar
                                            with black powder muzzleloaders. If you want an RBG, it would be trivial
                                            to make. Water pipe, brass plate, etc would make a good model. Just make
                                            sure you make the barrel non functional so some idiot doesn't try to
                                            shoot it.

                                            Jim