Quick Questions

  • seven_add1
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2008
      Hey. I was reading this story that took place long time ago, it was a
      fan fiction to an anime but the setting was suppose to be just like
      feudal Japan. I think the author did something incorrect and I just
      wanted to make sure.

      Did they knit in feudal Japan? Weren't tabi socks always made out of
      woven cloth and not knitted? The author had someone knitting tabi
      socks. Knitting has always been a Western thing I thought. I want to
      correct her through a private message but I wanted to double check
      that what I was thinking was correct.

      Kanamori no Tatsume
    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2008
        On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:14 AM, seven_add1 <seven_add1@...> wrote:

        > Did they knit in feudal Japan? Weren't tabi socks always made out of
        > woven cloth and not knitted? The author had someone knitting tabi
        > socks. Knitting has always been a Western thing I thought. I want to
        > correct her through a private message but I wanted to double check
        > that what I was thinking was correct.

        I'm not familiar with any type of 'knitting' in Japan until more
        recent Western contact.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2008

          Greetings from Solveig! Even properly made modern tabi are woven and
          not knitted.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2008
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "seven_add1" <seven_add1@...> wrote:
            > Did they knit in feudal Japan?

            No. The author is either messing with you (it IS fiction, after all)
            or just plain wrong.

            This site makes some rather far fetched claims about "knitted" items
            in early Japan, but it's a stretch to say that basket weaving or
            net-making is be knitting.
            http://www.knitjapan.co.uk/j_select/pages/japanknitting_pt1.php
            http://www.knitjapan.co.uk/j_select/pages/japanknitting_pt1_p2.php

            I hope Fujiwara no Nagamochi sees this - he's a fibergeek and a
            knitter and he may know more.

          • seven_add1
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1, 2008
              Thank you everyone for your answers.
              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2008
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "seven_add1" <seven_add1@...> wrote:

                > Thank you everyone for your answers.

                No worries. Fiction is fiction. Some fiction writers do a lot of
                really good, detailed research, some don't do any at all. It is what
                it is. ;-D

                Saionji no Hanae
                West