Re: [SCA-JML] Quick Questions

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2008
      On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:14 AM, seven_add1 <seven_add1@...> wrote:

      > Did they knit in feudal Japan? Weren't tabi socks always made out of
      > woven cloth and not knitted? The author had someone knitting tabi
      > socks. Knitting has always been a Western thing I thought. I want to
      > correct her through a private message but I wanted to double check
      > that what I was thinking was correct.

      I'm not familiar with any type of 'knitting' in Japan until more
      recent Western contact.

      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2008

        Greetings from Solveig! Even properly made modern tabi are woven and
        not knitted.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2008
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "seven_add1" <seven_add1@...> wrote:
          > Did they knit in feudal Japan?

          No. The author is either messing with you (it IS fiction, after all)
          or just plain wrong.

          This site makes some rather far fetched claims about "knitted" items
          in early Japan, but it's a stretch to say that basket weaving or
          net-making is be knitting.
          http://www.knitjapan.co.uk/j_select/pages/japanknitting_pt1.php
          http://www.knitjapan.co.uk/j_select/pages/japanknitting_pt1_p2.php

          I hope Fujiwara no Nagamochi sees this - he's a fibergeek and a
          knitter and he may know more.

        • seven_add1
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2008
            Thank you everyone for your answers.
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2008
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "seven_add1" <seven_add1@...> wrote:

              > Thank you everyone for your answers.

              No worries. Fiction is fiction. Some fiction writers do a lot of
              really good, detailed research, some don't do any at all. It is what
              it is. ;-D

              Saionji no Hanae
              West